John McCain offers $300 million prize!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

John McCain offers $300 million prize!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: John McCain offers $300 million prize!!!

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:38 am

beanoX3 wrote:One of the editors of Car and Driver laughs at these government edicts/incentives that push for automakers to change something within a short deadline. Biggest reason he gave was that it takes automakers long years to get anything from the drawing board to actual production, usually longer than whatever deadline is set. McCain's statement about subsidizing special interests is also funny, as how some people view the ethanol push as one such special interest. I don't really like the idea of using my tax money to front this cash prize either.

This is for anyone, not just Auto makers. I think individual scientists can get this done a lot faster than people in the car industry.

You don't like the idea of a $1 going to the prize? :-? Also, the prize is only given IF someone can get it done
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: John McCain offers $300 million prize!!!

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:One of the editors of Car and Driver laughs at these government edicts/incentives that push for automakers to change something within a short deadline. Biggest reason he gave was that it takes automakers long years to get anything from the drawing board to actual production, usually longer than whatever deadline is set. McCain's statement about subsidizing special interests is also funny, as how some people view the ethanol push as one such special interest. I don't really like the idea of using my tax money to front this cash prize either.

This is for anyone, not just Auto makers. I think individual scientists can get this done a lot faster than people in the car industry.

You don't like the idea of a $1 going to the prize? :-? Also, the prize is only given IF someone can get it done

I don't think individual scientists would get this done before the auto industry or some other industry, mostly because there's hardly any independent scientists left with the resources to do their own research. There are groups/companies that have already been working on a more efficient lithium battery though, with the latest I heard being that they just need to get one big and light enough to run a car.

As for McCain's claim that it would only take a $1 out of our pockets, I see that as sugar coating something to make it more palatable for us. Not everyone pays taxes and a $1 is worth more to some of us than others. I highly doubt the government is able to do something like this without incurring some absurd cost down the line too, that they'd just pass on to taxpayers. In any case, a cash incentive sounds nice and all, but I hardly see why its needed. Hybrids and electric cars are all the rage right now and the auto industry is already moving on development. Besides, this plan also seems counter-productive to the election promises about lowering gas prices, which would kill the growing interest in gas alternative cars. Basically, I never trust any election year proposals from any candidate.
:-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk