50 Things Everyone Should Know - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

50 Things Everyone Should Know

Moderator: Football Moderators

50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:01 pm

1. Build a Fire – Fire produces heat and light, two basic necessities for living. At some point in your life this knowledge may be vital.

2. Operate a Computer – Fundamental computer knowledge is essential these days. Please, help those in need.

3. Use Google Effectively – Google knows everything. If you’re having trouble finding something with Google, it’s you that needs help.

4. Perform CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver – Someday it may be your wife, husband, son or daughter that needs help.

5. Drive a Manual Transmission Vehicle – There will come a time when you’ll be stuck without this knowledge.

6. Do Basic Cooking – If you can’t cook your own steak and eggs, you probably aren’t going to make it.

7. Tell a Story that Captivates People’s Attention – If you can’t captivate their attention, you should probably just save your breath.

8. Win or Avoid a Fistfight – Either way, you win.

9. Deliver Bad News – Somebody has got to do it. Unfortunately, someday that person will be you.

10. Change a Tire – Because tires have air in them, and things with air in them eventually pop.

11. Handle a Job Interview – I promise, sweating yourself into a nervous panic won’t land you the job.

12. Manage Time – Not doing so is called wasting time, which is okay sometimes, but not all the time.

13. Speed Read – Sometimes you just need the basic gist, and you needed it 5 minutes ago.

14. Remember Names – Do you like when someone tries to get your attention by screaming “hey you”?

15. Relocate Living Spaces – Relocating is always a little tougher than you originally imagined.

16. Travel Light – Bring only the necessities. It’s the cheaper, easier, smarter thing to do.

17. Handle the Police – Because jail isn’t fun… and neither is Bubba.

18. Give Driving Directions – Nobody likes driving around in circles. Get this one right the first time.

19. Perform Basic First Aid – You don’t have to be a doctor, or genius, to properly dress a wound.

20. Swim – 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water. Learning to swim might be a good idea.

21. Parallel Park – Parallel parking is a requirement on most standard driver’s license driving tests, yet so many people have no clue how to do it. How could this be?

22. Recognize Personal Alcohol Limits – Otherwise you may wind up like this charming fellow.

23. Select Good Produce – Rotten fruits and vegetables can be an evil tease and an awful surprise.

24. Handle a Hammer, Axe or Handsaw – Carpenters are not the only ones who need tools. Everyone should have a basic understanding of basic hand tools.

25. Make a Simple Budget – Being in debt is not fun. A simple budget is the key.

26. Speak at Least Two Common Languages – Only about 25% of the world’s population speaks English. It would be nice if you could communicate with at least some of the remaining 75%.

27. Do Push-Ups and Sit-Ups Properly – Improper push-ups and sit-ups do nothing but hurt your body and waste your time.

28. Give a Compliment – It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give someone, and it’s free.

29. Negotiate – The better deal is only a question or two away.

30. Listen Carefully to Others – The more you listen and the less you talk, the more you will learn and the less you will miss.

31. Recite Basic Geography – If you don’t know where anything is outside of your own little bubble, most people will assume (and they are probably correct) that you don’t know too much at all.

32. Paint a Room – The true cost of painting is 90% labor. For simple painting jobs it makes no sense to pay someone 9 times what it would cost you to do it yourself.

33. Make a Short, Informative Public Speech – At the next company meeting if your boss asks you to explain what you’ve been working on over the last month, a short, clear, informative response is surely your best bet. “Duhhh…” will not cut it.

34. Smile for the Camera – People that absolutely refuse to smile for the camera suck!

35. Flirt Without Looking Ridiculous – There is a fine line between successful flirting and utter disaster. If you try too hard, you lose. If you don’t try hard enough, you lose.

36. Take Useful Notes – Because useless notes are useless, and not taking notes is a recipe for failure.

37. Be a Respectful House Guest – Otherwise you will be staying in a lot of hotels over the years.

38. Make a Good First Impression – Aristotle once said, “well begun is half done.”

39. Navigate with a Map and Compass – What happens when the GPS craps out and you’re in the middle of nowhere?

40. Sew a Button onto Clothing – It sure is cheaper than buying a new shirt.

41. Hook Up a Basic Home Theater System – This isn’t rocket science. Paying someone to do this shows sheer laziness.

42. Type – Learning to type could save you days worth of time over the course of your lifetime.

43. Protect Personal Identity Information – Personal identity theft is not fun unless you are the thief. Don’t be careless.

44. Implement Basic Computer Security Best Practices – You don’t have to be a computer science major to understand the fundamentals of creating complex passwords and using firewalls. Doing so will surely save you a lot of grief someday.

45. Detect a Lie – People will lie to you. It’s a sad fact of life.

46. End a Date Politely Without Making Promises – There is no excuse for making promises you do not intend to keep. There is also no reason why you should have to make a decision on the spot about someone you hardly know.

47. Remove a Stain – Once again, it’s far cheaper than buying a new one.

48. Keep a Clean House – A clean house is the foundation for a clean, organized lifestyle.

49. Hold a Baby – Trust me, injuring a baby is not what you want to do.

50. Jump Start a Car – It sure beats walking or paying for a tow truck.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm

I can safely say I know 44 of the 50 things. I can't speed read, can't remember names to save my life, only speak English, was never much of a flirt, and have never tried to sew anything or remove a stain.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby treat24 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:12 pm

100%


nice list, I have a hard time imagining that there are many people who can't do most of these. Some you may not do great, others you may be an expert at but knowing how to do most of these things just seems elementary.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:43 pm

I can do 48 of the 50 things there. Never bothered to sew anything (let alone sew a button) and I haven't gone sailing (don't use a compass).
Image
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 924
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oh, you didn't know?

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:11 pm

Some of these things are things people probably know, but doing it well or even adequately is the real trick. :-b

For instance, I know how to drive stick. Problem is, I've only got a total of 5 minutes experience with it and I can guarantee I will stall the car in inopportune times. Like at an intersection, or something. Incorrectly applying CPR can do more harm than good too sometimes, like breaking ribs or forgetting to move the tongue.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5971
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:44 pm

5. Drive a Manual Transmission Vehicle – There will come a time when you’ll be stuck without this knowledge.

I CAN, but have little practice. I could get it started and in gear with less than two stalls. After that point I should be fine as long as there isn't a trailer or anything involved. :-b

13. Speed Read – Sometimes you just need the basic gist, and you needed it 5 minutes ago.

I can summarize a document VERY fast and while I can't techically speed read (a very, very small percentage of the world really can), I can read through a document very fast and be able to convey the message properly.

22. Recognize Personal Alcohol Limits – Otherwise you may wind up like this charming fellow.

If I have never had alcohol, can I say yes to this? :-D I can manage my personal alcoholic limits, so I say yes. :-b

26. Speak at Least Two Common Languages – Only about 25% of the world’s population speaks English. It would be nice if you could communicate with at least some of the remaining 75%.

25% is a very large number. :-b

I can speak very little Spanish, but other than that, no. It is something I wish I was better at though.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:47 pm

I would add to this list being able to handle a vehicle with a trailer as well as being able to park and back said vehicle. ;-D

Someday (like a manual transmission) somebody will toss you some keys and ask you to pull their trailer around into a tight spot and nobody wants to look stupid. :-b
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:53 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I would add to this list being able to handle a vehicle with a trailer as well as being able to park and back said vehicle. ;-D

Someday (like a manual transmission) somebody will toss you some keys and ask you to pull their trailer around into a tight spot and nobody wants to look stupid. :-b


My dad's a truck driver and I now have a job where I have approximately 20 drivers under me (yet I've never operated a tractor/trailer). I feel for those first timers as they struggle trying to get a 48'-52- trailer into a dock.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:4. Perform CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver – Someday it may be your wife, husband, son or daughter that needs help.

5. Drive a Manual Transmission Vehicle – There will come a time when you’ll be stuck without this knowledge.

14. Remember Names – Do you like when someone tries to get your attention by screaming “hey you”?

22. Recognize Personal Alcohol Limits – Otherwise you may wind up like this charming fellow.

26. Speak at Least Two Common Languages – Only about 25% of the world’s population speaks English. It would be nice if you could communicate with at least some of the remaining 75%.

34. Smile for the Camera – People that absolutely refuse to smile for the camera suck!


4, 5, and 26 i cant do at all

14...takes me awhile with new people

22. i usually recognize that i'm going over my limit and do it anyway, does that count :-b

34. i usually just like to give a blank stare
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Re: 50 Things Everyone Should Know

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:52 am

The only two things on there that I really fail at are remembering names and protecting personal information. I don't do any of the things that the experts suggest people do to protect their identity. And although I'm sure I don't do it the "right" way, I can sew a button on well enough that it stays in place and still works. The things I really wish I were better at are construction/home improvement stuff, and working on my car. I can do basic maintenance and home improvements, but I'd like to be able to do more. I wish I were more like my grandfather, who I'm certain never paid a mechanic, and who, in the 1930s, built the house that my grandma still lives in with just a hand saw, hammer, and level.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator


Posts: 749
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lkybxggjxzdw and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:44 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact