Scientist trying to end the world? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Scientist trying to end the world?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Scientist trying to end the world?

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:38 pm

I've been reading a lot of science fiction from Baen Books these days (they have a great website with a large selection their books free in e-format if anyone is interested - kinda works out like a drug-dealer's "first hit is free, kid" type arrangement) and one of the series I have read recently was The Looking Glass Series by John Ringo and Travis Taylor and if you are into science fiction in general and all this particle hullaballoo as well I highly recommend it ;-D

Baen books is at http://www.baen.com and you click on the Free Library link at the top if you want to have a free hit of the sci-fi equivalent of crack...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:06 pm

One bad connection, and this thing is the world's biggest paperweight until it's ready to run again, sometime next Spring. Isn't that a little too fragile, considering the cost of this thing? 8-o 8-o 8-o

GENEVA - A bad electrical connection likely caused the malfunction that sidelined the world's largest atom smasher days after it was launched with great fanfare, a senior scientist said Monday.

The fault was probably a poor soldering job on one of the particle collider's 10,000 connections, said Lyn Evans, project leader of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, the European Nuclear Research Organization.

Only one fault in 10,000 isn't bad, "but it cost dearly," Evans said. It will take at least two months for the repair, meaning the collider cannot be restarted until spring, after its mandatory shutdown due to high electricity costs during the winter.

Evans said he still hasn't been able to examine the damage because the collider is too cold to be opened. The machine operates at extremely cold temperatures to take advantage of superconductivity — the ability of some metals to conduct electricity without any resistance near absolute zero degrees.

Linkorama
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:01 pm

That's a workmanship issue, not fragility. The time delay involved is for the warming up and subsequent cooling back to operating temperature. It's unfortunate, yes, to have such time lost for what is a relatively simple fix. Hey, it will just delay the black hole that destroys Earth a few months, that's all. ;-7

And it sounds like it would be shut down either way over winter
meaning the collider cannot be restarted until spring, after its mandatory shutdown due to high electricity costs during the winter.

So, it's a setback. Costly and unneccessary, yep. Although... if there's one thing I've learned from science fiction (ever see the movie Contact?), what are they doing with the other undisclosed collider? "first rule of government spending... why have one if you can have two at twice the cost?"

I've been following the news on the LHC with passive interest, I guess that interest can go on hold until spring.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:16 am

It's back in the news... this time, the LARGE HADRON COLLIDER has accomplished the following feat: it made two things run into each other.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/science/03/30/large.hadron.collider/index.html

Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider managed to make two proton beams collide at high energy Tuesday, marking a "new territory" in physics, according to CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research.

Yeah, making new territory. My neighbor's dog does that.

The collider has been dogged by problems. It made headlines late last year when a bird apparently dropped a "bit of baguette" into the accelerator, making the machine shut down.

$10 billion dollars, and they don't even have it screened in?

Sutton compared the experiments to Christopher Columbus sailing for the New World in 1492, when he knew what he was looking for but didn't know what he might find.

couldn't the same be said of a Mexican brothel?

I'm sure some geek somewhere is wetting his pants over this, but if this is supposed to be exciting, I'm missing the point. At least one person who commented took the whole thing in stride:

evilchicken7 10 billion dollars for a giant faulty machine that only a nerd would love? Someone forward this to my wife next time she complains that I'm wasting money on WoW gold.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am

Yeah, but think how much more tail these guys are scoring than the guys who work all of the other particle accelerators around the world. I'll bet they have panties thrown at them like rock stars.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk