Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Postby ElwayIsGod » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:14 pm

eaglesfan wrote:First year I took a QB first round...sadly it was Tom Brady. Granted a injury ended his season, the whole thing soured my whole season.

I will never draft a QB early again....same goes for TE. As stated there is value at these positions in later rounds. I'd rather wait. In one league I took Cutler in like the 9th or 10th....I'm 4-0.


Yea, im 4-0 too. Yeah i took Cutler too in the 11th. Best pick of the draft.
ElwayIsGod
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 11
Joined: 3 Dec 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Postby biju » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:15 pm

The postseason has begun and as one might have suspected when Brady went down, it was tough for PB to make the playoffs. To his credit however, he managed to stay in the hunt until the very last week of the regular season. If he wins his week 13 matchup he makes the playoffs.

Any final thoughts on the discussion here? Or are we simply saying it's too difficult to determine whether the strategy has merit because of what happened to Brady?

:-o
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Postby dream_017 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:29 pm

biju wrote:The postseason has begun and as one might have suspected when Brady went down, it was tough for PB to make the playoffs. To his credit however, he managed to stay in the hunt until the very last week of the regular season. If he wins his week 13 matchup he makes the playoffs.

Any final thoughts on the discussion here? Or are we simply saying it's too difficult to determine whether the strategy has merit because of what happened to Brady?

:-o

You mean this discussion?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15318
(Past Year: 72)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Postby Matthias » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 pm

biju wrote:Any final thoughts on the discussion here? Or are we simply saying it's too difficult to determine whether the strategy has merit because of what happened to Brady?

Steven Jackson and Larry Johnson busting out doesn't mean you should always avoid a RB in the first round. Tom Brady having a season-ending injury in Week 1 doesn't mean you should always avoid a QB in the first round. To do that is to do the following:

Someone comes up to you and says, "Heads or tails? If you're right I'll give you $100."
You: "Tails."
He flips. Heads.
You: "Whew, I'm never calling tails again, that's for sure!"

It's all probability scenarios; one observation point does not create a thesis.

Edit: Actually, one of my favorite quotes, one of Mark Twain's, applies in this situation;
We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit on a hot stove lid again - and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Postby biju » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:25 pm

dream_017 wrote:
biju wrote:The postseason has begun and as one might have suspected when Brady went down, it was tough for PB to make the playoffs. To his credit however, he managed to stay in the hunt until the very last week of the regular season. If he wins his week 13 matchup he makes the playoffs.

Any final thoughts on the discussion here? Or are we simply saying it's too difficult to determine whether the strategy has merit because of what happened to Brady?

:-o

You mean this discussion?


Oops. I didn't see that thread. Must have been because of the title and I was expected this thread to be bumped with all of the good quotables. :-D
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Taking a QB in the 1st Rd. Draft Strategy League Challenge

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:30 pm

eaglesfan wrote:First year I took a QB first round...sadly it was Tom Brady. Granted a injury ended his season, the whole thing soured my whole season.

I will never draft a QB early again....same goes for TE. As stated there is value at these positions in later rounds. I'd rather wait. In one league I took Cutler in like the 9th or 10th....I'm 4-0.


I'm not sure that your logic makes sense. Of course picking Brady was very costly, but had he stayed healthy, who knows? Your team may have been very good. IMO, most years Brady is a safer pick than some of the other people that go mid first round. He's not any more likely to get injured than a RB (in fact he's probably less likely to do so) and 1st round RB lose playing time unexpectedly far more often than 1st round QBs. Short of an injury, Brady was the starter for the whole year. Guys like Addai, on the other hand, could lose carries to backups like Rhodes, even if they do remain the starter. So unless you're arguing that you should have had the foresight to know that Brady would get injured, why exactly was it a bad pick?
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:14 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact