Sold! Why your league should be an auction league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Sold! Why your league should be an auction league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sold! Why your league should be an auction league

Postby The Lung » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:22 pm

From: http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2K8_auctionsbetter

I used to be like you.

When I went to the bookstore, I just asked the checkout person to pick a good book for me, and I read that. When I went to a Chinese restaurant, I simply counted how many spots from the left I was at my table, and I ordered that numbered dish off the menu. When I went to the Cineplex, I saw the film with the title that came first in alphabetical order.

And when I played fantasy football, I did it in a standard draft format.

In other words, if I was randomly assigned the seventh pick in the draft, I wasn't going to get the best player in fantasy football, no matter how hard I wished for him. "Oh well," I used to think. "It's probably all for the best. Having too much control can be bad for you."

Then I started playing in auction leagues.

Hey, why should you have to stare longingly at LaDainian Tomlinson, wishing you could get a crack at him but knowing there's no chance? Why should you be forced to pick from among a group of mediocre running backs simply because your bad luck landed you at the end of the first round? Why should you have your fantasy football draft strategy essentially mapped out for you by a pre-draft roll of the dice? Snake drafts are fascist. Auctions are democratic.

In an auction, you're in control. You have a budget, sure, but it's up to you how the money gets spent, therefore it's up to you what positions you accentuate and ignore, it's up to you whether you load up on stars or play it safe, and it's up to you whether you grab a ton of players early or wait for the bargain bin. Auction leagues are for anyone who ever looked at his or her draft position and thought, "I'm completely screwed before my first pick is even made." Auction leagues are for you.

continued...
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sold! Why your league should be an auction league

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 am

My next league will be an auction league FOR SURE! If only someone would take me ;-)

I'll have to read that link in the morning when I wake up, but I'm sure that I'll agree already ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:32 am

I'm finishing up an auction for an initial keeper league. This will be the 2nd league I've been in that started it's initial draft with an auction. I prefer regular drafts, but auctions can be fun. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:54 pm

i am in an auction 20 team baseball league that started this year....and it was an awesome 10 hr experience :-b

im hoping football auctions take less time. its really fun, but i wouldnt want every one of my leagues to be auction. i still enjoy the snake...two completely different beasts...so its nice to do both
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Lung » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 pm

Here are two good recent articles from KFFL on Auction Leagues:

Intro to fantasy football auction leagues

Intro to fantasy football auction leagues
May 19, 2009

By James Eberspacher
Edited by KFFL Staff

Are you looking to spice up your fantasy life? Don't get too excited, it's not what you think. We're talking about spicing up your fantasy football life. If you've been in a straight draft style - you know, the kind where you draft a player, then wait 20 minutes to draft another - you might be looking for a new challenge. If you are, then an auction league might be just what you need.

What the heck is an auction league?

Auction leagues are simply a different way of drafting players - a tweak on the normal format used to determine the regular-season rosters for your league. Most leagues start out with a serpentine draft style, which plays out like the draft in the National Football League, but at the end of the round, the final pick has the first pick in the upcoming round. Auctions differ in the fact that teams can draft players at any time until they draft their entire squad.

continued...

Auction league strategy

Auction league strategy
May 21, 2009

By Joel Haugen
Edited by KFFL Staff

You know the type. You have those acquaintances that were born into privilege, and unless they royally screw something up, they are probably set for life. Then you know those others that have had to work for everything in life, but their hard work has paid off and they are now "sitting pretty." Here we enter the auction versus traditional draft argument.

When you join a league that uses a straight-draft process, owners can find themselves sitting pretty based solely on their draft position. These owners can pick up a fantasy magazine on the drive to the draft, and if they draft early, they can possibly move down their list en route to a solid fantasy season. The auction league requires a certain blue-collar mentality and a poker player's ability to read others' maneuvers. With this in mind, auction leagues require much more legwork and comprehensive thinking prior to the draft.

In auction drafts, don't be afraid to be the guy who brings in binders, laptops or other fantasy paraphernalia to the war room. The more prepared you are, the better. With that said, don't get too bogged down with that same group of tools. You could miss out on the fish that got away.

Now it is time for the overused "Top 10" list along with a multitude of poker analogies. The numbers quoted are based on a $200 cap and a typical fantasy roster (one quarterback, two running backs, three wide receivers, one tight end, one place kicker, one defensive team and one combo running back/wide receiver).

Know the rules

The first and one of the most important rules going in is to know your league. With the advent of custom scoring on multitudes of Web sites, you could see all sorts of bizarre rules for your league. You would be surprised as to the difference in player rankings when there is just a slight modification in scoring for yardage, touchdown or even receptions. For example, when your league puts a high emphasis on passing yards, your value of players like New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees may go up.

continued...
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Thu May 21, 2009 9:46 pm

When you join a league that uses a straight-draft process, owners can find themselves sitting pretty based solely on their draft position. These owners can pick up a fantasy magazine on the drive to the draft, and if they draft early, they can possibly move down their list en route to a solid fantasy season.

Well, good luck to those who try this route to a solid season. Most that take this route end up in the ditch. :-S
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:39 pm

spodog wrote:
When you join a league that uses a straight-draft process, owners can find themselves sitting pretty based solely on their draft position. These owners can pick up a fantasy magazine on the drive to the draft, and if they draft early, they can possibly move down their list en route to a solid fantasy season.

Well, good luck to those who try this route to a solid season. Most that take this route end up in the ditch. :-S

Very true... horrible statement from the writer.

I have managed to assemble my hopefully permanent leagues as 3 dynasties, 1 keeper with IDP, 1 straight redraft and am debating about staying in an auction redraft or going over to a new austion keeper league. I have never done an auction keeper so an leaning that way. I enjoy any format as long as it is a well run league with good owners.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Lung » Thu May 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Obviously guys who would try that in Cafe leagues would get killed. But for the generic target audience (the guys who play in ESPN free public leagues) it's pretty much true that they could pick up a fantasy magazine and move down the list en route to a solid fantasy season.

Auction leagues help to prevent that. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

Postby Cards24 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:54 am

Once you switch to auction you never go back! ;-D At first players were hesitant, but since then we never looked back. We have been auctioning for 5 years now and the stories that come out of draft day are countless. Modern technology is making it easier and easier every year (demand is getting higher) to do auction online, however to do it right and get the full effect you have to do it in person.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby swyck » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:40 am

Cards24 wrote:Once you switch to auction you never go back! ;-D At first players were hesitant, but since then we never looked back. We have been auctioning for 5 years now and the stories that come out of draft day are countless. Modern technology is making it easier and easier every year (demand is getting higher) to do auction online, however to do it right and get the full effect you have to do it in person.

I did a baseball auction once and loved it.

However the management difference between an auction and a straight draft is huge! We used an online bulletin board and while it went well it was a lot of work. We had to manually track how much each player had left and how much they could bid. People had two 20$ bids going when they only had $30 left, or they'd forget they had to save a minimum $1 for each roster slot.

Compare that to just going to Yahoo and having them run a straight draft and there's no question that auction drafting is more work. They're also slow drafts if done using a board, taking weeks or longer to complete. Do any sites offer auctions now? If so how long do they take? I'm sure offline drafts done in one day are more fun, but harder to get going.
swyck
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner