Sold! Why your league should be an auction league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Sold! Why your league should be an auction league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Sold! Why your league should be an auction league

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 am

swyck wrote:
Cards24 wrote:Once you switch to auction you never go back! ;-D At first players were hesitant, but since then we never looked back. We have been auctioning for 5 years now and the stories that come out of draft day are countless. Modern technology is making it easier and easier every year (demand is getting higher) to do auction online, however to do it right and get the full effect you have to do it in person.

I did a baseball auction once and loved it.

However the management difference between an auction and a straight draft is huge! We used an online bulletin board and while it went well it was a lot of work. We had to manually track how much each player had left and how much they could bid. People had two 20$ bids going when they only had $30 left, or they'd forget they had to save a minimum $1 for each roster slot.

Compare that to just going to Yahoo and having them run a straight draft and there's no question that auction drafting is more work. They're also slow drafts if done using a board, taking weeks or longer to complete. Do any sites offer auctions now? If so how long do they take? I'm sure offline drafts done in one day are more fun, but harder to get going.

myfantasyleague.com is great for auctions...i'm not sure if CBS supports it or not
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sold! Why your league should be an auction league

Postby Cards24 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:myfantasyleague.com is great for auctions...i'm not sure if CBS supports it or not

I noticed this year CBS has added a online auction draft feature but its only on private leagues, not the free open leagues. Your league has to buy the commisioner package. However in order to get the full effect of auction you have to do it in person. A lot of poker strategy takes place ;-)
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner