Dynasty Draft Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Dynasty Draft Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dynasty Draft Strategy

Postby Snave » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:20 am

I've never played in a Dynasty league before. This year I have joined one with 16 owners, and we keep our entire roster. What can I expect with regard to the draft? Will it be different than a redraft league? Will everyone pick a QB the first round? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm not real sure where to begin. :-o
Snave
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dynasty Draft Strategy

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Snave wrote:I've never played in a Dynasty league before. This year I have joined one with 16 owners, and we keep our entire roster. What can I expect with regard to the draft? Will it be different than a redraft league? Will everyone pick a QB the first round? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm not real sure where to begin. :-o

I find that it is not a whole lot different. The key as always is to stock up on RBs. If you are close with another player take the younger guy. Rookies will go earlier than a re-draft. QBs might go a little earlier, I would not take one in the 1st round. Check out some of the drafts in the draft rooms. There are some from previous years in there, not sure if there are any inagural dynasty draft on-going, but I'm sure there is.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Venom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:10 am

In a dynasty your intital draft is going to help (or haunt) you for at least 3 or 4 years.

You definately want to acquire youth, but remember you want to be productive this year as well. Westbrook, TO, etc shouldn't be overlooked just because they are veteran players. Don't overlook talent because they aren't 24 years old.

Like dream said above....if you are the fence about a certain couple of players at your pick, go with the younger player. Chances are he'll have more time left in the NFL, and thus give you more production as a keeper.

Remember...in most dynasties the only players you will be able to acquire year to year are new rookies, so make sure you do your research now so you aren't dealing with major issues in only a year or two.

And you can always get help choosing in your draft right here ;-D
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Everybody has a different strategy so go with your gut...Age is more a factor then a typical redraft, so while guys like TO are still valuable, you will also see owners take guys like Brandon Marshall or Calvin Johnson before him...Granted the production probably won't match TO this year but some consider it to be close enough, it warrants the selection due to how long you would have that #1 WR on your dynasty team...RB's have a shorter career span so you don't want to start off taking somebody like Edge too soon unless its a value pick, alot of my picks in a dynasty league are upside/potential picks...Guys who are going to get better, I don't like to take too many guys who have a few years left, reason being is because after the initial draft there are only rookie drafts...It's alot tougher to find studs in those rookie drafts because their a crap shoot, thats why I go after as many young talented guys who will make an impact this year as I can.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby John Galt » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:13 pm

I've found that guys tend to draft the young guys way too early, I mean nobody ever had their team go down the crapper due to retirement of players so I would take advantage of this and draft the best available player which should give you an edge.
John Galt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby carlsomo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:49 pm

I've been in a dynasty fantasy football league for 15 years. Load up on young and rookie running backs at startup and later you almost always take a rookie RB in round 1 of future years drafts if you're smart. Wide receivers mature later and gems can be picked up on the waiver wire. The teams with the stud RB's will dominate year to year and to get them you typically have to draft or trade (usually too much) to get them. I draft late in round 1 this year so the Mcfaddens, Stewarts, etc will be gone. I will target Ray Rice since I have McGahee on my roster. Use your bottom receiver slots to pick up hot unassigned players as the year goes on. Don't draft a rookie WR early unless its Randy Moss 8 years ago. Good future QB's like Romo and Derek Anderson were picked up on waivers in my league. Good veteran QB's tend to have longer careers and can be picked up and replaced much more easily than RB's. Don't give up on a good young RB if they have fumblitis or can't block early on. Once they get past that they are future studs. Pay more attention to NFL draft order on rookie RB's rather than 'immediate impact' ratings on rookies in the football magazines and websites that focus on redraft value rather than dynasty value. Forte or K smith may have a better year than McFdden THIS year but McFadden has way more talent and value down the road. With 16 teams in your league you will do yourself a big favor by knowing a lot about rookie RB's like Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles, Slaton, Hightower, Hart, etc who may not show up on the magazine radar but may be studs down the road. Draft RB's of the future and take relatively younger but productive WR's and QB's for the here and now. JMHO.
carlsomo
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Beginner's Forum