Keeper League Newbie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Newbie

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper League Newbie

Postby SeeJayGo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:50 am

Hey guys, I'm a commish for a 12 team league for me and my friends on ESPN.com that's been goin on for 2 season and we've all decided to go keepers this season and I have a question on how this will work. I understand the basis of what a keeper is and how it works, but I just had a specif question about a certain detail. I've been searching the forum and didn't get an answer. I was wondering if a Manager can skip out keeping a player and instead just gain a draft pick? I read in an article way back that you could do that but I wasn't too sure about it and I can't seem to find that link. I highly doubt that it works that way, but it would be something my team is very interested in.

What I mean by my question is this: can a manager skip out on a keeper, and in place, gain a draft pick on their respective standings? Like, if the 12th place team and the 8th place team don't have a player they wish to keep, will the 12th place team get a 1st overall pick and the 8th place team get a 2nd overall pick, then 12th place gets 3rd overall, 11th gets 4th overall, etc. or does all team members HAVE to keep a player? I'm gonna say it's the latter, but this was just something I heard about and wanna know if it's possible. Thanks in advance.

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper League Newbie

Postby dream_017 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:20 am

SeeJayGo wrote:Hey guys, I'm a commish for a 12 team league for me and my friends on ESPN.com that's been goin on for 2 season and we've all decided to go keepers this season and I have a question on how this will work. I understand the basis of what a keeper is and how it works, but I just had a specif question about a certain detail. I've been searching the forum and didn't get an answer. I was wondering if a Manager can skip out keeping a player and instead just gain a draft pick? I read in an article way back that you could do that but I wasn't too sure about it and I can't seem to find that link. I highly doubt that it works that way, but it would be something my team is very interested in.

What I mean by my question is this: can a manager skip out on a keeper, and in place, gain a draft pick on their respective standings? Like, if the 12th place team and the 8th place team don't have a player they wish to keep, will the 12th place team get a 1st overall pick and the 8th place team get a 2nd overall pick, then 12th place gets 3rd overall, 11th gets 4th overall, etc. or does all team members HAVE to keep a player? I'm gonna say it's the latter, but this was just something I heard about and wanna know if it's possible. Thanks in advance.

I am in a keeper league like you explain in your example. We can keep up to 4 players. Meaning you can keep 0-1-2-3 or 4. If you don't keep any, you have picks prior to the teams that keep 4. It all depends how you want to set it up, either you have to keep a certain number or you can keep up to a certain number. Whatever works best for your league ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby SeeJayGo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Ah so people can choose not to select a keeper and in turn get a draft pick according to their standing? Also, what site do you use? Thank you btw!

Postby dream_017 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:20 pm

SeeJayGo wrote:Ah so people can choose not to select a keeper and in turn get a draft pick according to their standing? Also, what site do you use? Thank you btw!

I have leagues in just about all sites, but the one that we use for this keeper league is fanball.com
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeeJayGo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 am

dream_017 wrote:
SeeJayGo wrote:Ah so people can choose not to select a keeper and in turn get a draft pick according to their standing? Also, what site do you use? Thank you btw!

I have leagues in just about all sites, but the one that we use for this keeper league is fanball.com

Ah thank you, hopefully that concept works for ESPN. Thanks a lot! ;-D

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:13 am

dream_017 wrote:

I love my fanball.com league - it will always be near and dear to my heart - but I wish my commish would stop shelling out so much cash just for above-average amenities and the ability to save league records, etc !+)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:55 am

SeeJayGo wrote:Hey guys, I'm a commish for a 12 team league for me and my friends on ESPN.com that's been goin on for 2 season and we've all decided to go keepers this season and I have a question on how this will work. I understand the basis of what a keeper is and how it works, but I just had a specif question about a certain detail. I've been searching the forum and didn't get an answer. I was wondering if a Manager can skip out keeping a player and instead just gain a draft pick? I read in an article way back that you could do that but I wasn't too sure about it and I can't seem to find that link. I highly doubt that it works that way, but it would be something my team is very interested in.

I'm also in a league that does this. It's the False Start Fantasy Football League here on the Cafe. You can check out the "rules & settings" thread for the exact rule. I'll post it here also.

We can keep up to 3. Look at it as these 3 players occupying the 1st 3 rounds of your draft. If you keep less than 3 you get a "supplemental" pick before the actual draft starts. The supplemental picks must be veterans because these are technically your 3 keepers from the year before. We also draft these supplemental picks NFL style, before starting the serpentine draft in what's really the 4th round.

If everyone keeps at least 1 player, noone gets a pick in the 1st round. If someone keeps zero players, they get a supplemental pick in the 1st round. If everyone keeps at least 2 players, noone gets a pick in the 2nd round. If someone keeps 0 or 1 player, they get a supplemental pick in the 2nd round...and the same for the 3rd round. If more than 1 owner has a supplemental pick in any given round...they draft NFL style (1-12 then 1-12 then 1-12). Once everyone has their 3 keepers, we start the draft serpentine style & the top rookie RB's usually go 1st since they have the potential to be keepers in the future.

Hope that helps & good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby heelfan72 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:55 pm

In my keeper league we decided to not give draft picks if you didn't have keepers. A 12th place team can keep no one and draft 3 better players and then have a better team than half the league. Keeper league IMO is you have to keep 3 players from year to year. Otherwise it''s not a true keeper, it becomes half keeper half redraft. It also works for the better teams as well. Say the superbowl winner has 2 dominant players and wants to jump in and get a free agent player that would be better than the player that he drafts at the end of the 4th round. There's not an easy way to do it, but after doing it where you have to keep players and no draft picks, it seems to have worked for us. Good luck.
heelfan72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Matchup Meltdown ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dream_017 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:47 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
dream_017 wrote:

I love my fanball.com league - it will always be near and dear to my heart - but I wish my commish would stop shelling out so much cash just for above-average amenities and the ability to save league records, etc !+)

Right there with you. I've tried to get mine to change a couple times and the majority like that they have all the records from previous years already on the site.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 am

dream_017 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:I love my fanball.com league - it will always be near and dear to my heart - but I wish my commish would stop shelling out so much cash just for above-average amenities and the ability to save league records, etc !+)

Right there with you. I've tried to get mine to change a couple times and the majority like that they have all the records from previous years already on the site.

That is the stumbling block in mine too! And I've won 2 and gotten second twice in four years, so I would think they would be all for it B-) 8-o :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner