Just got my dream job!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Just got my dream job!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby bagobonez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:53 am

Wow, just found this old thread! Well I've been riding solo since January of this year. Man this job got so much more enjoyable once I wasn't under a trainer's thumb! I can drive wherever I want, do whatever I want, eat wherever I want. If I feel like relaxing I can do that, if I feel like looking for burglars or something I can do that. However, I've learned that I really don't care for the majority of the officers I work with. 95% are lazy and hypocritical, always trying to dodge work or push their work off on you. Additionally, the top brass in my department are also hypocrites and will hang their officers out to dry in a second in order to save face with the media. Then when they screw up, somehow it all just goes away... funny, that.

The most interesting thing I think is how jaded I've become in a short amount of time. Initially, I had compassion for victims of family violence. But after you've answered the same exact call with the same exact story 500 times, you kind of stop caring. And here's the reason why... 9 times out of 10, the dude has beaten his woman before, and she went back to him. That just kind of irritates me because if she just had the common sense enough to leave, she wouldn't get hit again, and we wouldn't have to get involved again. That's not to say I don't take him to jail, I definitely still do that, but man the whole situation could just be avoided if some of these people had a little common sense. Drunks also irritate me. You'd be surprised how many people on the road are drunk in the wee hours of the morning. The other day someone got in a 1 vehicle accident on the freeway. He got out to check his car out, and a drunk came by and just plastered the guy. His head was caved in, part of his head was still stuck in the drunk's windshield. His leg was broken with the femur sticking out, and the rest of his leg wrapped back behind his torso. I've also seen a suicide where a guy shotgunned himself in the face. Pretty sick stuff.

But I was glad to find this old thread, and I remember how excited I was when I was told I got the job. Kind of re-motivates me all over again. By the way, is it me, or did 1/2 the people in the cafe disappear?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby woodson_28 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Good read, and congrats on landing your dream job. I'm still trying to get mine (3yrs removed from graduating College). Anyway, I had a question, and figured I'd ask you, since you have about 2 yrs of police work. I have a Chemistry degree, and my dream job is working forensics (either in a Crime Lab, or as a Detective out on the streets). I've made 3 attempts so far, but no luck (mostly due to the economy).

What is the best way to land a job in a Crime Lab, or even as a Detective?

I figure to land a detective job, I need to just apply for a regular office job, and then put in my time and in a few yrs I may advance. Are there better ways for a Crime Lab job? I've been debating going back to school for a major in Forensics, or some time of Criminal Justice degree. I don't know if that would help any more than just regular experience though. Thoughts?
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 pm

woodson_28 wrote:Good read, and congrats on landing your dream job. I'm still trying to get mine (3yrs removed from graduating College). Anyway, I had a question, and figured I'd ask you, since you have about 2 yrs of police work. I have a Chemistry degree, and my dream job is working forensics (either in a Crime Lab, or as a Detective out on the streets). I've made 3 attempts so far, but no luck (mostly due to the economy).

I figure to land a detective job, I need to just apply for a regular office job, and then put in my time and in a few yrs I may advance. Are there better ways for a Crime Lab job? I've been debating going back to school for a major in Forensics, or some time of Criminal Justice degree. I don't know if that would help any more than just regular experience though. Thoughts?

Forget all of that. Head to Hollywood, take some acting classes, and try to get on Season 5.

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bagobonez » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:15 pm

woodson_28 wrote:Good read, and congrats on landing your dream job. I'm still trying to get mine (3yrs removed from graduating College). Anyway, I had a question, and figured I'd ask you, since you have about 2 yrs of police work. I have a Chemistry degree, and my dream job is working forensics (either in a Crime Lab, or as a Detective out on the streets). I've made 3 attempts so far, but no luck (mostly due to the economy).

I'm not entirely sure because I'm just a lowly patrol cop, and a rookie at that, but if you want to do CSI type stuff I would definitely go back to school and get more classes under your belt that specialize in that field. I have a friend that did that, I think TV inspired him, but he found it to be much more drab and tedious than he expected and has since started looking for other work. If you want to be a detective you have to become a police officer first and work your way up.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 pm

bagobonez wrote:

I'm not entirely sure because I'm just a lowly patrol cop, and a rookie at that, but if you want to do CSI type stuff I would definitely go back to school and get more classes under your belt that specialize in that field. I have a friend that did that, I think TV inspired him, but he found it to be much more drab and tedious than he expected and has since started looking for other work. If you want to be a detective you have to become a police officer first and work your way up.

Yeah this is the way I understand it to be, the detective part anyway. I don't think an office job is the route to becoming a detective, you have to become a police officer first, you need to have that experience. I have a friend whose husband just made detective, I'm pretty sure he's been a police officer for less than 10 years, and I'm pretty sure that's a relatively short time frame to make detective in. It usually takes longer than that from what I understand. If you watch any of the docu-crime shows on TV you'll notice that they often mention how long the detectives have been on the force, it's often something like "so and so has been in homicide 7 years, after serving 15 years metro" or something like that.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:05 am

i have a friend who is CSI here in Houston. all she does is test blood and semen all day. like already said..kind of tedious

TV always makes these things look better than they are
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby knapplc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 am

I also have a friend who does CSI down in Arizona. It's a pretty grim job, especially in a high-crime area. She sees some really bad things, like trouble-sleeping-at-night things, sometimes.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:08 pm

knapplc wrote:I also have a friend who does CSI down in Arizona. It's a pretty grim job, especially in a high-crime area. She sees some really bad things, like trouble-sleeping-at-night things, sometimes.

There's an old saying, that a police officer sees more in his lifetime than any human being was ever meant to.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby bagobonez » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:04 am

stomperrob wrote:
knapplc wrote:I also have a friend who does CSI down in Arizona. It's a pretty grim job, especially in a high-crime area. She sees some really bad things, like trouble-sleeping-at-night things, sometimes.

There's an old saying, that a police officer sees more in his lifetime than any human being was ever meant to.

Yep I've already seen more things in just a year and a half than any human being is meant to. But lucky for me, it hasn't given me nightmares or PTSD or anything. The first dead body I saw kinda freaked me out a little, not that I showed it to anyone, but I just thought about it alot that day and the next day. This girl that was 5 months pregnant hung herself in the closet. And just the look on her face was something that no Hollywood make-up artist could ever reproduce. It looks completely different than the movies, and I can't explain why, it just does. There's something about a human body that looks different when it's dead, especially the face and especially the eyes. There's a light in their eyes that just isn't there when they're dead.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:57 pm

uuhhhhhhhhhh

i appreciate yoru candor...but you've just freaked me out. thanks for not allowing me to sleep tonight

so....jamaal charles is awesome right :-b
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to General Talk