Suggestions for IR Issues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Suggestions for IR Issues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Suggestions for IR Issues

Postby Mr.Joshua » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:47 am

Our IR policy is the biggest issue our league deals with every year. Policy - If your player is listed doubtful or out for the current weeks game, you can pick up a player that plays the same position. You then have 2 weeks to decide which player to keep and which one to let go. This works on a first come/first serve basis ( ex. 2 teams have a starting wr that is out for a week ). You have up until 5 minutes before kickoff to find out if your starter is doubtful or out and make the change. Last year teams were using different sources of info and the problems started. First, can you suggest a site that gives timely player status for games and second, what are your IR policy's? Thank you
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Suggestions for IR Issues

Postby LegendoftheFall » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:Our IR policy is the biggest issue our league deals with every year. Policy - If your player is listed doubtful or out for the current weeks game, you can pick up a player that plays the same position. You then have 2 weeks to decide which player to keep and which one to let go. This works on a first come/first serve basis ( ex. 2 teams have a starting wr that is out for a week ). You have up until 5 minutes before kickoff to find out if your starter is doubtful or out and make the change. Last year teams were using different sources of info and the problems started. First, can you suggest a site that gives timely player status for games and second, what are your IR policy's? Thank you

Thats an interesting way to handle the IR. Seems like it would get complicated keeping up with how long players have been on DL, who keeps up with the 2 week timeline? i cant reccomend a site, but i think you should all be using the same one so its standard across the board for the whole season. Could you just add a IR position to each team, so each team can hold one injured player and can pick up another until he gets off the IR? When the player returns from IR either he or the pickup will have to be dropped.

My leagues dont really have IR policies, just 6-7 bench positions, so you have to adjust your roster when a player gets hurt.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby treat24 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:08 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:Our IR policy is the biggest issue our league deals with every year. Policy - If your player is listed doubtful or out for the current weeks game, you can pick up a player that plays the same position. You then have 2 weeks to decide which player to keep and which one to let go. This works on a first come/first serve basis ( ex. 2 teams have a starting wr that is out for a week ). You have up until 5 minutes before kickoff to find out if your starter is doubtful or out and make the change. Last year teams were using different sources of info and the problems started. First, can you suggest a site that gives timely player status for games and second, what are your IR policy's? Thank you

Just pick one source and say it's final. Our league uses NFL.com's official injury report.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby The_Captain » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:48 pm

I have 4 leagues which use an IR position - 3 are configured on MFL (http://www.myfantasyleague.com) and 1 is on http://www.fleaflicker.com. I have the IR configured so that a player can only be placed on IR when their official NFL status is listed as IR or OUT (I don't mess with doubtful or probable because I take it for granted owners should be savvy enough to count on injuries happening during the season and have drafted a deep enough bench to handle doubtful or probable). Both sites use the Official NFL Injury report which is issued every Wednesday and Friday so I don't have to mess with where the information is coming from. Once a player is placed on IR, the team owner has the opportunity to pick up another player from the FA pool (based on waivers settings, FCFS, etc). When the injured player comes off IR, then the owner must decide whether to keep the player they picked up or return him to the FA pool to make room for the injured player.

Treat has an excellent point though, just pick a site and call it good.
Last edited by The_Captain on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:18 pm

The_Captain wrote:I have 4 leagues which use an IR position - 3 are configured on MFL (http://www.myfantasyleague.com) and 1 is on http://www.fleaflicker.com. I have the IR configured so that a player can only be placed on IR when their official NFL status is listed as IR or OUT (I don't mess with doubtful or probable because I take it for granted owners should be savvy enough to count on injuries happening during the season and have drafted a deep enough bench to handle doubtful or probable). Both sites use the Official NFL Injury report which is issued every Wednesday and Friday so I don't have to mess with where the information is coming from. Once a player is placed on IR, the team owner has the opportunity to pick up another player from the FA pool (based on waivers settings, FCFS, etc). When the injured player comes off IR, then the owner must decide whether to keep the player they picked up or return him to the FA pool to make sure for the injured player.

The awesome part about MFL is you don't have to do anything. It goes by the official NFL injury report. You can set MFL to doubtful, questionable, whatever you want. I love that.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby dream_017 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:31 pm

The_Captain wrote:I have 4 leagues which use an IR position - 3 are configured on MFL (http://www.myfantasyleague.com) and 1 is on http://www.fleaflicker.com. I have the IR configured so that a player can only be placed on IR when their official NFL status is listed as IR or OUT (I don't mess with doubtful or probable because I take it for granted owners should be savvy enough to count on injuries happening during the season and have drafted a deep enough bench to handle doubtful or probable). Both sites use the Official NFL Injury report which is issued every Wednesday and Friday so I don't have to mess with where the information is coming from. Once a player is placed on IR, the team owner has the opportunity to pick up another player from the FA pool (based on waivers settings, FCFS, etc). When the injured player comes off IR, then the owner must decide whether to keep the player they picked up or return him to the FA pool to make sure for the injured player.

This is the way to handle it ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:32 pm

The awesome part about MFL is you don't have to do anything. It goes by the official NFL injury report. You can set MFL to doubtful, questionable, whatever you want. I love that.

This was true up until last year. Last year, the NFL changed the method they used to require teams to report injury status during the week leading up to the weekend, and MFL didn't fully keep up with the change.

During the first part of the week, the NFL changed the reporting so that in the early part of the week, teams reported a "practice status" that differed from the traditional OUT, DOUBTFUL, PROBABLE, etc. which many leagues have their IR rules built around.

Monday thru Thursday, the teams report to the league office somthing like "will not practice", "limited practice", or some other goofy categories like that, and then the reports about injury status aren't filed until THU or FRI of each week.

For Leagues with tight rules around when players can be put on IR, this forces them to defer these decisions until very late in the week.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:47 pm

spodog wrote:

This was true up until last year. Last year, the NFL changed the method they used to require teams to report injury status during the week leading up to the weekend, and MFL didn't fully keep up with the change.

During the first part of the week, the NFL changed the reporting so that in the early part of the week, teams reported a "practice status" that differed from the traditional OUT, DOUBTFUL, PROBABLE, etc. which many leagues have their IR rules built around.

Monday thru Thursday, the teams report to the league office somthing like "will not practice", "limited practice", or some other goofy categories like that, and then the reports about injury status aren't filed until THU or FRI of each week.

For Leagues with tight rules around when players can be put on IR, this forces them to defer these decisions until very late in the week.

I thought the official injury report doesn't come out until Friday :-?

Actually I found this:
usatoday.com wrote:In 2004, the NFL's competition committee began requiring teams to file reports on their practice sessions. Teams are required to list who did not participate, fully participate or had limited participation in practice.

Teams playing Sunday games must submit practice reports every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The injury list must be submitted Friday and updated as needed Saturday. USA TODAY based its analysis on the Friday report.

The official report is on Friday it really doesn't have anything to do with the practice report. It has also been in place for a while so not sure why it would change things in MFL last year
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:19 pm

When does the injury report get updated?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer: For all Sunday and Monday games, the NFL releases the official injury report on Friday evenings. For Thursday games (including the first game of the season), the NFL releases an early official injury report for just these players on Tuesday evenings.

In addition, starting with the 2007 season, the NFL issues a "practice report" on Wednesday evenings.

Here is the info from MFL's own web site.

Prior to 2007, MFL showed the same things on Wed and Thur (when a lot of planning for the upcoming weekend is occurring) that the USAToday and other publications showed. Namely, it showed the OUT, DOUBTFUL, QUEST, PROBABLE designations if the team had already reported them to the league.

Beginning last year, MFL began to display this practice status information on WED, THUR and FRI until the official NFL injury reports were available.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:31 pm

spodog wrote:
When does the injury report get updated?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer: For all Sunday and Monday games, the NFL releases the official injury report on Friday evenings. For Thursday games (including the first game of the season), the NFL releases an early official injury report for just these players on Tuesday evenings.

In addition, starting with the 2007 season, the NFL issues a "practice report" on Wednesday evenings.

Here is the info from MFL's own web site.

Prior to 2007, MFL showed the same things on Wed and Thur (when a lot of planning for the upcoming weekend is occurring) that the USAToday and other publications showed. Namely, it showed the OUT, DOUBTFUL, QUEST, PROBABLE designations if the team had already reported them to the league.

Beginning last year, MFL began to display this practice status information on WED, THUR and FRI until the official NFL injury reports were available.

I guess I don't see the issue :-S The official report comes out on Friday and that is when they update players. Now that the practice reports are becoming more main stream they are including those as they are available.

I did not have a MFL league last year so I don't know if there were any issues or not. Someone isn't officially out until the report comes on Froday, whether they report it early or not or if the site has it listed or not early. My guess is that they more then likely leave up the previous weeks injury report status until the new one comes out so that really isn't any better for strict league rules on IR.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner