Good Fantasy Mag? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Good Fantasy Mag?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Good Fantasy Mag?

Postby Scooter84 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:44 am

I was wondering if you guys/gals know where I can find a good fantasy football magazine that helps beginers and gives u stats on all the players. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks -Chris
Scooter84
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Good Fantasy Mag?

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:32 am

Scooter84 wrote:I was wondering if you guys/gals know where I can find a good fantasy football magazine that helps beginers and gives u stats on all the players. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks -Chris

Welcome to the Cafe ;-D

You actually found the best resource right here. Make sure to look through this thread, this will have links to a number of great resources. Most of the better information you will find on the internet rather than a magazine. Most magazines are printed so far in advance that once they hit the newsstand they are obsolete. Internet sites are updated daily and as news happens. Check out some of the other forums here and ask questions, there are a lot of great people here that know a lot and as news happens it will be posted somewhere on this site. As for stats on players, I prefer fftoday.com.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 am

As dream stated, ya won't find much better info than you can get right here at the Cafe for free. Here's a thread from last year that that has a lot of good tips for beginners:
viewtopic.php?t=329323

If you're mainly looking for stats, most magazines will have that, but you can also find that online too. As far as tips on how to play, most magazines only have a couple pages on that whereas you can ask unlimited questions here. Some of us here like mags 'cause ya need something to read in the john. lol, but like dream says, they're outta date by the time come out so ya have to keep track of players on the internet for changes in status, injuries, etc. The best mags are the ones that also come with an internet site where you can get these updates but most charge extra for this. And usually when the mags start coming out, some of the members here will offer opinions on them in the Leftovers forum. But the best advice is to do like dream says, do lots of reading here at the Cafe and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby bmor8811 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Check us out :-D

Just print us out for the Mag version ;-D
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby Venom » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:30 am

Like the rest have mentioned, the Cafe is the best for up to the minute info.

But...if you need something in print for the throne room or on the go, I bet TSN has a football version of the Fantasy Baseball Guide. Most people I know call it the "fantasy bible" and it comes out once every January. You almost have to assume they have a Football version of the same mag.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby eagles21 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:15 pm

FootballGuys is my favorite. Very good rankings, sleepers, busts, and it also helps explain things like VBD to help with your draft. Also has stats and such. ;-D

But like the others have said, this site keeps you updated with daily rankings and news, so you should probably looking through threads at the Cafe also. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:14 pm

Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

I agree with what everyone else said. ;-D

The fantasy mags haven't really hit the newstands yet. I think I saw one the other day but the info was already outdated. Surf the web like it's been mentioned, and soon the newstands will be filled with a lot of different fantasy mags. Go through each one and pick 1 or more that you like. I usually get 1 per year (Fantasy Football Proforecast), but do almost all my research online. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby treat24 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:33 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

I agree with what everyone else said. ;-D

The fantasy mags haven't really hit the newstands yet. I think I saw one the other day but the info was already outdated. Surf the web like it's been mentioned, and soon the newstands will be filled with a lot of different fantasy mags. Go through each one and pick 1 or more that you like. I usually get 1 per year (Fantasy Football Proforecast), but do almost all my research online. Good luck! ;-D

yeah I bought one the other day. They are fun reads and jumping off points... but that's about it. Most mags will have all the stats. This one, like flot said, already outdated. It's nice to get a rough idea, then hang out at the cafe and get the best in up to the minute discussion on players and situations ;-D :-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby TruNinerFan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:29 pm

bmor8811 wrote:Check us out :-D

Just print us out for the Mag version ;-D

I agree. Don't waste your money on a mag, hang around this site and you will have all the info you need.l

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:13 pm

I like magazines as more of a reminder of what the players did last year. Its good information to create a base for your knowledge. How the teams drafted and who changed teams. I don't put much faith in their rankings other than see where they have guys ranked. What I find is you are reminded of players who performed above expectations last year that help you develop your sleepers on draft day.

Then I keep updated here at the cafe and FF today to formulate my final opinion and draft sheet.

I do think you can easily get by with the internet because I know of guys that don't do an ounce of studying and have a solid team every year because they can print a cheat sheet on draft day. There is also a plethora of information available if you are willing to spend the time.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum