What do you recommend i do 1st 3 rounds? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

What do you recommend i do 1st 3 rounds?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What do you recommend i do 1st 3 rounds?

Postby Brownsfan685 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Would it be better to draft all the best RBs i can get in the 1st 3 rounds (with a handcuff maybe in there somewhere), .......or should i grab a good QB (like Tom Brady) in the 2nd and invest in a Handcuff pair of RBs starting the 3rd?..you loose something no matter what..
Brownsfan685
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What do you recommend i do 1st 3 rounds?

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:54 pm

First off, read over this thread from last year and you'll get some good ideas:
viewtopic.php?t=329323

A lot depends on: size of your league; scoring system for your league; starting lineups for your league (ie - how many RB's and WR's do you start, do you have a flex position, etc); what position do you draft in; what is the best player left on the board when you pick; is it a redraft or a keeper league, etc

If it's a 12 team league, I generally try and go RB, RB, WR (depending who's available) since starting RB's will be at a premium - in a 10 teamer I may go either RB, RB, WR, or RB, WR, RB, but ad stated earlier, that depends what position I'm drafting in and who's available. I generally wait until later for a QB, usually around the 5th or 6th.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Venom » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:00 am

99% of the time I go RB, RB, WR with my first three.

And like Rob said, it all depends on roster space and scoring. If your roster is QB, RB, WR,WR, Flex, TE, K, D/ST with one point per reception, I would more than likely get my RB first and go right to WR since they will have more points available with the PPR. I'd probably use my flex for a WR too, if the scoring system favored them.

Regardless, I would take a RB first, no matter what.

Good luck ;-D
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

Going into any draft I really don't have 1 main strategy. I pick a RB in the 1st round. #1 RB's are the toughest thing to find. From there I just go BPA (Best Player Available). You might get to a point in the 2nd round where it's better value to take Wayne or Moss or another top WR. I'll rarely take a QB earlier than the 5th & 6th rounds. QB's are much easier to get off the WW than RB's & WR's so I'll go RB & WR for at least the 1st 5 rounds. I'll fill in my starters at RB & WR and start picking backups early for depth at those 2 key positions. Lastly, no matter what, I wait until the last 2 rounds to draft a D & K...if I'm forced to. If the rules say I don't have to draft a D or K, sometimes I won't and just take fliers and 1-2 players late. Then decide before week 1 who to drop for your D & K for week 1. D's & K's are just so inconsistent from year to year and week to week. You can always get a decent D or K off the WW. They just aren't that important to me. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Bobby P » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:54 pm

I have to echo what venom said. This is the same strategy I use. RB, RB, WR with the first 3 picks. Furthermore, WR in the fourth. and with the 5th pick a RB. Maybe look to handcuff with the 5th but most likely I would just take the best RB left at that point. That is my strategy going in but It could change depending on how the draft is shaping up. That's what I look to do. Then again, I went 5-9 last year. Good Luck.
Bobby P
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mariners100 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Once again depending on the size of your league.. I usually draft RB, RB, WR. The only way I deviate from this is if there is a stud QB in round 3 then I go there. It really depends on who has been drafted and your scoring system. Get a gameplan and stick with it and do your homework on the league size and especially the scoring system. Knowing its Points Per Reception (PPR) can make or break your draft.

Welcome to the Cafe ;-D
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Venom wrote:99% of the time I go RB, RB, WR with my first three.

And like Rob said, it all depends on roster space and scoring. If your roster is QB, RB, WR,WR, Flex, TE, K, D/ST with one point per reception, I would more than likely get my RB first and go right to WR since they will have more points available with the PPR. I'd probably use my flex for a WR too, if the scoring system favored them.

Good luck ;-D

bingo. ;-D

even in a ppr league with the scarcity of starting running backs I may go rb/rb and just try to get a guy I know who's gonna catch a lot of passes (Sjax, LT, westy, you get the idea). ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:52 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:

Good luck ;-D

bingo. ;-D

even in a ppr league with the scarcity of starting running backs I may go rb/rb and just try to get a guy I know who's gonna catch a lot of passes (Sjax, LT, westy, you get the idea). ;-D

Exactly what I do too, except I can NEVER get the top 3-4 pick necessary to execute the strategy !+)

There's always next year ;-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 am

WaCougMBS wrote:

Good luck ;-D

bingo. ;-D

Exactly what I do too, except I can NEVER get the top 3-4 pick necessary to execute the strategy !+)

there's always a guy like Frank Gore, should catch a ton of passes this year. :-?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:Exactly what I do too, except I can NEVER get the top 3-4 pick necessary to execute the strategy !+)

there's always a guy like Frank Gore, should catch a ton of passes this year. :-?

I know - I actually think I might be able to afford him with my typical 7-10th pick this year ;-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum