Matt Forte - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Forte

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Forte

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 am

Clear cut #1 in Chicago, Lovie not interested in signing another back...

Bears' starting RB job looks like Forte's to lose
Smith rules out signing a veteran to replace Benson
June 19, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

The final practice session of the offseason Wednesday did little to indicate who will be the Bears' starting quarterback Sept. 7 at Indianapolis.

At least some names were ruled out at running back. Coach Lovie Smith put the kibosh on the idea that the team will bring in an experienced back, making it clear that rookie second-round pick Matt Forte is being counted on as the starter from Day 1.

''We like the running backs we have right now,'' Smith said. ''We don't have any plans to [sign one]. From Matt to Adrian Peterson to Garrett Wolfe to P.J. Pope, Matt Lawrence, we like all of our players, and those are the ones that we're going with.''

So scratch Kevin Jones off your list, as well as Shaun Alexander, Ron Dayne and Lamont Jordan (if he's finally cut). And if you even considered Travis Henry in the first place, you must have been dreaming.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football ... ear19.stng
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Matt Forte

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:32 pm

If Chicago has not signed a RB by August, I will be very surprised.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:45 pm

i think they are set with Peterson, Forte, and Wolfe...That being said, him and Kevin Smith are the two wildcards, one of these guys is probably going to end up a stud and the other will end up like Brandon Jackson for Green Bay...Its tough to figure out what Forte will do, the offense isn't very high powered, but he should be the main guy and if he proves he can handle it he will keep it.

I honest'y can't tell you where I think his value sits, but Benson getting cut gives him a huge boost, but if I had to go with one or the other I'd bank on Kevin Smith more, he is more of a workhorse, and he is perfect for a zone blocking scheme...
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:42 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=117553&id=4685

Coach Lovie Smith says the Bears have no current intentions of pursuing a veteran running back to compete or share carries with Matt Forte.

It's a lot of faith to put in a rookie, not that the backs available other than Kevin Jones are intriguing. "We don't have any plans to do that," Smith said. "We like all of our players and those are the ones that we're going with." Forte could be in line for 300 carries as a rookie if Lovie sticks to his guns.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:01 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=117553&id=4685

Coach Lovie Smith says the Bears have no current intentions of pursuing a veteran running back to compete or share carries with Matt Forte.

It's a lot of faith to put in a rookie, not that the backs available other than Kevin Jones are intriguing. "We don't have any plans to do that," Smith said. "We like all of our players and those are the ones that we're going with." Forte could be in line for 300 carries as a rookie if Lovie sticks to his guns.

This is the same guy who two weeks ago said that Cedric Benson was the unquestioned starter.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=117553&id=4685

This is the same guy who two weeks ago said that Cedric Benson was the unquestioned starter.

;-D

This is the second thing today I have totally agreed with you on Ken, that's a record :-b ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Kensat30 wrote:

Two weeks ago Benson may very well have been the starter and now that he's gone, Forte is the starter. I'm not saying I'm buyin' what Lovie is sellin', but the two statements would seem to be mutually exclusive.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't think Chicago should try to get someone else. Adrian Peterson did okay last year when he got the opportunity, and who knows, maybe Wolff could turn out to be good.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:49 pm

bears are in for a long season, but i think forte will be one of their strengths
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:58 pm

ttwarrior1 wrote:bears are in for a long season, but i think forte will be one of their strengths

That may not be a good thing. ;-)
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk