Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby z raptor » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:35 am

Would like to get some expert takes on what u'all think of Harrison's potential for this upcoming season after this past injury-riddled season plus the recent off-field incident.

Thanks!!!
z raptor

z raptor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby footballsimp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Im staying away. If he falls to me in say the 8th round I will take him but having him as my number two would scare me.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sublimeandy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:01 pm

i'm more concerned about his problems with the law than the knee. i would think the knee should be fine by now. i think he will be a nice value pick in the right spot. if he fell to me as a bottom level wr2 in rd 4-5 i would take him.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:35 pm

In a redraft I wouldn't mind looking at him for a low WR3 or high WR4, but counting on him as anything more could prove to be a painful experience. As for keeper/dynasty leagues he would be a good rental vet for the year and a WR6 and nothing more. If he had a couple good games in a row I would also be looking to sell high based on his name alone.

I don't trust him to play a full 16 games this year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:50 pm

If he's healthy he's the steal of the draft. Funny what one injury can do to a guy's draft status after posting 8 straight years of double digit touchdowns. Very few WRs have posted productive years this far into their 30's. Tim Brown's last productive season was at 35, while Rice had relevant fantasy seasons clear to age 40. If you are a gambling type of guy, Harrison is your man. He's one of those picks that could put you over the top or sink your team, kinda of like Moss last year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby z raptor » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. Here's the reason for this inquiry. In one of my dynasty leagues (12-team w/ppr), the owner of Harrison is looking to trade him. I'm already good at WR, so he'd actually be about 4th on my depth chart at the moment behind Colston, Holt, & Marshall (also have V.Jackson & L.Robinson, but V.Jack is a ? to see if can continue like in the playoffs and L.Rob is a year away - really like him alot). Was thinking of offering D.Rhodes and see as I'm really loaded at RB (Sjack, MBIII, Grant, Rudi, Deuce, Booker, P.Thomas, B.Jackson, Norwood, & Rhodes).

Thanks again!
z raptor

z raptor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Humpback » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:55 pm

He's a high risk/reward type of guy, so in your situation, I'd certainly target him. I just don't think Rhodes will get it done. He really only has value if Addai gets hurt. I suppose it's worth a shot, but I really don't see that flying. Maybe try Deuce instead.
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:16 pm

I just know I would take the reports about his knee with a grain of salt, he was supposed to play what, at least 5 games last year that never happened, and every week he looked good and he probably would play, while owners were screwed almost every week...Injuries are one thing, knee injuries are another, and I just don't trust a guy on the wrong side of 30 with knee injuries...When he came back the SD game he looked scared to get hit, evident by the fumble as soon as he made a catch...I'm banking on Gonzalez putting up better numbers just because he will be healthy and Peyton looked like he developed a strong relationship with him towards the end of last year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:55 pm

A lot of good comments made in this thread. My 'guarded optimistic' thoughts on him are that he'll play all season albeit banged up here and there and produce 700+/6+, and I only put those numbers that high because it is after all the Colt's offense and Harrison knows it as well as anyone. My non-optimisitc view is that he'll play maybe 8 games for 400/4 or so. Alot of risk due to the age, injury, and off-field issues, but he is a great security blanket for Manning due to their comfort level. I should state here that I'm a Colts homer, so I love #88. :-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Fact is, even if Marvin Harrison comes back healthy, there's almost no chance he'll put up top ten numbers. Reason being, the emergence of other weapons in Indianapolis. Dallas Clark is a far more reliable target, especially in the red zone. Those ten touchdowns he scored last season are a sign that he's not just a better player, but a more trusted player in the Colts offense. Anthony Gonzalez, who had a very strong second half in 2007, should continue to get playing time in the slot. Gonzo had two 50+ yard TD's last season, both coming in the second half of the season. That's talent you can't keep on the bench for too long. Jacob Tamme, the Colts top skill position prospect, was one of the top pass-catching TE's in the draft. He'll get his share of touches in that offense. All-in-all, there are only so many passes to go around and Marvin's days as a 90+ catch player are all but gone. A healthy Marvin Harrison would likely catch 70-75 passes and 8-10 touchdowns at best. So, gamble on him if you like, but I think anyone looking to take Marvin should do so with far more realistic expectations given his situation.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk