How long does a live auction draft take - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

How long does a live auction draft take

Moderator: Football Moderators

How long does a live auction draft take

Postby ttwarrior1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:22 pm

12 people, not sure what our cap would be, probaly 150 or 200 , with experienced players, but none of us ever done a mock draft plus adding a ten minute and 20 minute break during the draft.
Im sure it takes extra time then and online draft and people keeping track of their money and having others know what money everyone else has left.
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How long does a live auction draft take

Postby hermitkendle » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 am

YOu have to set a time limit on picks, say 2 min max... also if they dont make pick they get jumped past. also you didnt post how many rounds it will be.. so if u do the 2 min per pick with 12 pep each round will be aound 24 if pep take all thier time... another thing you can do is say no trades during the draft becasue that really slows a draft down alot
hermitkendle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby UTHOOKEM » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:04 pm

I was in a 12 team league last year and we did our draft via conference call since we're all over the US and with rounds 1-7 being 2 mins and rounds 8-15 being one min along with a 5 minute break in b/t rounds 7 and 8, our draft lasted around 3-3.5 hours. We always try to set our draft date on labor day weekend that way we don't have to worry about work, kids, school, or whatever, everyone is off. Also, I personally believe it's a good idea to wait till labor day weekend b/c by that time most teams are set, the injury report is current (i.e. you don't want to draft brady now and find out brady got hurt during training camp, that would piss me off) and any trades, cuts, FA pick ups, etc are pretty much all done by then.
Wake up, watch some tv, have some people from the league come over, start setting up the conference calls (via cell phone and skype, if you have a cell phone, make sure you bring your CHARGER!) DRAFT, then bbq! It's a lot of fun.
UTHOOKEM
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BGbootha » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:58 pm

ttwarrior1 wrote:12 people, not sure what our cap would be, probaly 150 or 200 , with experienced players, but none of us ever done a mock draft plus adding a ten minute and 20 minute break during the draft.
Im sure it takes extra time then and online draft and people keeping track of their money and having others know what money everyone else has left.

*Disclaimer - I have not done a live auction for football only baseball.

That being said they take while....we run a 12 team, baseball league with 20 man rosters and it takes about 4 hours. That being said we spend a great deal of time BSing and having a good time so we don't rush it by any means at all. Usually it will take about twice as long as a draft.

My suggestion would be to go into it with all the rules established so you don't spend a great deal of time going over the rules.

1. How will it work? Who calls out the name and how does the bidding occur and end?
2. Punishments for going over cap (it will happen)?
3. Trades? How do they work, how are they approved or unnaproved etc.
4. Time limits, how long does someone have to say 'I BID XXX' before the player is sold?
5. Who is in charge...you need to have someone run the auction, I have found that it works best to have someone who isn't in the league run the auction, but that usually isn't available.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Return to Beginner's Forum