Scientist trying to end the world? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Scientist trying to end the world?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Scientist trying to end the world?

Postby GoFaulkYourself » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:50 pm

word
:-°
Boston sports fan
My First Sig XD
GoFaulkYourself
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 pm

knapplc wrote:You should read up on string theory - it's a lot of fun.

But to get to your point, yeah - everything is made of nothing. Your hand resting on your mouse... you feel that contact, right? But they're not touching. Matter never touches. Matter is made up of atoms, which as you point out is made up of 90% nothing. That other 10% is so tiny and moves around so fast that it looks solid, but it isn't. All you're doing is pressing the energy of the atoms of your hand up against the energy of the atoms of the mouse, and the collision of those two energy fields is what you feel as touch.

String theory was easily the most interesting thing I studied in college. I strongly recommend anyone who is even slightly interested as to what the hell it is to check it out. It made my Senior Math Seminar a blast.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:05 pm

The Atom Smasher has smashed this post to oblivion and now the text has been reduced to micron sized matter.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:49 am

SniperShot wrote:The Atom Smasher has smashed this post to oblivion and now the text has been reduced to micron sized matter.

that threw me off for a second or two. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby knapplc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:59 am

bigh0rt wrote:
knapplc wrote:You should read up on string theory - it's a lot of fun.

But to get to your point, yeah - everything is made of nothing. Your hand resting on your mouse... you feel that contact, right? But they're not touching. Matter never touches. Matter is made up of atoms, which as you point out is made up of 90% nothing. That other 10% is so tiny and moves around so fast that it looks solid, but it isn't. All you're doing is pressing the energy of the atoms of your hand up against the energy of the atoms of the mouse, and the collision of those two energy fields is what you feel as touch.

String theory was easily the most interesting thing I studied in college. I strongly recommend anyone who is even slightly interested as to what the hell it is to check it out. It made my Senior Math Seminar a blast.

I caught one of Brian Greene's lectures at Stanford when I was living out in the Bay Area. I have The Elegant Universe. Good read. Haven't read his latest book, though.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:33 am

Simulacrum wrote:Personally I'm far more interested in exactly what is contained inside of dark matter. Dark Matter is a substance that occupies 90% of our universe, but we can't even see the form of it with our inferior human eyes and crappy technology!

I'm going to sound like a fruit loop here but I'll just say it anyway. My secret theory is that our universe is actually the inside of an atom, just one tiny part of god knows what else. Doesn't it sound like it would make sense? An atom is almost entirely vacant space, with only tiny pieces of matter such as the nucleus floating around inside of it.

Have any of you guys seen "What the BLEEP"? Super powered microscopes are now capable of taking photographs of the nucleus of an atom- and proving that it is in multiple places at the same time. 8-o I can't really even get my mind around that. Apparently matter is only a "possibility". X-I

i dont think that's fruit loop at all...i've ponderedthe same thing
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:Personally I'm far more interested in exactly what is contained inside of dark matter. Dark Matter is a substance that occupies 90% of our universe, but we can't even see the form of it with our inferior human eyes and crappy technology!

I'm going to sound like a fruit loop here but I'll just say it anyway. My secret theory is that our universe is actually the inside of an atom, just one tiny part of god knows what else. Doesn't it sound like it would make sense? An atom is almost entirely vacant space, with only tiny pieces of matter such as the nucleus floating around inside of it.

Have any of you guys seen "What the BLEEP"? Super powered microscopes are now capable of taking photographs of the nucleus of an atom- and proving that it is in multiple places at the same time. 8-o I can't really even get my mind around that. Apparently matter is only a "possibility". X-I

Did you take that from the ending scene of Men in Black? ;-7 :-b

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:05 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Eh. MiB pretty much took that idea from the public consciousness anyway. It's not a new concept.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:35 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Yes. Will Smith seems to steal all of my best theoretical physics postulations. :-C

Anyway, I'll tell you what led me to that idea. I don't remember exactly where I was, but I saw a cactus or a tiny plant that was clinging to life in a most dramatic way- the roots stuck down through metal, or growing out of the sidewalk, or on a small pile of dirt on a rock somewhere. Basically, this plant impressed me by it's sheer tenacity and will to live. And I realized that I had finally discovered one absolute TRUTH, one thing that I can see with my eyes and know with my brain that will always be true- living things want to continue living and will struggle to survive until they die. (with perhaps the exception of some goth human beings). I can question the nature of God and the laws of the universe for centuries and never, EVER find an absolute truth like that.

And that led me to think that maybe that's all there is. Maybe everything is the way it is simply because a living thing needs or needed it that way to survive at one time.
Simulacrum
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Chief Pixel PusherEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Yes. Will Smith seems to steal all of my best theoretical physics postulations. :-C

Anyway, I'll tell you what led me to that idea. I don't remember exactly where I was, but I saw a cactus or a tiny plant that was clinging to life in a most dramatic way- the roots stuck down through metal, or growing out of the sidewalk, or on a small pile of dirt on a rock somewhere. Basically, this plant impressed me by it's sheer tenacity and will to live. And I realized that I had finally discovered one absolute TRUTH, one thing that I can see with my eyes and know with my brain that will always be true- living things want to continue living and will struggle to survive until they die. (with perhaps the exception of some goth human beings). I can question the nature of God and the laws of the universe for centuries and never, EVER find an absolute truth like that.

And that led me to think that maybe that's all there is. Maybe everything is the way it is simply because a living thing needs or needed it that way to survive at one time.

Does Jack Handy know you're stealing his concept? That's a very Deep Thought, Sim. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk