Darren McFadden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Darren McFadden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Darren McFadden

Postby sappisgod » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:02 am

LS2throwed wrote:I felt that way before the draft, and I'm really not a fan of McFadden and disagree with him having a AD type impact...But I think some of you are underrating the effect a zone blocking scheme has on a one cut runner like McFadden...These schemes make almost everyone look good, but when you have the type of speed and athleticism McFadden has its only going to help...Yea Fargas and Bush are talented, but again, if Oakland felt comfortable with just them alone Dorsey would of been the easy pick, they didn't draft him over D line help which they could use to stop the run just to give him a few carries a game.

I agree. Instead of comparing him to an Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson, how about how he compares to a similar, very relevant Justin Fargas? Fargas was thought to be somewhat of a one-dimensional, soft, speed back and ended up having a solid season that few, if any, expected mainly due to the system. McFadden's talent is similar, but really blows Fargas out of the water (outside of straight line speed of course). His field vision is much better, his hands are better from what I understand, his upside; he is just so much better as a pure rusher.

I think 1100, 5/6 rush TDs, and some very solid receiving stats would be in store maybe not this year, then going down the line.....

I think he got a little over-hyped going into the draft, but now it seems like he got the Reggie Bush-backlash way early.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ssarmstro » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:55 am

[quote="sappisgod"][quote="LS2throwed"]I felt that way before the draft, and I'm really not a fan of McFadden and disagree with him having a AD type impact...[b]But I think some of you are underrating the effect a zone blocking scheme has on a one cut runner like McFadden[/b]...These schemes make almost everyone look good, but when you have the type of speed and athleticism McFadden has its only going to help...Yea Fargas and Bush are talented, but again, if Oakland felt comfortable with just them alone Dorsey would of been the easy pick, they didn't draft him over D line help which they could use to stop the run just to give him a few carries a game.[/quote]

I agree. Instead of comparing him to an Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson, how about how he compares to a similar, very relevant Justin Fargas? Fargas was thought to be somewhat of a one-dimensional, soft, speed back and ended up having a solid season that few, if any, expected mainly due to the system. McFadden's talent is similar, but really blows Fargas out of the water (outside of straight line speed of course). His field vision is much better, his hands are better from what I understand, his upside; he is just so much better as a pure rusher.

I think 1100, 5/6 rush TDs, and some very solid receiving stats would be in store maybe not this year, then going down the line.....

I think he got a little over-hyped going into the draft, but now it seems like he got the Reggie Bush-backlash way early.[/quote]

True but Fargas didn't share the ball with anybody and Mcfadden should/will be sharing the ball with three other people. Fargas is not a star by any means but they brought him back because of what he did last yr. Bush is showing off in camp so I think there is reason to temper expectations on Mc Fadden until preseason where everyones role should be more defined. I just think he is being over valued at this point in the yr by many......
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby footballsimp » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:09 am

McFadden will do great in the NFL. He may not be LT but how many LT's have we seen in our lifetime?

Arkansas had a pathetic passing attack when McFadden was there. Hell, he played in the QB spot more than our QB did when he was there. When he was in the backfield, everyone knew he was going to get the ball and it didn't matter. He was a dominant force in the best conference in college football for three years and he will dominate several teams in the NFL.

To think he may eek out 1,000 yards a season during his career is laughable. He is in a crowded backfield and I think that will hurt his numbers in the short term. Long term= stud.

I venture to say he is going to do a lot better than your boy tebow at the next level Deerayfan.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:18 am

footballsimp wrote:McFadden will do great in the NFL. He may not be LT but how many LT's have we seen in our lifetime?

Arkansas had a pathetic passing attack when McFadden was there. Hell, he played in the QB spot more than our QB did when he was there. When he was in the backfield, everyone knew he was going to get the ball and it didn't matter. He was a dominant force in the best conference in college football for three years and he will dominate several teams in the NFL.

To think he may eek out 1,000 yards a season during his career is laughable. He is in a crowded backfield and I think that will hurt his numbers in the short term. Long term= stud.

I venture to say he is going to do a lot better than your boy tebow at the next level Deerayfan.

You don't know me, so don't act like you know me.

I have not touted Tebow as and NFL prospect once, so get your facts straight before opening your mouth. As you can see I am a UF fan, which means I have watched A LOT of SEC football. You know what... it's not worth it, Im done
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sappisgod » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:33 am

ssarmstro wrote:True but Fargas didn't share the ball with anybody and Mcfadden should/will be sharing the ball with three other people. Fargas is not a star by any means but they brought him back because of what he did last yr. Bush is showing off in camp so I think there is reason to temper expectations on Mc Fadden until preseason where everyones role should be more defined. I just think he is being over valued at this point in the yr by many......

Fargas got 44% of the carries, so he was sharing with somebody. McFadden and Fargas is somewhat redundant, if McFadden plays anywhere near up to par (and not for some people's outrageous expectations), as well as Bush coming along, I could easily see a two man backfield with Fargas getting phased out some.

Bush is doing well, and a lot of people have liked him for some time. But I believe with McFadden's talent, fit for the offense, and yes, salary, the staff will look to him more. Bush will get his share, and the goalline carries I'm almost positive. But I don't think he's going to be getting the majority of the carries anytime soon in Oakland. I'm thinking a 65/35 share of most of the carries between the two. Like DeShaun Foster and DeAngelo Williams last year.

I think this is a case of a few high expectations making a skewed perception. The overall thoughts on McFadden are pretty even IMHO, and yet he always has people saying that he's "overrated" or "over-valued". The best I can compare it to is Adrian Wilson of the Cardinals. Everybody and their mother calls the guy underrated, but if everyone thinks so highly of him, isn't he rated correctly? Sort of the opposite for McFadden right now.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 pm

My thoughts on McFadden being a bust in the NFL here. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby dgan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:58 pm

I think it is difficult to judge pre-training camp. If I were drafting now, I have him as the 31st RB on my board. I imagine he'll move up my board, maybe into the top 20, as things play out in preseason. But right now there are just way too many bodies in that backfield, the offense is still lousy (although dramatically improved from 2 yrs ago), and rookie RBs tend to either get hurt or to get limited carries to keep them healthy. Rookie RBs in redraft leagues are almost always drafted too early IMO, simply because every year ONE rookie RB has a good season.

I don't think from a talent perspective he will be a bust. Maybe not a superstar, but I think he'll be productive in his career. I just don't have any need to rush up and get him this year unless something develops in the next month that indicates Oakland has continued to improve and those other RBs are going to stay on the sidelines.

Bottom line: Drafting any player of Al Davis scares the snot out of me...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 pm

dgan wrote:every year ONE rookie RB has a good season.

You say this after 2 rookies make a push into top 10 fantasy RB ranks?

2007: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, (Kolby Smith had a couple good games)
2006: Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Addai, Jones-Drew, Norwood
2005: Ronnie Brown, Caddy started hot, Benson had a few good games, Marion Barber III, Brandon Jacobs, Frank Gore shared and had like 600/3
2004: This year I drafted a ton of them as a joke in a keeper league, worked well for me. K.Jones, J.Jones, SJax (didn't do a ton year one shared 600/4), Tatum Bell did well then, This was also McGahees first real year (sat out all of year one)
2003: McGahee sat out, LJ was the only big name, but didn't really do anything
2002: Portis, westy... westy shared with like 11 other backs that year :)

etc etc

There is generally more than one. In redraft leagues I understand they go a tad early, in keepers, they should be going. The highly touted generally do make it. generally. To make statement of ONE is a little ridiculous though. Rookie RBs actually do ok in this league since teams have not seen how to prepare for their running style. The bigger concern is situation for that first year. Caddy came in with the job and ripped off 4 100 yard games before getting hurt. JJ took the job at the end of his first year and dominated. His 4 td monday night along with wittens 2 tds were awesome for me.

I can agree with your point that rookie RBs are drafted to early if you are speaking about redraft leagues. This year, however, we have encountered many shared jobs and several rookies in good situations. So it's an interesting year for them.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:41 pm

Raiders' McFadden still is quite a sight
By Steve Corkran
Staff writer
Article Launched: 07/30/2008 08:20:51 PM PDT

NAPA — Every so often, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin is asked which players are catching his eye during training camp practices. Without fail, Kiffin always mentions rookie running back Darren McFadden.

With good reason. McFadden shows up all over the practice field every day. One play he is bursting through the line, into the secondary and outracing an overmatched defensive back. Another time he is swinging out wide, hauling in a pass, blowing past a linebacker and sprinting down the sideline.

"Darren continues to make a play or two every day, a wow play," Kiffin said. "We just have to continue to push him as far as we can and we got to find ways to get him the ball."

McFadden is expected to share the rushing workload with incumbent starter Justin Fargas, at least in the early part of the season.

Long term, he said he envisions playing an integral role in helping the Raiders turn around their five-year slide from a Super Bowl team into one that hasn't won more than five games in any season.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders ... ck_check=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:26 pm

I feel like McFadden is a guy who will be a good contributor to fantasy teams later on in the year. He will share time for awhile but eventually the Raiders will need him to be on the field as much as possible with McFadden being one of their true playmakers. He'll be on the field more and more as the season progresses.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Football Talk