Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Postby treat24 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:36 pm

The Lung wrote:Sucks...I guess Polar Bear's experiment isn't really legit anymore now. :~(

I think it holds up more than ever now. If he has a good year with a different QB, he will have proven that taking a QB in the first is stupid. Because he would have had a good year without a first round pick and with a middle range QB.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:44 pm

treat24 wrote:
The Lung wrote:Sucks...I guess Polar Bear's experiment isn't really legit anymore now. :~(

I think it holds up more than ever now. If he has a good year with a different QB, he will have proven that taking a QB in the first is stupid. Because he would have had a good year without a first round pick and with a middle range QB.

We all actually discussed this in the yahoo league thread. One point I brought up was that one of the arguments laid out has been if you do take a QB early and they stink, or get hurt, you are screwed because you lack depth other places, especially RB where you can make up for injuries. It will obviously be flawed, but nothing we can do now.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby footballsimp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:34 pm

now he lost colston...so that kinds blows too
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby biju » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:16 am

28 Days Later...

Polar Bear is 2-2, along with 6 other teams (this league appears to have great parity). Yes, it is only 4 games played and a small sample size, but:

- He lost his 1st rounder (Brady) 8 minutes into the season
- Lost his 3rd rounder (Marques Colston) after the first game for the next 6 weeks
- His 5th rounder (Darren McFadden) has been battling turf toe and putting in sub-par games

Impressive record, especially when you take into account he could have just as easily taken any other player in the 1st round and it would have helped his team (and also hurt the other team that took Brady). His team's weakness is RB since his first RB taken was in the 5th round (McFadden), but he's still holding up ok. I suspect PB will have a tough time staying around .500 for the season which is still better than I would have expected under the circumstances.

It's worth noting that the undefeated team was the second to last team to take a QB, the 12th overall QB taken, and the QB now starting for this team was grabbed off the waiver wire.

Busted theory? :-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:03 am

I think a big thing worth noting here is that Kurt Warner, who he grabbed before the seasons started, has put up better fantasy numbers than I would have expected Brady to at this point. He's averaging over 300 yards and 2 TDs per game.

Even if Brady weren't hurt, he would either be on his bench or have Warner on his bench. His starting lineup would be receiving no more points.

Now, if you take that 2-2 team and add Adrian Peterson to it (the guy he passed up on for Brady if I recall, though it might have been Westbrook), you end up with a pretty sick team.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby eaglesfan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:14 am

First year I took a QB first round...sadly it was Tom Brady. Granted a injury ended his season, the whole thing soured my whole season.

I will never draft a QB early again....same goes for TE. As stated there is value at these positions in later rounds. I'd rather wait. In one league I took Cutler in like the 9th or 10th....I'm 4-0.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 am

I'm not doing too bad for taking Romo early in the 2nd, but I agree had PB taken Peterson or someone with the team he already had it would of been a pretty stacked team.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:54 am

Just looked at the rosters. I can only surmise that biju has gone out and waiver wired a legit QB and is now owning the crap out of everyone?

LT, Turner, Fitz, Jennings, Calvin - Coles and Chris Johnson on the bench? That's a heckuva team in an 8 or 10 man league.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby biju » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:48 pm

Azrael wrote:Just looked at the rosters. I can only surmise that biju has gone out and waiver wired a legit QB and is now owning the crap out of everyone?

LT, Turner, Fitz, Jennings, Calvin - Coles and Chris Johnson on the bench? That's a heckuva team in an 8 or 10 man league.

I picked up Trent Edwards. To be fair, I still feel rather weak at RB but I suppose I could shop Coles if I'm comfortable with Deion Branch being solid for BYE weeks.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mattUTD20 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:48 pm

edit- nevermind
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk