First PS3 Game: GTA IV or Metal Gear Solid 4 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

First PS3 Game: GTA IV or Metal Gear Solid 4

Moderator: Football Moderators

First PS3 Game: GTA IV or Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby lsufan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:46 pm

I just purchased a PS3 online. I will likely get it around the time MGS 4 comes out. If you could only pick one game which would you pick? GTA IV received perfect 10's when reviewed. My favorite game right now is COD 4. I will eventually own both but will only be buying one when I pick up the system at walmart.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: First PS3 Game: GTA IV or Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Both are must-owns, but if I were you I'd go with GTAIV first. How often does a game get a perfect 10 rating?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:21 am

hard to say really since metal gear isnt out yet so theres nothing really to compare it to. GTA is fun, but im guessing MGS is going to be pretty sweet too. id probably go with the safe bet and get GTA. the single player alone is immersive to make it a must-play. i wouldnt go as far as to say its deserving of the 10 rating though. multi blows. not much replay value either, but im guessing thats the same with MGS. ive already preordered MGS...so ill have a better idea by this time next week :-B
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lsufan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:54 pm

I probably will not get my PS3 until around the release of MGS 4. I think I am leaning toward MGS 4. I might be making a trip to Game Stop to preorder it soon. Thanks for the advice guys.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:58 am

lsufan wrote:I probably will not get my PS3 until around the release of MGS 4. I think I am leaning toward MGS 4. I might be making a trip to Game Stop to preorder it soon. Thanks for the advice guys.

While GTA is unbelievable, and I think there is a good chance that it ends up being the superior game, I would wait until MGS comes out and make it the first game I get if I was you. You will be able to pick up GTA when you are done and play the heck out of it too, so you can't go wrong either way ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Over GTA4 and MGS4?
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Yes, though I've never been that into the Metal Gear series so obviously if someone's played each of the other 3 that could change things. GTA4 is a great game, but it's basically GTA3 with a cooler main character.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other though, Uncharted holds its value better than gold. You can buy it used or on ebay and sell it on ebay/craigslist for just as much. It doesn't take long to play through and it's a great ride.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:34 am

Free Bagel wrote:Yes, though I've never been that into the Metal Gear series so obviously if someone's played each of the other 3 that could change things. GTA4 is a great game, but it's basically GTA3 with a cooler main character.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other though, Uncharted holds its value better than gold. You can buy it used or on ebay and sell it on ebay/craigslist for just as much. It doesn't take long to play through and it's a great ride.

It did look like a pretty sweet game, I might check out Goozex and see how cheap it's going for.

Also, keeping to the subject of the thread, I now have changed my mind and advise you to go with MGS4 as your first game. The reason I say this is because thousands of PS3 (and xbox 360) owners are having disc error/freezing issues with GTA4, and in the cases of PS3 owners, some of them are actually having their consoles break because of this issue. ROckstar is working on a patch to correct the problem, but if I were you I'd play MGS4 and any other number of games while waiting for Rockstar to figure out what hte problem is. Don't risk ruining your PS3 over playing GTA4, especially when MGS4 is probably going to be mind blowing.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:31 am

Uncharted is PS3 only Bago, so you're out of luck.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Video Games