Best waiver wire system - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Best waiver wire system

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best waiver wire system

Postby kidwithhelmet » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:30 am

I've been playing fantasy football for years but am embarassed to admit I have really over-looked my league's waiver wire system. It's basically just been a first come first serve basis for FA pickups, and all released players go on waivers (Which leads to problems as you may know). As my league takes on its 5th year I would really like to implement a proper waiver system, please throw out some ideas. We run our league via fanball, which usually supports a bunch of different capabilities so get creative if you need to. Thanks!
kidwithhelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best waiver wire system

Postby Pjluva10 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:08 pm

I have also gone back and forth on the WW setup on some leagues. I also still run open free agency where players can be added and dropped freely. In my mind it encourages regular activity within the league. This league has been running for 12 years and after that amount of time Im not sure it has pulled that many owners in deeper if you will. We still have 1 or 2 teams that will visit the site only 1 or 2 times a week, and then 1 that comes by maybe once per week, if that. As a result they usually miss out on playersand end up missing the playoffs most years.

If you have a league full of completely active owners I would implement a WW system. I personally would make it 2 days which gives you the mix of results. The active owners can still be rewarded as well as the more passive owners having a chance to better their teams if they are semi active.
Pjluva10
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kidwithhelmet » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:19 pm

I am proud to say that fantasy is usually the most important thing to all 12 members of my league. I am more looking for some definition of how people choose to run there waivers. Like, in mine, players can be added whenever and the only time they go into waivers is when they are released from a team. The problem I am seeing, is that 2 or 3 guys sit around on Sundays and pickup all the hot free agents mid-game, thus negating the point of a waiver system in the first place. Right?
kidwithhelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BigBadBrawler » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:24 pm

You'd probably have more luck getting informative answers if you posted this in the Commish's Corner Forum of the Cafe. Those guys have all had to set up Waiver systems for their respective leagues and would be much more able to help you out with the pros and cons of different systems... ;-D
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:48 pm

For most leagues, inverse order of current standings is fairest. It encourages people to do waivers most weeks, without favoring people just because they have internet access. It does get a little hairy at the end of the year when half the league is out of it, so the last playoff contender ends up with the hot out-of-nowhere RB which helps them to an upset. If it's low stakes, it's probably fine.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby srlarson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 am

We have a two tier Waiver system.

First Tier, Owner bid Real $ 1-5 on the pickup they want, then they are granted based upon $bid and last weeks finish. We do this at noon Thursday. So if two owners bid $5 to pickup player A, the one who finished lower the prior week gets the player for $5.

Second Tier: after Noon thursday it's first come first serve on players.

Only exception we put in place is a player dropped cannot be picked back up until the following week. Results of this is building the pickup pool, which helps payouts. We have some guys who spend big on everyone and some who keep a lid on it.....it adds an interesting dynamic.
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 pm

What I find to be the most fair is some sort of bid process. This eliminates the possibility of team going from worst to first because they were "good" enough to be the worst team for a couple of weeks when 2 hot pick-ups became available. The bid process is more cumbersome to manage, but I've yet to see a better way that places a waiver pick-up squarely on the shoulders of the owner to determine the players worth and not get out-lucked for a pick-up.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hubarooski » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:30 pm

My main league used to do the first com, first serve on tuesday mornings and it was a race to pick people up at 8am. There were usually 4-5 ppl that morning scrambling for the hot players. I don't think this is bad way to do it, it just handicaps some people. I wouldn't say that it allowed some teams to be better than others because many of the owners were smart and had key reserves handcuffed on a team.

Personally, I feel the bidding process which has caught on in most leagues is the fairest and best way to do it. We have an imaginary $100 to spend on WW pickups. It allows you to evaluate how much a FA is worth to your team and spend your money accordingly. We did bidding for players were awarded Wed and Friday. AOL also has the option to assign a value to a player, so any player could be picked up Saturday or Sunday for $2. This helps if you were counting on getting a player and didn't. You could still fill the roster spot on Sunday morning. I think this facilitates people checking into the site a couple times a week to see if they "won" a player and also doesn't penalized a player if he doesn't check the site 5 times a day.

One system I hate is the open WW all the time. I hate being busy on a Sunday and not being able to follow every game, then log into the site and find that 5 players have already been scooped up before the Sunday night game has even started.
Hubarooski
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bobby P » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:28 am

This is our waiver system (modeled from NFl.com's standards) I copied and pasted the following from their rule book. - To provide an equal opportunity for all owners to add players to their roster, a Waivers process is used. Requests for players that are on Waivers are not executed immediately, but are put in a pending status.
All players will be placed on Waivers at the start of games every Sunday afternoon, at 12:55 PM ET during the course of the NFL season. If there are NFL games scheduled for Thursday or Saturday, only the players from those teams will be placed on Waivers five (5) minutes prior to the start of their respective games.
Any player that is new to the player pool will be placed on Waivers, and subject to the league.s Waiver process.
The Waiver process allows multiple teams to request the same players. Most weeknights between midnight and 6:00:00 AM ET, NFL.com will process all of the pending requests. The order in which these requests are processed is based on the Waiver Rank of each team. The table below lists when an NFL player is on Waivers and for how long.
- Waiver Rank
During the waiver process, pending transactions are processed in an order determined by each team's waiver rank. The team with a waiver rank of 1, considered the highest, will get its first requested player. After the transaction is executed, the team's waiver rank is then set to 12 (last), and all other teams move up one. The waiver ranks are reset once each week after standings are updated on Monday night/Tuesday morning. The last-place team (based on won/lost record) will be given the waiver rank of 1, down to the first-place team, which gets the waiver rank of 12. We'll use the following criteria to break any ties for waiver rank:
A waiver wire keeps the league fair and competetive - rock on!
Bobby P
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Steeltowne Commish_The Slovene » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:56 am

Bidding/Auction. We use NFL.com and last year began to use what they call a Free Agent Auction Budget (F.A.A.B.).
1. You can set it at any amount. We use $100 and that begins after the draft.

2. It allows everyone an opportunity to get a player, so long as they've wisely used their resources. A waiver order does come into play if 2 guys bid the same. Priority goes the team higher on the rotation, which for is is reverse of standings for each week. No more Sunday vultures.

3. All FA are obtained through bidding. We allow $0 bids, so if no one else is interested, you don't have to waste your budget. Drop period is only 1 day for us.

4. D. Brees, R. Grant both went for over $30 each last year. Desparation determines price.

5. Several guys used up their budget by the end of the season.

6. It is also a means of imposing fines. If a guys fails to fill out his roster on a bye, or make appropriate salary cap cuts by a certain date, I fine them $5 F.A.A.B. bucks.

7. We run it every day, Tuesday through Saturday.

If you use NFL.com, go under Setup > League Rules > Transactions > Add Drop Policy > Automated Auction Process (F.A.A.B.)
"He who puts on the armor ought not to boast like him who takes it off."
Steeltowne Commish_The Slovene
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner