Favre Comeback? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre Comeback?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Favre Comeback?

Postby Popcynical » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:38 am

I laugh at all the fans wearing 50 and 85 jerseys holding signs that say fire TT. Ironic, eh?
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:26 am

Popcynical wrote:I laugh at all the fans wearing 50 and 85 jerseys holding signs that say fire TT. Ironic, eh?

my brother ordered an authentic Jets Favre Jersey to wear next season. Him and his friend are season ticket holders. I hope he can bring me to a game so I can just see fan reaction. I bet half the fans will be with him, the other half mad at him... at least to start the season.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 pm

treat24 wrote:
Popcynical wrote:I laugh at all the fans wearing 50 and 85 jerseys holding signs that say fire TT. Ironic, eh?

my brother ordered an authentic Jets Favre Jersey to wear next season. Him and his friend are season ticket holders. I hope he can bring me to a game so I can just see fan reaction. I bet half the fans will be with him, the other half mad at him... at least to start the season.

I wouldn't mess with drunken Sconnies. :-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Popcynical wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:Ugh, so tired of everyone saying they feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers...Why? He just got handed the starting QB position for a storied franchise that he did not earn. :-t

Obviously nobody feels sorry for him now...

I feel as sorry as I can for Mr. Rogers. He no longer has Favre shirttail to hide behind. He should have told the Pack that it would be best to bring Favre back, you know to win that Superbowl thingy, and BTW since I will be deferring my ascent to the throne you should sign me to a new contract. See, there is a 50-50 shot that Rogers isn't ready, able, or hardy enough to play QB. He is now about to be exposed. Good luck.

Rejoice dgan. Your team is a corp. They can take action to change the managaement team. My team is owned. We need an act of a God who obviously doesn't like us to change our fate.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:18 pm

moochman wrote: We need an act of a God who obviously doesn't like us to change our fate.

How do you do it? :-D
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:this whole thing is just plain weird. ESPN argues that the league is "win now" and yes, they got to within a game of the Super Bowl, but they didn't go to it, nor win it. So if that is the goal, the Pack won't be any worse off from that standard this year as they were last year. And if we are talking "win now," well the thing is next year, people will want "win now" and the year after that as well, so Aaron gives them a better chance at that as well. If he didn't play, he would have to bolt, and then they would REALLY be stuck.

And considering that the number one seed has a young QB the team that won the whole thing has a younger qb entering prime years, and both of them are from the same conference Favre didn't win in, well I think it makes sense to move him along to be perfectly honest. His last year was admittedly good, his previous two years were not, and one was truly awful with almost 40 turnovers. And then you have teams that could bounce back like the Eagles (were a punt return away from beating the Pack last year, showed life and could be good), Saints, Vikings, and I don't think its a cakewalk for them at all. If the goal is winning the whole thing, I think its an attainable goal but not a given. So you can not win with favre or rogers, but give rogers some battle testing, and have the team gel for next year.

You're kidding right? GB was an interception away from the Super Bowl last year, and they didn't lose any significant pieces in the off-season. You're saying they might as well go with Rodgers for the long-term because they probably wouldn't have won it all with either Favre or Rodgers this year anyways. But that's like saying PHI might as well go with Kolb because they probably won't win it all this year with McNabb. The fact is, McNabb gives PHI the best shot at winning it all this year. And Favre would have given GB the best shot at winning it all this year. Hence: "win-now". And it's not like GB didn't have any other long-term options. Brohm could have sat on the bench for a year or two and then it's him replacing Favre instead of Rodgers. So they wouldn't have been stuck at all... :-?

And who threw said interception? The last two playoff runs of the Packers were basically ended because the friendly neighborhood "gunslinger" coughed up a costly INT to lose the game.

The Eagles thing isn't a direct comparison, because McNabb is at a career crossroads, but isn't clearly nearing the end like favre.

I frankly don't have a dog in the fight, and I don't care. I agree that he gives them the "best shot" to win now, but the metric for judging this from GBs perspective is what is their REAL chance of winning this year? Dallas is certainly better, and the vikings are certainly better. You have a situation where the NFC East in theory could send three teams to the playoffs and Vikings could win the division WITH Favre. Last year is last year, but favre was not an asset the previous two years to that, and he is getting up there. Plus, with his motivation, who knows what you are getting this year? You have an improved conference (people forget the conferences split 50-50 last year) and the champion hailed from the NFC. I don't see it as a given that they are some lock for the playoffs to be honest. So (arbitrarily picking percentages here) if having favre improves their chances 10 percent at kidding to the bowl, but the odds are still against it, is it worth stunting future versions of the team?

At the end of the day I think they should have just traded Rodgers frankly, and kept Favre, rolled with brohm. I was being somewhat tongue in cheek with my post, with a little devil's advocate thrown in. Kind of like the old baseball owner who wouldn't give his superlative player a raise because they finished last and said "we don't need you, we can finish in last without you too" (or something like that.) Obviously, he gives them the best shot to "win now" but how likely is that REALLY (which was kind of my point). They were a very strong team last year. But they weren't stronger than the Giants, they lost twice to the Cowboys, they lost twice to Chicago who was awful (although I do forget how the HFA played out exactly, so that could have been a resting starters thing), and barely beat the Eagles.

Point being, how much does the presence of Favre contribute tot heir chances? what would their percent likeliness be with him versus without him given the status of the conference? And does that spike in liklihood justify negating the spike you would get through a year of seasoning with Rodgers? I really don't know. I don't think anyone knows, but its not a ridiculous position to take if you are the Packers. And like I said, I would have just traded rodgers at some point, because this problem was definitely something forseeable.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigBadBrawler » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:44 pm

eaglesrule wrote:And who threw said interception? The last two playoff runs of the Packers were basically ended because the friendly neighborhood "gunslinger" coughed up a costly INT to lose the game.

The Eagles thing isn't a direct comparison, because McNabb is at a career crossroads, but isn't clearly nearing the end like favre.

I frankly don't have a dog in the fight, and I don't care. I agree that he gives them the "best shot" to win now, but the metric for judging this from GBs perspective is what is their REAL chance of winning this year? Dallas is certainly better, and the vikings are certainly better. You have a situation where the NFC East in theory could send three teams to the playoffs and Vikings could win the division WITH Favre. Last year is last year, but favre was not an asset the previous two years to that, and he is getting up there. Plus, with his motivation, who knows what you are getting this year? You have an improved conference (people forget the conferences split 50-50 last year) and the champion hailed from the NFC. I don't see it as a given that they are some lock for the playoffs to be honest. So (arbitrarily picking percentages here) if having favre improves their chances 10 percent at kidding to the bowl, but the odds are still against it, is it worth stunting future versions of the team?

At the end of the day I think they should have just traded Rodgers frankly, and kept Favre, rolled with brohm. I was being somewhat tongue in cheek with my post, with a little devil's advocate thrown in. Kind of like the old baseball owner who wouldn't give his superlative player a raise because they finished last and said "we don't need you, we can finish in last without you too" (or something like that.) Obviously, he gives them the best shot to "win now" but how likely is that REALLY (which was kind of my point). They were a very strong team last year. But they weren't stronger than the Giants, they lost twice to the Cowboys, they lost twice to Chicago who was awful (although I do forget how the HFA played out exactly, so that could have been a resting starters thing), and barely beat the Eagles.

Point being, how much does the presence of Favre contribute tot heir chances? what would their percent likeliness be with him versus without him given the status of the conference? And does that spike in liklihood justify negating the spike you would get through a year of seasoning with Rodgers? I really don't know. I don't think anyone knows, but its not a ridiculous position to take if you are the Packers. And like I said, I would have just traded rodgers at some point, because this problem was definitely something forseeable.

I gotcha. I think our perspectives are different because our evaluation of GB as a team and the NFC as a Conference seem to differ so greatly. With Favre, I saw GB as the clear #2 team in the NFC behind DAL, and I think they had a legit shot at getting to the SB. I had the NYG at #3 and Minny at #4, and then quite a few teams bunched up together behind them, but I still would have taken GB over the rest of them (and it's not like we're talking about some 4-12 team that really had no shot at all). I also think that having Favre improved the chances of GB getting to the SB this year by a much larger margin than 10% over Rodgers. Much larger. Plus, I tend to feel that the statements about Favre not being an asset to his team for the two years prior to last year are overblown assertions. He didn't have great statistical seasons, but it wasn't that his skill set had diminished, rather, there was very little talent around him at the time. He didn't have much to work with, so he had to force the ball consistently to try to win games (more than he already naturally does) and that resulted in poor numbers. But GB was returning all the major talent it had last year, so that doesn't really come into play. I also don't think Brett's motivation really comes into play either. He had gone through similar thoughts of retirement the past two years and it didn't seem to affect his game play at all, and no one questions his focus or desire on the field, so I don't envision that motivation would have been a big issue at all. You are right though, this seems to come down to how much better you thought Favre made GB in the short-term versus how much better you think a year of "seasoning" makes Rodgers so that he can help GB in the long-term. Personally, I thought the Favre option far outweighed, and was far more realistic than the Rodgers' one, so that's the camp I tend to be in...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:35 pm

This just in.

Favre has retired again. }:-) :-D
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guru13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:31 pm

RiffRaff wrote:This just in.

Favre has retired again. }:-) :-D

I wouldn't be at all surprised.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 pm

moochman wrote:
Popcynical wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:Ugh, so tired of everyone saying they feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers...Why? He just got handed the starting QB position for a storied franchise that he did not earn. :-t

Obviously nobody feels sorry for him now...

I feel as sorry as I can for Mr. Rogers. He no longer has Favre shirttail to hide behind. He should have told the Pack that it would be best to bring Favre back, you know to win that Superbowl thingy, and BTW since I will be deferring my ascent to the throne you should sign me to a new contract. See, there is a 50-50 shot that Rogers isn't ready, able, or hardy enough to play QB. He is now about to be exposed. Good luck.

Rejoice dgan. Your team is a corp. They can take action to change the managaement team. My team is owned. We need an act of a God who obviously doesn't like us to change our fate.

Who's Rogers - Packers QB is Rodgers! ;-) :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk