Some people... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Some people...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Some people...

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:31 pm

...should definitely not be allowed to reproduce! Definitely low tide in the gene pool here:

Man sentenced for putting stepson's face in scalding water
By CHRIS ECHEGARAY • Staff Writer • June 23, 2008

A man was sentenced to 11 years in prison today for putting his 3-year-old stepson’s face under scalding hot water in a last-minute plea bargain in Davidson County Criminal Court.

Joshua Schaffer, 30, pleaded guilty to attempted child abuse stemming from the Dec. 8, 2006 incident. Schaffer, who was slated for trial in front of Judge Cheryl Blackburn this morning, has to serve at least 30 percent of the sentence.

Schaffer was taking care of the child while his wife worked. He decided to discipline the child by putting his face under hot water, Assistant District Attorney General Sharon Reddick recounted in court.

Schaffer took the toddler to Southern Hills Medical Center, where he was treated for first and second degree burns, court records show.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 0/TUNEIN01
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Some people...

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:45 pm

An eye for an eye, I say. :-C :-t
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:17 am

What a great mother to leave her child with such a monster.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:42 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:What a great mother to leave her child with such a monster.

How on earth can you place blame on the mother for this? It's not as if she left the kid with a complete stranger, this is her husband. And it appears that she told him he wasn't allowed to spank the kid, so rather than not physically disciplining him, which is sounds like she was trying to prevent, he finds something other than spanking to do. The article doesn't mention anything about priors, so this could very well be the first time that he did anything like this. The guy deserves whatever he has coming, and most likely more, the mother doesn't deserve to be chastised and blamed for the actions of someone else.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:49 am

Art Vandelay wrote:

How on earth can you place blame on the mother for this? It's not as if she left the kid with a complete stranger, this is her husband. And it appears that she told him he wasn't allowed to spank the kid, so rather than not physically disciplining him, which is sounds like she was trying to prevent, he finds something other than spanking to do. The article doesn't mention anything about priors, so this could very well be the first time that he did anything like this. The guy deserves whatever he has coming, and most likely more, the mother doesn't deserve to be chastised and blamed for the actions of someone else.

You've never heard of enabling, I take it? There is such a thing as being an accomplice, too. Absolving her of any wrongdoing is probably premature. As with all the articles we discuss hereabouts, there's vastly more to this story than we're getting in a few paragraphs. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around in this story.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mad hatter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:30 am

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

You've never heard of enabling, I take it? There is such a thing as being an accomplice, too. Absolving her of any wrongdoing is probably premature. As with all the articles we discuss hereabouts, there's vastly more to this story than we're getting in a few paragraphs. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around in this story.

i'm sure art just didn't realize that the cafe was the home of the perfect parent alliance.
We must not confuse dissent from disloyalty. We will not walk in fear, one of another, we will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.

my words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout
i may make you feel -- but i can't make you think
mad hatter
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: Constantly overstimulated, yet simulatneously underwhelmed.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 am

Art Vandelay wrote:

I can guarantee the mother knew more than you think. The article mentioned that he disciplined the child by giving him hot and/or cold showers so there were priors. And the mother had to have been aware of this. She did not protect her child, which is her most important responsbility. She let this happen to her kid.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:36 am

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

She's an accomplice for leaving her kid with her husband? I mean, sure, she left the kid with a person that eventually did something really bad to him, but come on, she couldn't have seen this coming. No mother would leave their kid with someone who they thought might harm them.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:She's an accomplice for leaving her kid with her husband? I mean, sure, she left the kid with a person that eventually did something really bad to him, but come on, she couldn't have seen this coming. No mother would leave their kid with someone who they thought might harm them.

Happens all the time, my friend. Watch the news. :,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:42 am

mad hatter wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:How on earth can you place blame on the mother for this? It's not as if she left the kid with a complete stranger, this is her husband. And it appears that she told him he wasn't allowed to spank the kid, so rather than not physically disciplining him, which is sounds like she was trying to prevent, he finds something other than spanking to do. The article doesn't mention anything about priors, so this could very well be the first time that he did anything like this. The guy deserves whatever he has coming, and most likely more, the mother doesn't deserve to be chastised and blamed for the actions of someone else.

i'm sure art just didn't realize that the cafe was the home of the perfect parent alliance.

As opposed to the pithy comment/sockpuppet alliance?

Sick burn? ;-7
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk