Just got my dream job!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Just got my dream job!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby Kilroy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:18 am

Madison wrote:
bagobonez wrote:On my 7th attempt I finally got through.


I figured someone would poke fun at you for this part. I won't though, quoting it is enough I think. :-b

Anyway, congrats on the new gig! ;-D


The average is probably worse......look who's running the country fer jeebus' sake. :-B

All kidding aside, congratulations man. To Protect and Serve is a noble creed. ;-D

There's this weird older guy that lurks around here from time to time who used to be 5-0, but his name escapes me right now. All I can remember is that his favorite College Football Team sucks.

:-D

Bump for Bago!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Gratz! ;-D Just be sure to give people a break every so often.
Image
Image
Cowboys 4 life
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9515
(Past Year: 79)
Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:05 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Gratz! ;-D Just be sure to give people a break every so often.


Will do. In fact I'll probably NEVER hand out a speeding ticket because I don't believe speeding in and of itself is dangerous. Speeding combined with not paying attention is, but someone who's speeding but is on full alert and is constantly aware of their surroundings is a much safer driver than someone who's going 5 mph under the speed limit and is talking on their cell phone and has no idea other cars are even on the road. So if I do pull someone over for speeding I'll probably just hand out a warning unless they give me major attitude or have other violations. Then again, the city I just moved to is big enough that we'll probably have bigger fish to fry than speeding. :-b
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:26 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Gratz! ;-D Just be sure to give people a break every so often.


Will do. In fact I'll probably NEVER hand out a speeding ticket because I don't believe speeding in and of itself is dangerous. Speeding combined with not paying attention is, but someone who's speeding but is on full alert and is constantly aware of their surroundings is a much safer driver than someone who's going 5 mph under the speed limit and is talking on their cell phone and has no idea other cars are even on the road. So if I do pull someone over for speeding I'll probably just hand out a warning unless they give me major attitude or have other violations. Then again, the city I just moved to is big enough that we'll probably have bigger fish to fry than speeding. :-b

It will be fun to revisit this in about three years and see how that personal policy is working out. In my town they don't have a "quota" system per se, but the cops are required to earn so many "points" every month. At the end of the month they're given a tally sheet that has their points listed, and if they're below a certain number of points you get some kind of penalty or something. Traffic tickets, working accidents, abandoned car reports, etc. all earn them points. So they can claim there is no true quota, but it amounts to the same, and the cops are almost required to give out tickets. Warnings don't earn them points, by the way.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Kilroy wrote:
All kidding aside, congratulations man. To Protect and Serve is a noble creed. ;-D

There's this weird older guy that lurks around here from time to time who used to be 5-0, but his name escapes me right now. All I can remember is that his favorite College Football Team sucks.

:-D

Bump for Bago!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D


Hey - I resemble that!

But good luck in your career Bago, go blue and GO Blue! ;-) :-b
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby Metroid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:13 pm

My dream job would probably come from Scarlett Johanson. O:-)
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby Tyeattolah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:17 pm

That is a fantastic profession, they defintely do not get the credit they deserve. Enjoy "Police Academy!" ;-D
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2755
Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: DCC's Rock!

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby Venom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Metroid wrote:My dream job would probably come from Scarlett Johanson. O:-)


:-b ;-D
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 1845
(Past Year: 47)
Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cleveland, OH-IO

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:18 am

knapplc wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Gratz! ;-D Just be sure to give people a break every so often.


Will do. In fact I'll probably NEVER hand out a speeding ticket because I don't believe speeding in and of itself is dangerous. Speeding combined with not paying attention is, but someone who's speeding but is on full alert and is constantly aware of their surroundings is a much safer driver than someone who's going 5 mph under the speed limit and is talking on their cell phone and has no idea other cars are even on the road. So if I do pull someone over for speeding I'll probably just hand out a warning unless they give me major attitude or have other violations. Then again, the city I just moved to is big enough that we'll probably have bigger fish to fry than speeding. :-b

It will be fun to revisit this in about three years and see how that personal policy is working out. In my town they don't have a "quota" system per se, but the cops are required to earn so many "points" every month. At the end of the month they're given a tally sheet that has their points listed, and if they're below a certain number of points you get some kind of penalty or something. Traffic tickets, working accidents, abandoned car reports, etc. all earn them points. So they can claim there is no true quota, but it amounts to the same, and the cops are almost required to give out tickets. Warnings don't earn them points, by the way.


That could be that particular department's policy but it may not apply to every department. Guess I will find out in due time. I've heard quotas are actually illegal and police departments have to be very careful in how they instruct their officers so they don't wind up in court over it. Of course what you said isn't necessarily a quota either.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Re: Just got my dream job!!!

Postby bagobonez » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Week 1 down, 32 weeks to go. The first day was quite a shock, I didn't know it was going to be boot camp. This police academy is para-military meaning they do alot of things like the military does but not exactly everything. They definitely broke us down on Day 1 and let us know who was in charge. To be honest I wanted to quit after the first day because it was all so overwhelming. We were standing in formation at "attention" (where you stand straight up, hands to your side and don't move) and a wasp buzzed past a guy's face and out of reaction he jerked away from it. And he got in trouble. Right away I was thinking... oh god... this is impossible. Went ahead and went back for Day 2 and things got a little better for me mentally just because I knew a little more about what to expect. I knew things would be tough, I knew I'd be yelled at by the instructors, I know I'd have to say "sir, yes sir" and "ma'am, yes ma'am" any time a question was asked. So while the day was the same, I think I handled it a little better. Today was by far the worst. They had what's called "Break down" where they are basically going to push us all to the limit. The idea is they want those that don't have the heart to stick it out to go ahead and quit now. So they hit us hard on the PT until we all basically felt like dying.

But I'm still excited about this opportunity and while yes, it's going to be really tough, I'm going to stick it out. From the time I wake up in the morning to the time I get home at night it's 12 to 13 hours so I have pretty much ZERO time for myself. Because on top of 12-13 hour work days, we are given homework and PT assignments that must be completed. So yeah I was excited about the new Madden coming out but now I pretty much have to make it an afterthought because I won't have time to play it for about 8 months. BUt that's the way it is, and I've accepted it. Wish me luck guys, I'll try to keep you updated as I have the time to. :-b
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:16 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact