Darren McFadden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Darren McFadden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Darren McFadden

Postby jayne_cobb » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:47 pm

All right guys what do you think? For every rookie boom there is 2 or 3 busts. Yet those guys that are studs can really change a team. Both LT and AP had their haters coming out of college and they will likely go 1-2 this year. That said guys who drafted Bush first overall a few years back are kicking themselves now. I think its kinda the "sexy" thing to say stay away from him right now, but honest thoughts? Justin Fargas had 1000 yards there last year. LaMont Jordan is not that far removed from a 9 TD 1000+ yard season. Would Darren do worse? That said its a crowded backfield there. Bush looks to get the goaline TD. Some say he draws comparisons to Adrian Peterson, others say Napoleon Kaufman.

OK lots to chew on.

What do ya think?
jayne_cobb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Darren McFadden

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 pm

I look at the Raiders, and they run a zone blocking scheme, same as Denver, and that is tailor-made for McFadden and his talents...Heck it would probably fare Bush a little better as well...Its one cut and go, with his elite speed and athleticism he can easily rack up some big games without having to get 25 carries either...Fargas is still there so they will use both, but they didn't draft him in the top 5 to sit him on the bench.

I think he will have some huge games, 150 yds, 2 tds, but consistently it will be hard to expect solid games because he's not a goal line threat, and the Raiders will have to move the ball through the air to make life easier on him and thats a big question mark at this point...I like his value, and think he has the surroundings to make a huge impact, but I would temper my expectations in the short term, JR is going to have to progress and make some throws at some point, otherwise it will be tough for anyone to get going.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:58 am

I definetely want to see some of McFaddy in exhibition season before passing judgement. There are concerns over whether he is a physical enough RB to handle the kind of contact that he will see in the Pros. That and the competition, raw QB, and general disarray in Oakland make me less optimistic than most. A couple solid performances in exhibitions could change my mind or confirm my doubts.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby ssarmstro » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:58 am

Well in the begining of the year I expect Fargas to start. He is the vet and is probably the best Rb in picking up blitz's and blocking. I see him and Mc Fadden splitting carries about even. I also see Bush as the goalline short yardage and maybe on the field with either RB at the same time. He and Mc Fadden can both catch very well. But by mid yr when they are out of contention, I see them going almost completely Mc Fadden and Bush. Fargas only signed a 3 yr deal and I suspect he will be gone after this year for a cheaper 3rd string guy.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jayne_cobb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:31 am

So reasonable to expect 1000 yards 8TD's?
jayne_cobb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ssarmstro » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 am

I think may be 1000+ Total Yards and maybe 3-4td's. (good rookie year)
I also don't think the raiders will be scoring all that many points. so I would keep the number of Td's moderate.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 am

I think McFadden is going to have a real nice year. I was suprised how well they ran the ball last year. Between Jordan and Fargas they amassed close to 1,600 yards rushing and had backs go over 100 yards in 6 games and close in a couple others. They will rely on the run and their defense. I think that their defensive strength will allow them to run the ball longer than if their defense sucked and they got behind by double digits early and often. They will struggle passing the ball. Kwame Harris (addition) is a good run blocker but not pass blocker. They were 6th rushing the ball last year and the schedule is not that bad.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BigBadBrawler » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:00 pm

I think the comparison of McFadden to ADP or LT in other Threads is laughable. I don't think he has that level of ability, but I do think he's Reggie Bush with better between-the-tackles ability, and that's still an elite prospect. Fargas is an average back who's often banged-up, so I don't expect him to be a long-term threat at all, and a McFadden/M.Bush combo could be extremely effective for years to come. Especially when you consider that they're running behind an O-line that is very underrated when it comes to run-blocking (they suck at protecting the passer, but they do really well run-blocking). With the OAK WR corps questionable (Walker is a mess, Curry is banged up, and Carter is new), I think McFadden catches a ton of passes right out of the gate, and we'll probably see a lot of him lined up wide to get him out in open space (kinda like what NO does for Bush). I think I'd put his over/under at about 1100 total yards (700 rushing / 400 receiving) and about 6 Total TDs (although he might throw one or two on trick plays as well, because he's got that ability too). He'll probably be overvalued by quite a few looking for the next ADP and undervalued by a few who react to the backlash of that by downgrading him too much on the boards. I expect him to be a low end RB1 with either the potential for more, or the potential to become what Bush is now. Still not bad value overall IMO...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:29 pm

I'd rather have Forte, Stewart, or even Kevin Smith this year.

Jemarcus Russell has a long ways to go, and McFadden looks to be in a solid RBBC.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I'd rather have Forte, Stewart, or even Kevin Smith this year.

Jemarcus Russell has a long ways to go, and McFadden looks to be in a solid RBBC.

and Stewart or Mendenhall going forward. McFadden is not going to be that good IMO. I think the comparison to expectations and reality will be very comparable to Bush, everyone is expecting a lot and he won't live up to it, not even close.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk