Jerious Norwood? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jerious Norwood?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Jerious Norwood?

Postby PMoneyTKE » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:30 pm

I think he's just too small to handle a full-time workload. I think if he were given the starting job it would turn out a lot like Reggie's debut as a starter.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:01 am

PMoneyTKE wrote:I think he's just too small to handle a full-time workload. I think if he were given the starting job it would turn out a lot like Reggie's debut as a starter.

He carried the rock 30 times a game in college no problem. Norwood isn't small, it is just that he has chicken legs and isn't a good between the tackles guy. Doesn't have much value this year unless Turner gets dinged up.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:13 pm

He's going to have a reserve role and still get his carries, but he is still a backup, I wouldn't start him unless it was a bye week or I was stuck by injuries...Personally I like the backup RB's who are goal line backs, like Barber a few years ago, or Jacobs this year, if I'm going to get a back with limited carries I at least want them to be around the goalline.

Him at Turner will be a great 1-2 punch, but Norwood will be too hot and cold to consistently start, one week he will go off for 130 and two tds and you will think he is good to start and the next he gets 35.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattUTD20 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:43 am

I don't think he'll be a feature back because I don't think he wants to learn the intricacies of a full NFL offense. He has a great skillset and can be a 20-25 carry guy if he wanted to but I don't think he's hungry for it.

"Every time I go out on the field, I try to make things happen,” he said. “I’m a playmaker.”
Also this: “I don’t think about missing a protection or a read — I go out there to have fun.”

http://www.officialjeriousnorwood.com/_pdf/jn_ajc.pdf
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Norwood may finally get increased role
By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/06/08

Flowery Branch — Falcons running back Jerious Norwood spends a lot of his down time wearing camouflage, trying to blend into Mother Nature's tapestry while hunting.

For two NFL seasons, his Falcons uniform unwittingly — and to Norwood, curiously — served the same purpose.

Though the biggest game-changer on the roster, Norwood has been used as little more than an accent piece. He has stood out on occasion with 60-plus yard touchdown runs. They lead to the same unanswered question: Why isn't he playing more?

Now, under a new coaching staff that is committed to the run, Norwood will have a bigger role.

Heard that before?

"Hopefully everything goes as planned," Norwood said. "I'm going to continue to work and do the best I can. Like they say, they plan on getting me on the field and I hope for the same."

While Norwood looks forward to more touches, so does Michael Turner, the $35 million free agent acquisition, who spent four years as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup in San Diego. Turner, the starter, expects to get 300 carries or more this season, which seemingly would leave little for Norwood.

Yet Falcons coaches said Norwood's versatility would allow him to be deployed in a variety of ways, from wide receiver, to tailback, to being used in the same backfield with Turner. Norwood's willingness to play all roles makes him even more valuable, coaches said.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/spor ... rwood.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Norwood may finally get increased role
By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/06/08

Flowery Branch — Falcons running back Jerious Norwood spends a lot of his down time wearing camouflage, trying to blend into Mother Nature's tapestry while hunting.

For two NFL seasons, his Falcons uniform unwittingly — and to Norwood, curiously — served the same purpose.

Though the biggest game-changer on the roster, Norwood has been used as little more than an accent piece. He has stood out on occasion with 60-plus yard touchdown runs. They lead to the same unanswered question: Why isn't he playing more?

Now, under a new coaching staff that is committed to the run, Norwood will have a bigger role.

Heard that before?

"Hopefully everything goes as planned," Norwood said. "I'm going to continue to work and do the best I can. Like they say, they plan on getting me on the field and I hope for the same."

While Norwood looks forward to more touches, so does Michael Turner, the $35 million free agent acquisition, who spent four years as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup in San Diego. Turner, the starter, expects to get 300 carries or more this season, which seemingly would leave little for Norwood.

Yet Falcons coaches said Norwood's versatility would allow him to be deployed in a variety of ways, from wide receiver, to tailback, to being used in the same backfield with Turner. Norwood's willingness to play all roles makes him even more valuable, coaches said.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/spor ... rwood.html

That article kind of scares me. Norwood's quote at the end is a little scary ("we need 2 backs to get the job done. I'm glad Mike is here"). Also, there's a guy in there talking about how Norwood got worn out in camp last year from having to take a lot of the reps.... not sure if I would want my feature back to be a guy who has trouble making it through a training camp as the feature back, let alone a full season....

That being said, he could be good flex option if he gets 15 or so touches a game. I just don't think Norwood ever ends up being a 20-25+ touches a game type of guy....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wrangor » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:30 am

If norwood can get a combined 15 touches/looks a game, he will go for well over 1000 combined yards, and score atleast 5-6 TDs. That would be great value. I hope that the Falcons give him a series or two in the first half, but more importantly give him some touches in the 2nd half when the defense is a little tired. I think we could easily see a combination similar to MDJ/Taylor in Jacksonville, except this one would be more heavily weighted towards Turner. 2-4 series a game combined with spitting him out wide a few times would result in a very good season fro Norwood, especially in a PPR. Would easily be an RB3 with that kind of looks.
Wrangor
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:54 am

I've never liked Jerious Norwood. I've always thought he hasn't shown the mettle to be a top back. With Turner playing no way Norwood plays anyways, they're paying Turner too much. He'd have to suck big time to get demoted. Plus I still like Jason Snelling over Norwood. Been playing decently of late too.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SirPimpin08 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:29 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I'm sure the Falcons have their reasons, but I cannot figure out how a running back who averages over six yards a tote, with tremendous home run ability, has been riding the pine .

Kind of like Jerome Harrison
SirPimpin08
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:30 am

If he couldn't replace an aging and mostly ineffective Warrick Dunn, how is he going to replace Turner? Isn't the fact that they went out and gave Turner as much money as they did tell you what the Atlanta coaching staff thinks as Norwood as an every-down NFL running back?

Norwood gets hype every year and fails to deliver on it because he doesn't get the playing time. This year will be no different.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk