Garden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Garden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Garden

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:56 pm

Does anyone else have one? We decided to do one this year, it is my first time, so I did a little research, but don't have a lot of experence with it. Any tips, advice.

We planted it about a month ago. It is an 8' X 10' garden. We actually overbought for it, but I think it will still turn out OK. We have tomatoes, lettuce, dill, red onions, yellow sweet onions, chives, carrots, corn, green/yellow/red peppers and a pumpkin.

So far things seem to be going good, the only thing available right now are the dill and lettuce. Both have been used so far and taste great. Looking forward to the rest of it coming around.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Garden

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:01 pm

We've been growing a garden for a few years. I think you've WAY overbought for 8x10, but if you don't mind digging into your tomatoes for the fruit it's not going to be too bad. We have one 6x12 garden with four tomatoes, one cucumber and one pepper, and another more shaded patch that's about 8x12 for herbs.

If your soil is good you'll have decent production from everything. Make sure you give your tomatoes about the same amount of water every couple of days. Too much water one time and too little the next can make the fruit split.

What kind of tomatoes did you plant?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:16 pm

knapplc wrote:We've been growing a garden for a few years. I think you've WAY overbought for 8x10, but if you don't mind digging into your tomatoes for the fruit it's not going to be too bad. We have one 6x12 garden with four tomatoes, one cucumber and one pepper, and another more shaded patch that's about 8x12 for herbs.

If your soil is good you'll have decent production from everything. Make sure you give your tomatoes about the same amount of water every couple of days. Too much water one time and too little the next can make the fruit split.

What kind of tomatoes did you plant?

Yeah, everything is spaced pretty good, but I can see it becoming a litle crowded soon. It's in a pretty good spot where I should be able to get to everything fairly easy. Next year we will for sure be a little more prepared.

The soil is good, and I have been making sure that it is getting an even amount of water and checking things everyday.

We have Early girl tomato plants.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:24 pm

favorite pearl jam song. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:27 pm

We grew a "salsa garden" for years. Tomatoes, peppers, etc. We have also had squash, zucchini, okra, corn, etc. as well. This year, we got it planted WAY late and I am not even sure what my mom put into it, but we haven't had one since we moved into the house we are in now because we didn't want to till a section of the yard for it. So we built a frame to have a raised garden instead. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:31 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:So we built a frame to have a raised garden instead. ;-D

That is what mine is ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby josebach » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:40 pm

We have a littler herb garden. We got the kit from a fair. It's got Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme in it.

;-)

Actually, it's just got mint and basil in it right now. :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:57 pm

my wife has a whole bunch of perennials, so we dont have much space for a real garden, but i do have 4 tomato plants (roma, grape, early girl, beefsteak), a green pepper plant, red pepper plant, some basil and some cilantro
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:43 pm

we generally grow atleast tomatoes every year. This year was the first year I tried herbs, not going as well as planned but some of it's doing alright. We also planted Canteloupe (I heart this stuff), watermelon, corn, beans (sisters idea...) and tomatoes.

...we don't have it raised though and it's about time I broke out the pellet gun on a few rabbits, they're tearing up my canteloupe plants and even went as far as to eat one of my corn plants...what's up with that?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:we generally grow atleast tomatoes every year. This year was the first year I tried herbs, not going as well as planned but some of it's doing alright. We also planted Canteloupe (I heart this stuff), watermelon, corn, beans (sisters idea...) and tomatoes.

...we don't have it raised though and it's about time I broke out the pellet gun on a few rabbits, they're tearing up my canteloupe plants and even went as far as to eat one of my corn plants...what's up with that?

Corn grows on stalks. :-B
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk