Aaron Rodgers: Sleeper or Sinker? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Aaron Rodgers: Sleeper or Sinker?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Aaron Rodgers: Sleeper or Sinker?

Postby ZanaKrembs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:49 pm

Aaron Rodgers is trying to fill Brett Farve's shoes. But his remarks about how the Packers fans need to "get with it or shut up" arn't doing him any good. With long hair grown out to show he's not clean cut like #4, is he just making trouble or is he the real deal? He played well in the 2 1/2 quaters of the Cowboys/Packers game last Thanksgiving, but is that a sign of things to come? Or is his behavor going to sink him for the season? Thoughts anyone?
ZanaKrembs
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Aaron Rodgers: Sleeper or Sinker?

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 pm

I think he's got a great chance to do well. The pressure of following in Brett Favres shoes could possibly get to him and if he lets fans like that get to him he might start sucking. But he's been learning from the best in the business for the past 3 years. I'll bet he's really wanting to show his stuff now that he's got this chance. But hold everything, Favre could still come back.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:22 am

Those 2 quarters vs Dallas shouldn't mean much, If I can recall Leinart came out Monday Night football vs the Bears who had the best defense that year and played great, everyone was all over him, and he hasn't played even half that good since...Its one thing to come in vs a defense gameplanning for a different QB, its another when teams are scouting you all week and are prepared for you.

He has a great situation around him though, and he had time to sit and learn, so I like his chances, I just wouldn't take somebody unproven that early.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby footballsimp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:33 am

he will sink like a stone
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Crackajg » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:48 pm

You gotta feel for the guy no matter what happens, especially with all of this new Brett Favre stuff coming out. If I were him, I'd just asked to be traded. There's only so much you can put up with. When he was behind Favre, he was still in the position of having to fill the shoes -- but he was the obvious successor. But then the Packers drafted Brian Brohm, just as Rodgers was about to take over the reigns.

I was actually really high on Brohm and should Favre fail to come back to the Packers, feel that he'll eventually win the job. Not that Rodgers is a bad QB, I just think the media spotlight would be way too much and he's been dealing with it for so long already.. I think he'll do some work, but on a different team.
Crackajg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:16 pm

He better be a Sleeper with all the wide receiver talent. And if the run game continues and he still cannot do it, retire and see if you can torture Pack fans like someone else does. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Polar Bear » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 pm

I have always believed that QBs that get time to site and watch from veterans fair much better then straight up rookies. I think Rodgers will be pretty good this year. I don't expect great, but I do think he will be a solid QB.

I also don't know if I would call him a sleeper. Everyone I talk to has them on their list of sleepers. How can you really be a sleeper if everyone knows about you.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Personally drafting Brohm wasn't a good sign to me...I understand he hasn't been given a shot to play yet but at the same time, he is a former 1st rd pick, usually when a team drafts a QB in the 1st rd, they don't follow up with another qb midway in the 2nd round before he is given a shot, so maybe they saw something they didn't like, or maybe they are just following the same path the Chargers and Falcons took, drafting another QB and then trading one off at some point when you find the guy you really like...I don't know if he will set the world on fire, but I would be very surprised if he was a bust, he has arguably the best WR core in the NFL, a solid line, good rushing attack, and you could also argue their defense is as talented as anyone in the NFC...Add to the fact he wasn't thrown into the fire, he got to sit and learn which is what you want from any QB.

It's anyone's guess right now how good he will play next year, but I think they will open up Monday Night vs the Vikings so we get a chance to see him in action on primetime.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:59 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
It's anyone's guess right now how good he will play next year, but I think they will open up Monday Night vs the Vikings so we get a chance to see him in action on primetime.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :-)
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Firemoth » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 am

It has been said before, but when the Packers draft QBs it isn't the vote of non-confidence it may be for other teams. Ron Wolf is still revered as GM there, and Ron Wolf was constantly drafting QBs behind Favre. Ted Thompson is doing the same.

That said the 2nd is pretty high to draft a QB, and if you think Brohm (or Flynn) would be able to hold onto the starting job if he gets a chance, it makes Rodgers a less reliable fantasy backup QB.

Packers QBs drafted in "Favre Era" - 1991+
GM Ron Wolf: 1991-2000
(Brett Favre: Trade with Falcons for 1st round pick, 1992)
Ty Detmer: 9, 1992
Mark Brunnel: 5, 1993
Jay Barker: 5, 1995
Kyle Wachholtz: 7, 1996
Ronnie McAda: 7, 1997
Matt Hasselbeck: 6, 1998
Aaron Brooks: 4, 1999
(Brunnel, Hasselbeck, and Brooks were eventually traded for draft picks, 3rd round or higher.)

GM Mike Sherman: 2001-2004
Craig Nall: 5, 2002

GM Ted Thompson: 2005-Present
Aaron Rogers: 1, 2005
Ingel Martin: 5, 2006
Brian Brohm 2: 2008
Matt Flynn 7: 2008
Firemoth
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)