Best Order - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Best Order

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Order

Postby CHCbaseball07 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:46 pm

What do you guys think is generally the best draft order in terms of position, last year was my first and had no idea when to draft a defense or a kicker. I lucked out with the tom brady pick 1st round and ended up in third, but still as far as drafting goes, have no idea what I'm doing.
CHCbaseball07
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best Order

Postby luckycow515 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:52 pm

In tearms of order, I'd need to know your leagues scoring and number of starters. And for the defenses and kickers, wait until you fill out your primary roster ( RB WR QB) and then take a defense. Or if you fell you have enough solid players and a top D is out there, go ahead and take it.
luckycow515
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CHCbaseball07 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Roster Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, DEF, DB, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

its H2H scoring in a yahoo league
CHCbaseball07
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckycow515 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:58 pm

I'd go RB RB QB WR
luckycow515
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:51 pm

It all depends, but generally, you can not go into a draft with a pre-set "this is what I am going to draft in these rounds". You have to roll with the draft, the best is to come up with your cheatsheet. From there, you can determine which players are most valuable (read up on value based draft ;-D ), then look at who is available at you position and take that player. Obviously this is the simple answer, but as you get better with it, it will be easier to know who to draft when.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby mariners100 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:10 pm

I would go RB, RB, QB, WR but the last two can be switched depending on who is available.

I usually wait until the end for draft a DEF and K and I never draft more than one of each ( I see a lot of teams drafting 2 of each). You have to let it flow and see how things fall before and after you.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 pm

you have to let the draft come to you. Dont pick on position, pick on value, and in your league it looks like the value is on RB's, then QBs then WRs. But look for the talent dropoffs at each position. Defense should be towards the end(you can always play the matchups), and kicker in the last round.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:33 am

dream_017 wrote:It all depends, but generally, you can not go into a draft with a pre-set "this is what I am going to draft in these rounds". You have to roll with the draft, the best is to come up with your cheatsheet. From there, you can determine which players are most valuable (read up on value based draft ;-D ), then look at who is available at you position and take that player. Obviously this is the simple answer, but as you get better with it, it will be easier to know who to draft when.

LegendoftheFall wrote:you have to let the draft come to you. Dont pick on position, pick on value, and in your league it looks like the value is on RB's, then QBs then WRs. But look for the talent dropoffs at each position. Defense should be towards the end(you can always play the matchups), and kicker in the last round.

I agree with these guys. I never have a preset draft strategy like RB/RB/QB/WR or whatever else people have suggested. Every draft is different so you really need to be able to change your strategy to try and get the best value possible with every pick. There are a few things that I do though. I always draft a RB in the 1st. RB's are the toughest to find which is why they almost always go early and often. I never draft a QB early. QB's are easy to get later and/or off the WW...unlike RB's. Every time I draft a QB early (in the 1st 5 rounds or so), I feel as though I'm drafting from behind as far as RB's & WR's go. So I'll stock up on RB's & WR's through the 1st 5 rounds or so and then I'll pick a QB & TE when I think the value is good. My other "strategy" is regarding K's & D's. If I'm forced to draft them...I wait until the last 2 rounds. Same reason why I won't draft a QB early. K's & D's are VERY easy to get off the WW and don't warrant an earlier pick IMO. I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:50 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
dream_017 wrote:It all depends, but generally, you can not go into a draft with a pre-set "this is what I am going to draft in these rounds". You have to roll with the draft, the best is to come up with your cheatsheet. From there, you can determine which players are most valuable (read up on value based draft ;-D ), then look at who is available at you position and take that player. Obviously this is the simple answer, but as you get better with it, it will be easier to know who to draft when.

LegendoftheFall wrote:you have to let the draft come to you. Dont pick on position, pick on value, and in your league it looks like the value is on RB's, then QBs then WRs. But look for the talent dropoffs at each position. Defense should be towards the end(you can always play the matchups), and kicker in the last round.

I agree with these guys. I never have a preset draft strategy like RB/RB/QB/WR or whatever else people have suggested. Every draft is different so you really need to be able to change your strategy to try and get the best value possible with every pick. There are a few things that I do though. I always draft a RB in the 1st. RB's are the toughest to find which is why they almost always go early and often. I never draft a QB early. QB's are easy to get later and/or off the WW...unlike RB's. Every time I draft a QB early (in the 1st 5 rounds or so), I feel as though I'm drafting from behind as far as RB's & WR's go. So I'll stock up on RB's & WR's through the 1st 5 rounds or so and then I'll pick a QB & TE when I think the value is good. My other "strategy" is regarding K's & D's. If I'm forced to draft them...I wait until the last 2 rounds. Same reason why I won't draft a QB early. K's & D's are VERY easy to get off the WW and don't warrant an earlier pick IMO. I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

A simple ;-D should show my agreement as well :-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Don't do this:

K, K, K, K, DEF, QB, TE, K, K, WR, DEF, RB
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum