Rudi Johnson... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rudi Johnson...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Rudi Johnson...

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Where is Rudi being drafted these days. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth after last season taking he and FWP toward the end of my KOTJ draft. But I love the idea of Rudi being able to come close to his old numbers at where he would be drafted.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby busby » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 pm

moochman wrote:Where is Rudi being drafted these days. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth after last season taking he and FWP toward the end of my KOTJ draft. But I love the idea of Rudi being able to come close to his old numbers at where he would be drafted.

5th round.
Cafe leagues
Any Given Dynasty (4th year) 2-2
Kind of a Big Deal (3rd year) 2-2
4th and Goal Dynasty (2nd year) 2-2
busby
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 am

If I draft Rudi, I will probably be looking to trade him if he gets off to a fast start. He's not the type of guy that will win you any championships. On his best day, he is a steady RB that will grind out yards and a few TDs for you.

As for Kenny Irons, I doubt he ever does much in the NFL. He may have the talent, but he's not durable at all. He fought injuries at Auburn, and he's already fighting them with the Bengals. He was a Juco transfer to Auburn, and I'm sure the school he came from handed him the ball every down, and Auburn pretty much did that too.

I have seen a writer or two say that Kenny Watson will end up being the Bengals RB to have in fantasy leagues - not necessarily to be drafted in all leagues, but they thought he would be more productive. I'm not sure that I want any Bengals RBs on my teams, but we'll see. Just throwing it out there...
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby biju » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:55 am

onnestabe wrote:If I draft Rudi, I will probably be looking to trade him if he gets off to a fast start. He's not the type of guy that will win you any championships. On his best day, he is a steady RB that will grind out yards and a few TDs for you.

As for Kenny Irons, I doubt he ever does much in the NFL. He may have the talent, but he's not durable at all. He fought injuries at Auburn, and he's already fighting them with the Bengals. He was a Juco transfer to Auburn, and I'm sure the school he came from handed him the ball every down, and Auburn pretty much did that too.

I have seen a writer or two say that Kenny Watson will end up being the Bengals RB to have in fantasy leagues - not necessarily to be drafted in all leagues, but they thought he would be more productive. I'm not sure that I want any Bengals RBs on my teams, but we'll see. Just throwing it out there...

I love the idea of that, but I think the reality is a little different. First off, he certainly can win you a championship--if he stays healthy--in a flex league. Maybe that's a gamble you're trying to avoid with trading him, which brings me to problem number two: actually trading him for value. A low end RB2/high end RB3 is worth a low to mid WR2(*), but do you see anyone trading Santonio Holmes for Rudi Johnson? Only if he were in the top 10 do I think you would get value like that. Otherwise I see a team offering up a mid to low WR3, which really only works if your current WR3 isn't living up to expectations.

I just think that you'll need more than a fast start to get true value from him, at which point it might make more sense to hang on to him.

;-D

* - This makes me wonder if there are basic "trade guidelines" other people follow. Standard 2 RB, 3 WR leagues probably wouldn't have the same value for an RB3 where he'll be an injury replacement/bye week fill in.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 am

onnestabe wrote:I have seen a writer or two say that Kenny Watson will end up being the Bengals RB to have in fantasy leagues - not necessarily to be drafted in all leagues, but they thought he would be more productive. I'm not sure that I want any Bengals RBs on my teams, but we'll see. Just throwing it out there...

I actually just read yesterday from a Cincinnati beat writer that Watson was going to be 'limited offensively' this year and looks to be more of a special teams player with them finally having Rudi and Perry healthy again, to quote per rotoworld:

Kenny Watson is slated for a "more limited role offensively" this season, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The article talked about them getting back to 2005 when Perry was the 3rd down back and caught over 50 balls and Rudi was grinding the ball all game...That could easily change with an injury to one or the other, but if both guys are healthy, I think thats their 'ideal scenario' for how they would like the backfield to play out...It sounds as if Irons won't even play this year at all.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Wenchtamer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 pm

LS2throwed wrote:It sounds as if Irons won't even play this year at all.

As an Irons owner, that's fine with me. I'd prefer that the Bengals don't rush him back if he isn't 100%.

As for the Bengals backfield this year, I think Rudi looks good as a #2 RB going into the year as long as you handcuff him. We all know his potential. The problem is, who to cuff him with? The obvious choice is Watson, but if Perry really is healthy and Rudi were to go down, it seems that Perry would be the back that you would want.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Perry would never, never be able to handle the load of an every down-back. Watson would have to be more of a Rudi and less of a Perry if Rudi goes down.

Watson is the handcuff to have. As he can step in for Rudi or Perry if one gets injured, and there's a nice chance one will.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:37 pm

Rudi builds up leg power
Injured running back worked on lower body
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • July 31, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - For several years as an NFL player, Rudi Johnson resisted doing major weight work on his lower body. He bought into the adage that running backs save their legs.

A hamstring injury in 2007 helped to change Johnson's mind and the minds of his coaches.

Get bigger, Rudi, was the message. Work your legs. Increase the circumference of your thighs.

Johnson - limited to 11 games and 497 rushing yards last season, his fewest since 2002 - always had worked out and showed up in good shape. But he had changed his body type and running style that made him one of the NFL's most productive backs from 2004-06, when he rushed for more than 4,200 yards and 36 touchdowns.

He reported to camp last season and played at 212 pounds, he said. He started to run "east-west" more often is the explanation of Jim Anderson, Johnson's position coach, in reference to a jitterbug tailback whose forté is running outside.

"He understands again that you want to get north-south with the football," Anderson said Wednesday at training camp, of more physical backs who run most often between the tackles.

Johnson's forgettable 2007 came to an end in Week 15, two games early, because of the recurring hamstring injury. He was inactive the final two games. But as soon as he was medically cleared in the offseason, he went to work on his legs with weights for the first time since his college days at Auburn.

con't...

rest of article: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 10371/1066
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to Football Talk