My Crazy Day: US Open Related - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My Crazy Day: US Open Related

Moderator: Football Moderators

My Crazy Day: US Open Related

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:38 am

My Dad got me into golf before I was a teenager. I played on my high school team & ever since I can remember, which is a long time since I'll be 40 in July 8-o , I've watched all the "major" golf tournaments each year. I grew up on Long Island in NY and got to play Bethpage Black in the early 90's. Halfway through the round I told the guys that I was playing with that this could be a "US Open" course. The US Open is always held on super tough courses where the rough is high & the greens are crazy fast. For those that never heard of Bethpage Black, it's the only true public course to ever host the US Open (my prediction came true in 2002!). Pebble Beach has hosted the US Open, and is public, but you have to pay $300+ to play at Pebble Beach where it still costs around $35 to play at Bethpage Black. It was awesome to see the pros play on a course I had played before. So I obviously love golf.

I moved to Florida, or Hell as I like to call it :,-( , in 98 & my 1st job was at a golf resort in the West Palm Beach area. Just around the same time I started working there, a young guy from Michigan who had just moved to Florida to turn pro started working there. I'm not mentioning the name of the resort on purpose because they treated their employees poorly and don't deserve the plug. We both worked there about 9 months or so and then he helped me get a job at a different course. I stopped working there and then moved to where I am now in central Florida. We never kept in touch, but every year during the US Open, I would check the field to see if he qualified or not. Anyone can try to qualify for the US Open (Tony Romo). The 2 years I knew him (98 & 99) he made it all the way to the last qualifier before missing it by 2-3 strokes. Sure enough in 2004 he qualified for the US Open played at Shinnecock Hills (also on LI). He missed the cut by like 2 strokes but played well.

So last night (Wednesday night) after work I'm watching the Golf Channel's coverage of all the "pre-game" talk and they were scrolling the tee times on the bottom of the screen. I decide to see if my old buddy qualified this year and sure enough he did! I was happy for him that he's still following his dream of being on the PGA Tour. No doubt the best golfer I ever played with. He was playing the Golden Bear Tour in Florida when I knew him and now he's on the Nationwide Tour. So I wake up today a little after ESPN's coverage began. I turn on the US Open and I start fiddling around, not watching the TV and I hear: "Unheralded Justin Hicks is at -4 leading the US Open". I almost fell on the floor. I know someone and have played golf with someone who is......

LEADING THE US OPEN

8-o

Unbelievable day. While 99.9999% of the world is saying "Justin who?", I actually know the guy. Fairways & greens Justin. Stay focused. Make pars. Minimize the damage. Keep it up for 3 more days! ;-D ;-D :-) :-)

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: My Crazy Day: US Open Related

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:41 am

Looks like somebody will be renewing an old friendship if he wins. :-D :-b :-b

That's really an awesome story man. I have somebody to root for now. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:30 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:Looks like somebody will be renewing an old friendship if he wins. :-D :-b :-b

That's really an awesome story man. I have somebody to root for now. :-b

Hey Justin, remember me? Can I have a loan? :-b :-B

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:19 am

You're going to be 40!?!?!!!??? 8-o

OK, kidding about that. I always thought you were younger than me.

Seriously now - cool story. Anyone who has played a round of golf knows how easily it can turn from decent round to disaster, so major kudos to him for keeping it going for the whole round. I certianly hope he keeps his focus and makes the cut. That would be one heck of a dream come true! ;-D ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:42 am

Thats pretty sweet man. Hope he does well ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 am

Wow, that is pretty crazy man. I guess I know who to root for now. ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby SniperShot » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:11 am

WHOA. Incredible story. That's so awesome.

Oh and he made anything but pars on the back nine yesterday. All Bogeys or Birdies. :-b
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Guru13 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 am

that's awesome man, I really enjoy playing golf myself can't hardly bring myself to watch it on TV but it's a blast to play. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 pm

That's fine and dandy, but does he play fantasy football O:-)

Very cool story, I worked with the wife of a Lions reserve LB and it was pretty cool seeing him in the games and actually knowing him. So this must be great for you ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Guru13 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:20 pm

watched just a little bit of the open today just cause of this guy and heard the analyst/announcer say he once won a 25,000 check from one of the tours he played on and it bounced. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk