Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:45 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:. A healthy Marvin Harrison would likely catch 70-75 passes and 8-10 touchdowns at best. So, gamble on him if you like, but I think anyone looking to take Marvin should do so with far more realistic expectations given his situation.


He would be a great value for where he is getting picked if he could put up those numbers. I don't think he can. He didn't recover last season like they hoped he would and I can swear I remember reading of him still having issues with the knees. I would have to see him drop past the 5th round before I would roll the dice on Marvin.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16302
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:23 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Fact is, even if Marvin Harrison comes back healthy, there's almost no chance he'll put up top ten numbers. Reason being, the emergence of other weapons in Indianapolis. Dallas Clark is a far more reliable target, especially in the red zone. Those ten touchdowns he scored last season are a sign that he's not just a better player, but a more trusted player in the Colts offense. Anthony Gonzalez, who had a very strong second half in 2007, should continue to get playing time in the slot. Gonzo had two 50+ yard TD's last season, both coming in the second half of the season. That's talent you can't keep on the bench for too long. Jacob Tamme, the Colts top skill position prospect, was one of the top pass-catching TE's in the draft. He'll get his share of touches in that offense. All-in-all, there are only so many passes to go around and Marvin's days as a 90+ catch player are all but gone. A healthy Marvin Harrison would likely catch 70-75 passes and 8-10 touchdowns at best. So, gamble on him if you like, but I think anyone looking to take Marvin should do so with far more realistic expectations given his situation.

I know you are a big colts fan, so I do respect your opinion on the matter. Yes, he might have a decrease from his regular productivity, but there is always that Manning Harrison connection. A player who catches 70-75 passes is almost always a valuable no. 2 fantasy wideout but I disagree that is his ceiling. If the colts defense takes a hit, which I think it might this year since people are picking up more and more how to beat the cover 2, manning is gonna be slinging the ball around a lot more than he has had to. It's obviously a situation to watch going into camp, and I think marvin has a shot at 10-12 TDs with 1200 yards if he comes back strong. Jimmy smith and Rod Smith could do it, and look at joey galloway who is having a quiet renaissance, there's no meat behind the age theory.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 5057
Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At the Mafia Cafe

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby Kilroy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:39 am

skibrett15 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Fact is, even if Marvin Harrison comes back healthy, there's almost no chance he'll put up top ten numbers. Reason being, the emergence of other weapons in Indianapolis. Dallas Clark is a far more reliable target, especially in the red zone. Those ten touchdowns he scored last season are a sign that he's not just a better player, but a more trusted player in the Colts offense. Anthony Gonzalez, who had a very strong second half in 2007, should continue to get playing time in the slot. Gonzo had two 50+ yard TD's last season, both coming in the second half of the season. That's talent you can't keep on the bench for too long. Jacob Tamme, the Colts top skill position prospect, was one of the top pass-catching TE's in the draft. He'll get his share of touches in that offense. All-in-all, there are only so many passes to go around and Marvin's days as a 90+ catch player are all but gone. A healthy Marvin Harrison would likely catch 70-75 passes and 8-10 touchdowns at best. So, gamble on him if you like, but I think anyone looking to take Marvin should do so with far more realistic expectations given his situation.

I know you are a big colts fan, so I do respect your opinion on the matter. Yes, he might have a decrease from his regular productivity, but there is always that Manning Harrison connection. A player who catches 70-75 passes is almost always a valuable no. 2 fantasy wideout but I disagree that is his ceiling. If the colts defense takes a hit, which I think it might this year since people are picking up more and more how to beat the cover 2, manning is gonna be slinging the ball around a lot more than he has had to. It's obviously a situation to watch going into camp, and I think marvin has a shot at 10-12 TDs with 1200 yards if he comes back strong. Jimmy smith and Rod Smith could do it, and look at joey galloway who is having a quiet renaissance, there's no meat behind the age theory.


For every Joey Galloway there's a Joe Horn. Marvin gets anywhere near 1200-10 he could win leagues for folks given his ADP, but I can't say I see that happening.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby yankeekd25 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:01 pm

What is his value in a dynasty league? What round would you look to take him in? Like 13-15?
yankeekd25
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 491
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 30 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby biju » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am

yankeekd25 wrote:What is his value in a dynasty league? What round would you look to take him in? Like 13-15?


In our recent inaugural dynasty draft here at the Cafe he went 13.04, the 48th overall WR to go. ;-D
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby VaderFin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:47 am

The 2 mocks I have done so far this year had him go in the 7th and 8th rounds. I would have no problem taking a flyer on him in the 8th.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby Patchell » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:45 am

I took him at 13.1 in a dynasty draft here at the cafe.

If he stays healthy I still think he has a good chance at 1000+/10+TD
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1092
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Canada

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:51 am

On NFL live yesterday they were talking with Tony Dungy and he said they planned on bringing Harrison and Freeney back slowly and working them back into their old roles. Sounds like they don't expect Marvin to be ready to go full bore right away.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16302
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby Patchell » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:57 am

rotoword wrote:Colts coach Tony Dungy expects both WR Marvin Harrison (knee surgery) and DE Dwight Freeney (foot surgery) to be ready for the season opener.
The pair may not be ready for the start of training camp, but both should be eased in later in the summer. Dungy noted that Harrison was running with a smile because he was pain free. He also reiterated that Harrison is not a suspect in the April 29 Philadelphia shooting and that the team feels good about his status. Harrison is still a draft-day risk, but running without pain is one of the first concrete positives we've seen in his progress.
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1092
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Canada

Re: Marvin Harrison......opinions on this upcoming season.

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:06 pm

Not that I in any way want to see Marvin Harrison sitting on the bench, but I'd really love to see what 2008 draft choice Pierre Garcon can do. He played for division III Mount Union, but the kid ruled that division and made a big splash when he played against better competition in the Texas v. Nation game. Guy just seems like a major playmaker, but he's going to have to work his way up through the ranks. Can the preseason come any quicker, please!!!
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14333
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 7609

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 21:15 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact