Rotating Skyscraper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Rotating Skyscraper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rotating Skyscraper

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:21 am

This is pretty neat looking, I'm not sure I'd want to live in it though, nor could I currently afford the $3,000/sq. foot average price tag per unit.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/06/25/duibai.tower/index.html
(CNN) -- Ambitious plans to build a revolutionary 420-meter shape-shifting skyscraper in Dubai have been unveiled by architects.

The 80-story Dynamic Tower, described as the "world's first building in motion," will also be the first skyscraper constructed from prefabricated units, according to a press statement released by New York-based architect David Fisher's Dynamic Group.

Each floor would be capable of rotating independently, powered by wind turbines fitted between each floor
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rotating Skyscraper

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:29 am

Yeah I remember seeing something about this before, not sure if it was here or not. I was telling somebody about it the other day...for some reason I thought it was in Japan. :-?

Anyway, yeah I don't think I want to live in a moving building either. Pretty neat though.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:30 am

I'm not so sure I'd want to have to stock up on dramamine just to go to the office every day. It's a neat concept, and it'll be cool if they can pull it off, but for the money there's no way it's practical.

I wonder if the sandstorms will block the gears? :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:30 am

interesting looking
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

Sounds fun. Not very practical, but fun.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 pm

This guy sounds a bit sketchy, but this sounds awesome. I don't know much about the UAE but I hope they are more stable than middle east neighbors, would hate to see this tower take a fall. (I mean, those are the least of my concerns, but for the sake of the topic)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:31 pm

aaawall91 wrote:This guy sounds a bit sketchy, but this sounds awesome. I don't know much about the UAE but I hope they are more stable than middle east neighbors, would hate to see this tower take a fall. (I mean, those are the least of my concerns, but for the sake of the topic)

UAE is a small country with a few guys who are obscenely rich. Probably best known for spending huge amounts of money on gimmicky things like this. Check out this slideshow of stuff they've built over there or have currently under construction.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/03 ... dex_01.htm

Also, Dubai is where Michael Jackson was hired by some rich guy to design a mall or amusement park or something. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:06 pm

One thing I wondered about is wind shear. I've read that large structures are heavily reinforced to deal with it, but what happens when each level of the building is out of sync with the other and creates huge drag. I'm guessing that building will sway alot, and I frankly don't like being more than a foot off the ground, let alone hundreds of feet up and in a building going to and fro.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Having dined in the Calgary Tower and Seattle Space Needle (both of which rotate), I can say the novelty wears off after about 90 minutes - don't think I'd want to live or work in a building that kept rotating.
:-t :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:43 pm

Unfortunately all of these mega billion dollar buildings will be blown up in less than 10 years. 8-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Return to General Talk