Local Delicacies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Local Delicacies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Local Delicacies

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:07 am

Got any weird food in your area of the country/world? Dan brought up Poutine in another thread and it got me thinking about what kind of weird/odd/unusual foods we might have in our neck of the woods.

One of Nebraska's odd foods is jaternice (pronounced IT-ther-nit-see). I used to make this about 20 years ago when I worked in a local smokehouse. It’s basically the odd ends, bits and pieces of the head of a pig (jowls, snout, tongue), some heart and some liver, and some pig fat, all ground up and put in a casing. My grandmother used to make this for me when I visited for breakfast, and I loved it as a kid. It’s fatty and gross and smells horrible when you’re making it, but when it’s cooked and fresh, it’s really not bad. It’s a Czech food, and there are a TON of Czechs around here, so it’s reasonably popular. I can go to a couple of different meat markets here in town and buy fresh jaternice, but somehow I never have.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Local Delicacies

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:59 am

please note, i'm not Canadien, but Windsor is only 30 minutes away, so that's where i got the poutine from

cant think of anything specific to Detroit, unless you count Coney Dogs

also, it's not regional but i enjoy getting tempura shrimp heads from sushi places...kinda tastes like Soft Shell Crab
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:06 am

toasted ravioli originated in St. Louis...but that's all I know. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:09 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:please note, i'm not Canadien, but Windsor is only 30 minutes away, so that's where i got the poutine from

also, it's not regional but i enjoy getting tempura shrimp heads from sushi places...kinda tastes like Soft Shell Crab

Whats a Canadien? :-? :-b

Just messing with you. ;-D

Eating the heads of stuff creeps me out.....no thanks. :-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:please note, i'm not Canadien, but Windsor is only 30 minutes away, so that's where i got the poutine from

Whats a Canadien? :-? :-b

Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:59 pm

I thought that was a Canadienne. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:59 pm

From our neighbouring province, British Columbia, comes the best dessert in the whole wide world - Nanaimo bars!!!

:-L :-L :-L

history & official recipe: http://www.nanaimo.ca/visitors/index_inside.asp?id=189
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Ummmm..... really don't know of any locally unique foods. Well, calf fries are sort of regional I guess. I had some just the other day as a matter of fact. :-L

Look on the bright side Met, at least its not the head of something. :-B
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:10 pm

we'll like a week before St Patty's day we have something called Green Beer Day (live in a college town and students are out of town on St Pattys)...so we have Green Beer (Day).

Um..Cincy is kinda famous for Chili I guess....I live like...kinda close to Cincy

we do have a local place in town called Bagel and Deli which is like...100 different combinations of meat, cheese, veggies, fruits, etc on a different kinds of Bagels...haven't really seen that else where.

Bagel and Deli helps celebrate GBD.
The college Bagel and Deli provides toasty green bagels and cream cheese, helpings of green mayo, and a variety of other St. Patty's themed foodstuffs.

-associatedcontent.com
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:14 pm

aaawall91 wrote:we'll like a week before St Patty's day we have something called Green Beer Day (live in a college town and students are out of town on St Pattys)...so we have Green Beer (Day).

Um..Cincy is kinda famous for Chili I guess....I live like...kinda close to Cincy]

Green beer is pretty common... good call on the Cinci chili! I love me some Skyline!! :-D I grew up in Cincinnati, surprised you didn't mention goetta as well, altho I hardly consider it a delicacy though.

The Indiana State Fair has culinary delights such that no mortal can eat and live. I'm talking about the deep fried twinkies and deep fried Snicker's bars... :-P
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to General Talk