Man unearths box filled with Depression-era cash - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man unearths box filled with Depression-era cash

Moderator: Football Moderators

Man unearths box filled with Depression-era cash

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 am

Pretty cool, I have a couple old 1 dollar silver certificates from the early 20's. They say "Silver Certificate" where it says "Federal Reserve Note" now. ;-D

Dan Deming had heard the rumors about the buried treasure on his central Wisconsin farm.

At first he made some halfhearted attempts to find it, and then searched in earnest for two or three years after receiving a metal detector for his birthday.

"I don't know what I thought, if I thought it was really there or not," he said.

The mystery ended recently while Deming was tearing down a 100-year-old shed on his property. A rusted box tumbled from the rubble and wads of currency dating back to the Depression spilled on the ground.

"I couldn't believe it. I started running to the house with it," Deming, 34, said Sunday. "My wife thought I broke my arm because I was just hooting and hollering."

The bills were so deteriorated that it was hard to count the money. But the box also contained scraps of newspaper with dollar amounts written on them, a possible tally of the loot.

Linkage
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Man unearths box filled with Depression-era cash

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 pm

That would be fun. It's always pretty cool to find something really old and with a possible history, but to find it the way he did had to be pretty cool.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: Man unearths box filled with Depression-era cash

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:08 pm

While the cash was prescribed Zoloft for its depression, upon learning the current value of the dollar, it feel into a suicidal funk.

Remember a few years back when some guys doing general contracting work on someone's house found a chest full of old coins or something worth a decent amount. They connived a story about how they found it and went on every TV show they could to promote themselves. They didn't have their stories straight however which ended up getting them busted for theft.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Return to General Talk