Local Delicacies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Local Delicacies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Local Delicacies

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:03 pm

L.A. oddly doesn't have its odd share of food, but I'm sure if you dig harder, you'll find some and you don't have to find it at an expensive, exotic restaurant where you're going for the name and the people. The only thing I can think of is Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. :-L

On second thought, there's a bar in Hollywood that serves what's called a "Heart Attack". It's french fries with alfredo sauce and bacon bits on. Tasty, but personally I get bored after eating anything with alfredo sauce on it.

Dan Lambskin wrote:also, it's not regional but i enjoy getting tempura shrimp heads from sushi places...kinda tastes like Soft Shell Crab

Aye, the shrimp head is usually very tasty, not just in tempura, but in any way you cook head-on shrimp
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 pm

knapplc wrote:I thought that was a Canadienne. ;-)

http://canadiens.nhl.com/

:-D
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm

At the largest rodeo in the world the Houston livestock and rodeo there is 1 item that I have never seen anywhere else. That is

Deep Fried snickers bars. I am not shirting you all.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:54 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:At the largest rodeo in the world the Houston livestock and rodeo there is 1 item that I have never seen anywhere else. That is

Deep Fried snickers bars. I am not shirting you all.

It's actually already been mentioned in this thread. :-b :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:52 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:L.A. oddly doesn't have its odd share of food, but I'm sure if you dig harder, you'll find some and you don't have to find it at an expensive, exotic restaurant where you're going for the name and the people. The only thing I can think of is Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. :-L

On second thought, there's a bar in Hollywood that serves what's called a "Heart Attack". It's french fries with alfredo sauce and bacon bits on. Tasty, but personally I get bored after eating anything with alfredo sauce on it.

Dan Lambskin wrote:also, it's not regional but i enjoy getting tempura shrimp heads from sushi places...kinda tastes like Soft Shell Crab

Aye, the shrimp head is usually very tasty, not just in tempura, but in any way you cook head-on shrimp

Snoop and Beckham went there on an episode of "Snoop Dog's Father Hood" :-D
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:47 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:L.A. oddly doesn't have its odd share of food, but I'm sure if you dig harder, you'll find some and you don't have to find it at an expensive, exotic restaurant where you're going for the name and the people. The only thing I can think of is Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. :-L

Snoop and Beckham went there on an episode of "Snoop Dog's Father Hood" :-D

So I've heard. I'll assume it's the one in Hollywood. There are four other locations here and I've been to two, one on the West side and the other in Long Beach. They're not quite as good as the Hollywood Roscoe's. Whenever I was in the neighborhood, I'd park my car nearby at my old place of work because the Roscoe's there doesn't have parking (or at least I haven't seen any) given that Roscoe's is in a rather discreet location.

Most times I go there, I get the #2. It's a half-chicken that's covered in gravy and onions, with two waffles on the side. I usually have the gravy and onions on the side in a cup just to keep the chicken skin crisp, but in all honesty, having a bite of chicken and waffles in maple syrup and gravy is out of this world. :-L
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:32 am

Rocky Mountain oysters. :-b Interestingly enough, they have absolutely nothing to do with the Rocky Mountains and they're certainly not oysters. And, of note, I have never tried them. :-P Had a neighbor when I grew up on the farm who prepared them after we castrated our pigs. 8-o :-P
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:06 pm

I grew up in Alaska.

Muktuk (raw whale blubber) is a well-known delicacy.

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Popcynical » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:43 pm

This is definitely not a delicacy or anything weird... But In-n-Out burger, the fast food restaurant, was founded near where I live. And the head of the company lives in my city as well.

MMm... by far my favorite fast food place. If you ever have the chance get yourself some Animal Style fries from there... and a double double.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I grew up in Alaska.

Muktuk (raw whale blubber) is a well-known delicacy.

bizarre foods with andrew zimmern...awesome show and he ate some of that. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk