Darren McFadden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Darren McFadden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Darren McFadden

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:38 pm

The only problem facing McFadden is the crowded backfield in Oakland and how much playing time he gets. With his speed though, Kiffen has already stated he wants to use him in the passing game which adds to his value. The boo-birds are praying he fails so they can caw I told you so. Of course he's no ADP (not that I've seen anyone here claim he is), but he's no bum either. He should have a decent rookie season.

Important to note that under OL coach Tom Cable last year the Raiders dropped their sacks allowed from 72 to 41 and their rushing game improved from 29th to 6th. JaMarcus Russell will benefit greatly from having a full training camp under his belt this season and word is he's become a real film nut, taking home games tapes to study at night and between now and when training camp starts.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:05 pm

stomperrob wrote:The only problem facing McFadden is the crowded backfield in Oakland and how much playing time he gets. With his speed though, Kiffen has already stated he wants to use him in the passing game which adds to his value. The boo-birds are praying he fails so they can caw I told you so. Of course he's no ADP (not that I've seen anyone here claim he is), but he's no bum either. He should have a decent rookie season.

Important to note that under OL coach Tom Cable last year the Raiders dropped their sacks allowed from 72 to 41 and their rushing game improved from 29th to 6th. JaMarcus Russell will benefit greatly from having a full training camp under his belt this season and word is he's become a real film nut, taking home games tapes to study at night and between now and when training camp starts.

I am not praying he fails, I would never do that, I just think he is not going to be a good NFL running back. Yes there have been people here and other places that have said that not only is he comparable to AD, but he is better.

On Russell, I will believe it when I see it.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:54 pm

stomperrob wrote:The only problem facing McFadden is the crowded backfield in Oakland and how much playing time he gets. With his speed though, Kiffen has already stated he wants to use him in the passing game which adds to his value. The boo-birds are praying he fails so they can caw I told you so. Of course he's no ADP (not that I've seen anyone here claim he is), but he's no bum either. He should have a decent rookie season.

Playing time and a crowded backfield are the least of my concerns, not one single guy has the speed and athleticism that McFadden has, nor does any of those guys get paid as much, and neither guy has as much invested in them as does McFadden with a top 5 pick, they didn't take him that soon to give him a few touches a game so I don't think we should be concerned with that...Besides that his upside is ridiculous, he might not be as safe of a pickup as Mendenhall, but if JR gets going McFadden will get going along with him and that offense could become explosive..I think he will be used in a Committee approach at first, but he will get plenty carries to make an impact, otherwise Oakland would of taken Dorsey who would of played alot more for them but they intend on using him as much as possible.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ssarmstro » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 am

[quote="LS2throwed"][quote="stomperrob"]The only problem facing McFadden is the crowded backfield in Oakland and how much playing time he gets. With his speed though, Kiffen has already stated he wants to use him in the passing game which adds to his value. The boo-birds are praying he fails so they can caw [i]I told you so[/i]. Of course he's no ADP (not that I've seen anyone here claim he is), but he's no bum either. He should have a decent rookie season.

Important to note that under OL coach Tom Cable last year the Raiders dropped their sacks allowed from [u]72[/u] to [u]41[/u] and their rushing game improved from [u]29th[/u] to [u]6th[/u]. JaMarcus Russell will benefit greatly from having a full training camp under his belt this season and word is he's become a real film nut, taking home games tapes to study at night and between now and when training camp starts.[/quote]

Playing time and a crowded backfield are the least of my concerns, not one single guy has the speed and athleticism that McFadden has, nor does any of those guys get paid as much, and neither guy has as much invested in them as does McFadden with a top 5 pick, they didn't take him that soon to give him a few touches a game so I don't think we should be concerned with that...Besides that his upside is ridiculous, he might not be as safe of a pickup as Mendenhall, but if JR gets going McFadden will get going along with him and that offense could become explosive..I think he will be used in a Committee approach at first, but he will get plenty carries to make an impact, otherwise Oakland would of taken Dorsey who would of played alot more for them but they intend on using him as much as possible.[/quote]

I agree with some of what you said but you are sort of POO POOing the other backs on the team. Fargas was a 1000 yrd back in half a season last yr and even though Bush was not a first round pick he would have been if not for the injury. All reports say he is fine and looking good as new in Mini camp. Just cuz they got a steal doesn't mean he will stay on the bench. He may not have the speed but Bush is better at breaking tackles and he catches the ball very very well. The hole athleticism comment I could also argue.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:53 am

Bush is the best back in that mess. He'll show it and he'll be the one taking carries away from D-Mac by mid season.You wait and see. D-Mac can't break an NFL tackle. He'll break some runs but he'll end up being a bust in this league.

LT? ADP? Laughable!!!!
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:16 pm

I've seen his game compared by some to Robert Smith, and I like that parallel. A guy who will hammer out a lot of short runs before breaking a big run. A threat every time he touches the field, but never a guy who is a stud in NFL or fantasy circles. And that's no knock on McFadden, as most RB's would be lucky to have the type of career and abilities Smith had, but I just do not see superstardom in his future.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:08 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:I've seen his game compared by some to Robert Smith, and I like that parallel. A guy who will hammer out a lot of short runs before breaking a big run. A threat every time he touches the field, but never a guy who is a stud in NFL or fantasy circles. And that's no knock on McFadden, as most RB's would be lucky to have the type of career and abilities Smith had, but I just do not see superstardom in his future.

This is a fair assesment I think, and I agree with the statement 100%. I am not saying McFadden will bust, just that he is not going to be the stud back everyone thinks he will be.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:18 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:I've seen his game compared by some to Robert Smith, and I like that parallel. A guy who will hammer out a lot of short runs before breaking a big run. A threat every time he touches the field, but never a guy who is a stud in NFL or fantasy circles. And that's no knock on McFadden, as most RB's would be lucky to have the type of career and abilities Smith had, but I just do not see superstardom in his future.

This is a fair assesment I think, and I agree with the statement 100%. I am not saying McFadden will bust, just that he is not going to be the stud back everyone thinks he will be.

I'll third that....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:15 pm

I felt that way before the draft, and I'm really not a fan of McFadden and disagree with him having a AD type impact...But I think some of you are underrating the effect a zone blocking scheme has on a one cut runner like McFadden...These schemes make almost everyone look good, but when you have the type of speed and athleticism McFadden has its only going to help...Yea Fargas and Bush are talented, but again, if Oakland felt comfortable with just them alone Dorsey would of been the easy pick, they didn't draft him over D line help which they could use to stop the run just to give him a few carries a game.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:25 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I felt that way before the draft, and I'm really not a fan of McFadden and disagree with him having a AD type impact...But I think some of you are underrating the effect a zone blocking scheme has on a one cut runner like McFadden...These schemes make almost everyone look good, but when you have the type of speed and athleticism McFadden has its only going to help...Yea Fargas and Bush are talented, but again, if Oakland felt comfortable with just them alone Dorsey would of been the easy pick, they didn't draft him over D line help which they could use to stop the run just to give him a few carries a game.

My thoughts have nothing to do with anyone else on OAK getting carries. My thoughts are on McFadden alone
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk