Texting and driving is now illegal in MN! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Texting and driving is now illegal in MN!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Texting and driving is now illegal in MN!

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:27 am

The biggest factor in this whole conversation is your awareness, and that’s the point on many levels. There’s your level of awareness of the things going on around you while driving, and there’s your awareness of your driving ability. Cell phones hamper your awareness level just like any other distractive thing like a radio, passengers or issues with your car.

There’s also the factor of your awareness of your skills as a driver. Not everyone is a good driver. Most people think they are good drivers, but they have no idea what’s going on around them, what happens at various speeds, the dimensions of their car or the space around them, how to get out of a dangerous situation if it occurs, etc. Combine a poor level of awareness with a poor driver, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster whether they’re using a cell phone or whatever.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:06 am

I've found that most young people(16-25) think they are really good drivers when in fact they're not. They tend to drive fast and do things that are way above their skill level, like driving at high speeds, aggressively changing lanes, or even talking on their phones or texting. And just because they've gotten away with these things they think they can handle it. I know this because I was young once and learned the hard way. Being lucky and being a good driver are two different things. Personally I'd rather be a good driver, thats why I try to do everything in my power to keep myself safe and focused when I'm driving. There is nothing more important than concentrating on driving when you're behind the wheel.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 am

When I was 16 I was the world's greatest driver. I could do anything, and I was master of the road. Sure, there were a couple of hiccups along the way, like the time I backed out of my parking stall and took out the bumper of the car across the way because I was too busy looking at the hot chick walking through the parking lot, and there was the other time I rolled my car end-for-end several times in a field when I lost control on a gravel road going 85 mph. I mean, aside from those two minor mishaps, I was an excellent driver.

:-b

After a couple of lessons learned the hard way, I finally started paying attention to my dad's lessons and figured out how to really drive, and I've been golden since, aside from a speeding ticket here and there. But yeah, Met, most kids do tend to think they're really good at something that it takes years to truly master. That's the nature of a kid, though.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:29 am

knapplc wrote:When I was 16 I was the world's greatest driver. I could do anything, and I was master of the road. Sure, there were a couple of hiccups along the way, like the time I backed out of my parking stall and took out the bumper of the car across the way because I was too busy looking at the hot chick walking through the parking lot, and there was the other time I rolled my car end-for-end several times in a field when I lost control on a gravel road going 85 mph. I mean, aside from those two minor mishaps, I was an excellent driver.

:-b

After a couple of lessons learned the hard way, I finally started paying attention to my dad's lessons and figured out how to really drive, and I've been golden since, aside from a speeding ticket here and there. But yeah, Met, most kids do tend to think they're really good at something that it takes years to truly master. That's the nature of a kid, though.

I rolled a car end over end too! I was speeding and trying to change the cassette tape, a truck changed lanes in front of me and I lost control. If I hadn't been speeding or was focused on the road things probably would have been different. Lucky for me I didn't hit anybody and only totaled the car I was driving....my friends girlfriends car. 8-o
Metroid

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 am

Metroid wrote:I was speeding and trying to change the cassette tape,

Dood, you're like really old. :-* :-b :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:10 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:

The first car I owned had an 8-track player. I didn't get that new-fangled cassette tape technology until my second car. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 am

knapplc wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

The first car I owned had an 8-track player. I didn't get that new-fangled cassette tape technology until my second car. ;-)

LOL!!! My first car had an 8-track too!!! It was a 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. :-b
Metroid

Postby wake » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:18 am

sportsaddict wrote:I don't really think the physical act of holding your cell phone to your ear while driving is unsafe. One-handed driving is used by most everybody and isn't putting anyone at risk. What's risky about using a cell phone is that you do get "lost in the conversation," like you said, and you aren't paying attention to the road as much as you should. So I don't see any difference between using a regular cell or a hands-free cell- they are equally dangerous.

I know I have a much harder time trying to drive while holding a phone in my manual transmission car. If I have to talk while driving now I'll either use an earpiece, put it on speaker, or at least wait until I'm comfortably in 5th gear on a highway.
wake
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:46 am

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

LOL!!! My first car had an 8-track too!!! It was a 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. :-b

WOW! :-b

That's alright, I even listened to eight-tracks and records when I was really little. :-b Of course, they were my dad's and grandpas, but I still did.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:56 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:WOW! :-b

That's alright, I even listened to eight-tracks and records when I was really little. :-b Of course, they were my dad's and grandpas, but I still did.

Yeah the car was handed down to me from my dad. The only 8-tracks I had were like Kenny Rodgers, John Denver, and the Carpenters. :-b

That was until I was at a thrift store downtown and bought a box of 8-tracks for like 5 bucks. There were a few AC DC, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, and Beatles tapes in there to name a few. B-)
Metroid

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk