John McCain offers $300 million prize!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

John McCain offers $300 million prize!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

John McCain offers $300 million prize!!!

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:56 pm

...time to start inventin' guys!

McCain proposes $300M prize for new auto battery
Monday, June 23, 2008 4:14:03 PM
By GLEN JOHNSON

John McCain is hoping to solve the country's energy crisis with cold hard cash. The presumed Republican nominee on Monday proposed a $300 million government prize to whoever can develop an automobile battery that far surpasses existing technology. The bounty would equate to $1 for every man, woman and child in the country, "a small price to pay for helping to break the back of our oil dependency," McCain said at Fresno State University.

McCain said such a device should deliver power at 30 percent of current costs and have "the size, capacity, cost and power to leapfrog the commercially available plug-in hybrids or electric cars."

The Arizona senator also proposed stiffer fines for automakers who skirt existing fuel-efficiency standards, as well as incentives to increase use of domestic and foreign alcohol-based fuels such as ethanol.

In addition, a so-called Clean Car Challenge would encourage U.S. automakers to develop zero-emission vehicles by offering consumers the incentive of a $5,000 tax credit when they purchase one.

"In the quest for alternatives to oil, our government has thrown around enough money subsidizing special interests and excusing failure," said McCain. "From now on, we will encourage heroic efforts in engineering, and we will reward the greatest success."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.mail.com/news.aspx?cat=topheadlines
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: John McCain offers $300 million prize!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:14 am

When I get home later tonight, I'll throw some stuff together and have it for you tomorrow morning. Sound good? ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:19 am

It's the X-Prize, only with a bigger payout. The idea is old, but a good one. It is just a sign of our laziness that we haven't invented a better battery, or a better photovoltaic cell, or in general a better way to fuel our vehicles. We have the smarts to do it, just not the motivation for some reason.

Yeah it's a cheap election-year ploy, but it could turn out to be a pretty darned good one. And it's LOOOONG overdue.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 am

knapplc wrote:It's the X-Prize, only with a bigger payout. The idea is old, but a good one. It is just a sign of our laziness that we haven't invented a better battery, or a better photovoltaic cell, or in general a better way to fuel our vehicles. We have the smarts to do it, just not the motivation for some reason.

Yeah it's a cheap election-year ploy, but it could turn out to be a pretty darned good one. And it's LOOOONG overdue.

easiest way to get Americans to do something quickly is offer good money for the end result

We had a bridge that needed to be knocked down and rebuilt here on a major highway. They offered 300,000 for it to be done early. They projected it would take 2 months, they did it in 1 month. They had people working pretty much 24 hours. Why? They were offered significant cash to get it done soon.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 am

Goooo Capitalism! ;-D

I hear you, though. It's maybe a bit cynical, but money is the grease in the wheels of America. That's the way it goes.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 am

knapplc wrote:Goooo Capitalism! ;-D

I hear you, though. It's maybe a bit cynical, but money is the grease in the wheels of America. That's the way it goes.

I think it is realistic, not cynical. I also have no problem with it
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I would pay more than a buck for this... Hopefully the gov't actually has to shell it out. That means we will have achieved it.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby eagles21 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Pretty cool idea. I hope it works. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:47 pm

treat24 wrote:I would pay more than a buck for this... Hopefully the gov't actually has to shell it out. That means we will have achieved it.

The government first has to approve it, McCain proposed it, but he doesn't control congress
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:22 pm

One of the editors of Car and Driver laughs at these government edicts/incentives that push for automakers to change something within a short deadline. Biggest reason he gave was that it takes automakers long years to get anything from the drawing board to actual production, usually longer than whatever deadline is set. McCain's statement about subsidizing special interests is also funny, as how some people view the ethanol push as one such special interest. I don't really like the idea of using my tax money to front this cash prize either.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk