FootballGuys Draft Mag (and other magazines thread) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

FootballGuys Draft Mag (and other magazines thread)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: FootballGuys Draft Mag (and other magazines thread)

Postby treat24 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:28 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Yes it has a very in depth IDP section that breaks down lineman, LB's and DB's, and also in the back it has the game logs for every player, QB, WR, Rb, TE, and lets you see how they produced week to week which is pretty handy...But I'll more then likely check out the FFF like you guys to have something to compare it to.

yep, I have the one you have LS2 and the fanball guys one. I like that fanball puts out 4 over the summer, 3 guides and 1 cheatsheets only, updating throughout the summer, still outdated, but at least they try. :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby The Lung » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:30 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:I picked up Fantasy Football Weekly as I do annually for some reading material. I completely forgot that Fanball overhauled their entire staff, I believe due to a takeover sometime this year. It is the same format but is definitely an inferior product. Ted Carlson is still one of the writers, and I like him, but they have lost other staples such as Bo Mitchell and Anthony Maggio who really made the mag an entertaining read. The new guys offer a bunch of worthless drivel and they don't exactly make me feel comfortable with their overall fantasy football knowledge. Really a disappointment as I enjoyed picking this up each year.

John Tuvey is gone, too.

Of the original Fanball founders and writers (Paul Charchian, Bo Mitchell, John Tuvey, Rick Kamla, Ted Carlson, Court E. Mann, etc.) I think only Charch and Carlson are left. :~(
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Axl's Army » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Magazines are great entertainment for when my wife drags me to the grocery store. Other than that they all say the exact same things. The only interesting parts to them are the parts that are about strategy of the expert editors/writers when they draft. I appreciate this info.

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:38 pm

The Lung wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:I picked up Fantasy Football Weekly as I do annually for some reading material. I completely forgot that Fanball overhauled their entire staff, I believe due to a takeover sometime this year. It is the same format but is definitely an inferior product. Ted Carlson is still one of the writers, and I like him, but they have lost other staples such as Bo Mitchell and Anthony Maggio who really made the mag an entertaining read. The new guys offer a bunch of worthless drivel and they don't exactly make me feel comfortable with their overall fantasy football knowledge. Really a disappointment as I enjoyed picking this up each year.

John Tuvey is gone, too.

Of the original Fanball founders and writers (Paul Charchian, Bo Mitchell, John Tuvey, Rick Kamla, Ted Carlson, Court E. Mann, etc.) I think only Charch and Carlson are left. :~(

I've left Fanball for good because of this. I'm not impressed at all with the direction they're going. I've moved my $$$ league to MyFantasyLeague.com. I used them last year for a Cafe league and I liked it quite a bit. For the money (the same as Fanball) it's a FAR better product. Fanball's GUI looked like it was made by grade-school kids. It baffled me how it could be so horrible.

I haven't purchased a magazine in years, and I can't imagine why anyone would. The information is a month old! How can that be of real value? The Cafe and a few other sites online make far better resources for draft prep than anything put in print. There is nothing in a magazine that the Internet doesn't already know, but there is plenty on the Internet that Magazine X, printed a month ago, does not know.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:00 pm

knapplc wrote:There is nothing in a magazine that the Internet doesn't already know, but there is plenty on the Internet that Magazine X, printed a month ago, does not know.

Winner ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby dmacblue » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm

I think we are preaching to the choir when we talk about Internet info beign far superior in terms of quality and updated comapred to mags.

However, I always buy several as they pop up in the supermarkets, as there is something calming about runnign a hot tub and relaxing with a mock draft breakdown whilst in the distance the wife tries to contain 3 kids, 3 of their buddies, 2 tvs with Spongebob Squarepants, a housephone and 4 cellphones ringing, 2 garbage CDs blaring, the know it all neighbor (Mr. NahYouDontWannaDoItLikeThat) and a stupid yapping long haireded Chihuahua yelping like its all bad to the bone in its pink woven wolly socks!

Rant over..........Now wheres Fantasy Football Index mag and the bubble bath!

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:39 am

dmacblue wrote:I think we are preaching to the choir when we talk about Internet info beign far superior in terms of quality and updated comapred to mags.

However, I always buy several as they pop up in the supermarkets, as there is something calming about runnign a hot tub and relaxing with a mock draft breakdown whilst in the distance the wife tries to contain 3 kids, 3 of their buddies, 2 tvs with Spongebob Squarepants, a housephone and 4 cellphones ringing, 2 garbage CDs blaring, the know it all neighbor (Mr. NahYouDontWannaDoItLikeThat) and a stupid yapping long haireded Chihuahua yelping like its all bad to the bone in its pink woven wolly socks!

8-o

You, my friend, need the magazines. There's no shame in needing a little pick-me-up after that kind of day. Read in peace.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:45 am

knapplc wrote:
dmacblue wrote:I think we are preaching to the choir when we talk about Internet info beign far superior in terms of quality and updated comapred to mags.

8-o

You, my friend, need the magazines. There's no shame in needing a little pick-me-up after that kind of day. Read in peace.

agreed!

and Fantasy Football Index is already out. Has been all week in MN, so if it isn't where you live it will be soon.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby The Lung » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:08 am

So I broke down and bought one last night for some hot tub reading material. I compared the NFL, SportingNews, ESPN and a couple random ones I had never heard of. In the end the decision really came down to feature articles and price - the aforementioned were all $8.99 or $7.99 and without feature articles I was interested in. The FootballGuys mag was only $6.99, had better feature articles, and there was also the notion that I'd rather support the "little guy" than the multi-billion dollar corporate company. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby dmacblue » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:05 pm

treat24 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

8-o

agreed!

and Fantasy Football Index is already out. Has been all week in MN, so if it isn't where you live it will be soon.

Index is one of the very best reads each year. I like the articles, the reasonings behind each experts draft picks etc. Kinda ticked that you have to log on to the website to view their projections though, but they are worth the effort.

Agree 110% about supporting Football Guys over the big boys.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk