league settings advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

league settings advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

league settings advice

Postby Newkie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Need some advice on what works best in a 12 team, H2H non keeper league. This is a multi yr league, so even though we have played together for a few yrs now, we still have questions on the best roster, stats for our league. We obviously dont all agree on all, otherwise I wouldnt be needing some outside advice on the topic.
Below is last yrs settings. One manager brought up last yr, and again this yr about having only -1 for an interception. We voted and the majority wanted -1 last yr. I still like the -2 for an interception because of the -2 for a fumble, or a +2 for a defensive interception. It just looked like to me that too many average QB's in our league had higher point totals than a good WR or RB? Should it be -1 or -2 in your opinion.
Also he brought up this yr that it makes it a much more fair and even league if we have 3 WR's instead of 2, and do away with the flex position?
I dont have an opinion on this one, but it does make a little sense to me.
Thanks for your advice, and good luck in your leagues too.

Newkie

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Stat Categories: Passing Yards (25 yards per point; 3 points at 300 yards; 1 points at 350 yards; 1 points at 400 yards)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point; 3 points at 100 yards; 1 points at 150 yards; 1 points at 200 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point; 3 points at 100 yards; 1 points at 150 yards; 1 points at 200 yards)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Points Allowed 0 points (12)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (8)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Newkie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: league settings advice

Postby dream_017 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 pm

With those settings, I would go with -2 for interceptions thrown. I have never been a big fan of the flex position, but it has grown on me and I'll use it in a few leagues, but I would rather go with the 3rd WR than a flex. I think the set line-up tends to keep things a little more balanced, but the the flex puts more pressure on the draft and managing your roster throughout the season. It can make or break it. If you draft for starting 3 RBs and then hit a bad injury bug, your season can be lost.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Newkie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks...
I also think the flex can be a good thing. I like it. But the draft really comes into play when it comes to getting that 3rd RB.
Thanks for the input.

Newkie

P.S. any more would be appreciated
Newkie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Newkie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:13 am

Anyone else have an opinion? I am definetly leaning towards -2 for interceptions. I just cant see why the managers in the league wanted to have it -1 last yr. I still think that most int. are the QB's fault, and should suffer for it.

I am leaning towards the flex also, but wouldnt mind 3 WR's if the majority want it. I think having the flex will put more importance in the draft, and maybe help with more trade activitiy.

Newkie
Newkie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:03 pm

with 6pts a passing TD i think you have to give -2 for int....or i would think QB would be too valuable. im all for trying to make each main position equal

and i like the flex. i like it for what it represents...its a flex position(i know its redundant, but it works). i like choosing if i want to go for that 3rd RB or get more WRs. i dont liek having just 2 RB spots, bc then you dont use all the RBs in teh league. its like having only 2 RO and no P spots in baseball...doing that means all teh closers arent used. when i thinkthey should be

and what would be the point of going from a flex to a third WR? why not give more roster flexibility?

and to teh point that a flex requires you to have 3 good RBs to win....teh guy who got second in a 14 team flex league last year traded to get 3 good WRs and 2 average/crappy RBs. so you can win either way
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby LegendoftheFall » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:14 pm

i agree:with 6pt passing td's you need -2 for ints. If you had 4 pt passing then maybe -1. You dont want the games decided strictly by who had the hot QB that week.

as for the flex, its just a matter of preference. i prefer 2 rb, 3wr, no flex. if you do have a flex, the RBs are even more valuable and the game becomes who has the best 3 RBs. RBs are already the most valuable and having a flex makes them even more so. i kinda like to spread it out a little. just my opinion on that.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby theimitator » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:17 pm

I'll echo what the others have said.

This year my league is moving to a QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, FLX, TE, K, DST, from a 3 WR set last year. As some have mentioned in another thread, it does two things: rewards those who do their homework, and lessens the chances of a season ending injury.

I've always done -2 for INTs, and fumbles. A turnover is a turnover. Why should a QB be penalized less if he drops the ball and a D-Lineman falls on it, versus throwing a bonehead pass into coverage?
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:43 am

Yardage bonuses are not my cup of tea. A player already gets rewarded for every 10 yards. I see no reason to reward a player who gets say, 150 yards, and to not reward a players who gets 149. Seems silly to me.

I like that it is ppr, and that there is a flex. I always recommed to everyone to allow QBs in the flex too. I've been in leagues with and without the QB/RB/WR/TE flex, and they are good too, but added the possibility of starting a second QB just adds to the possible strategy.

I would make all turnovers -3. I am a believer that a turnover should be worth 1/2 of a touchdown.

Regarding the QB flex again, many people think that it makes QBs too powerful because they score more, but this is not the case. It is very balanced. The #16 QB does not really put up good consistent numbers. It's all about doing your homework and seeing what matchup, whether it be RB, QB, TE, or WR, is best for you. Thats why I love the strategy it adds, not only in the draft.

Heck, one of the teams last year had Brady and Manning, and still didn't win it all. To get those two guys you gotta use some pretty high draft picks, and it really affects the rest of your team make-up.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Newkie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 am

I do like the QB used as part of the flex position, but unfortuntely, Yahoo doesnt provide that option. I agree also that getting 149 yds sucks when you dont get the added bonus, but it also sucks not to get the 99 yds by a yard or two also. You have to make the bonus start somewhere. I have always liked the bonus system to reward a big day. Lets face it, 150+ yds running or recieving is quite a day, and 300+ yds for passing is quite a day.

Thanks

The Balanced Man wrote:Yardage bonuses are not my cup of tea. A player already gets rewarded for every 10 yards. I see no reason to reward a player who gets say, 150 yards, and to not reward a players who gets 149. Seems silly to me.

I like that it is ppr, and that there is a flex. I always recommed to everyone to allow QBs in the flex too. I've been in leagues with and without the QB/RB/WR/TE flex, and they are good too, but added the possibility of starting a second QB just adds to the possible strategy.

I would make all turnovers -3. I am a believer that a turnover should be worth 1/2 of a touchdown.

Regarding the QB flex again, many people think that it makes QBs too powerful because they score more, but this is not the case. It is very balanced. The #16 QB does not really put up good consistent numbers. It's all about doing your homework and seeing what matchup, whether it be RB, QB, TE, or WR, is best for you. Thats why I love the strategy it adds, not only in the draft.

Heck, one of the teams last year had Brady and Manning, and still didn't win it all. To get those two guys you gotta use some pretty high draft picks, and it really affects the rest of your team make-up.
Newkie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:34 pm

dream_017 wrote:With those settings, I would go with -2 for interceptions thrown. I have never been a big fan of the flex position, but it has grown on me and I'll use it in a few leagues, but I would rather go with the 3rd WR than a flex. I think the set line-up tends to keep things a little more balanced, but the the flex puts more pressure on the draft and managing your roster throughout the season. It can make or break it. If you draft for starting 3 RBs and then hit a bad injury bug, your season can be lost.

We have a "flex" option, but we do it a bit differently (that I really like.).

We can start three different lineup options

"T Formation" (3 RBs, 1 WR, 2 TE)
"Single Back" (1 RB, 5 WR)
"Pro Set" (2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE)

Its actually opened up the strategy options and made things a little more interesting. We also give TE 1.5 points per 10 yards (compare to 1 per 10) to balance things out a bit.

I spent most of last season running 3/1/2 but when my backup WRs had nice matchups compared to my 3rd RB (LenDale) I would switch it up. Someone whose star RB goes down has more option on how to replace them with our setup.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner