Fantasy Football Impact Report: Kevin Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football Impact Report: Kevin Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:01 pm

From: http://www.fanballnews.com/article.php?article_id=12250

Production for an NFL running back is all about opportunity. Just ask Michael Turner or Jerious Norwood, dynamic talents that haven't been able to show what they can do with a large share of carries. Kevin Smith wasn't on top of anyone's draft board. He doesn't have Darren McFadden's speed. He doesn't have Rashard Mendenhall's power or Jonathon Stewart's versatility. What he should have is the one thing that separates him from those talents: a lot of opportunities in his first NFL season. Smith will enter his rookie campaign as the favorite to start for the Lions at running back and therefore he needs to be on the radars of fantasy owners.

continued...
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fantasy Football Impact Report: Kevin Smith

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am

I am really curious to see how Smith does in exhibitions. I too am concerned about his lack of speed, power, and versatility. Also he has the stigma of being drafted by village idiot Matt Millen.
But he will get a legitimate shot to earn a starting spot in the NFL. I just don't know how fantasy relevant that will be.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:02 pm

moochman wrote:I am really curious to see how Smith does in exhibitions. I too am concerned about his lack of speed, power, and versatility. Also he has the stigma of being drafted by village idiot Matt Millen.
But he will get a legitimate shot to earn a starting spot in the NFL. I just don't know how fantasy relevant that will be.

I think some people had those same reservations about Shaun Alexander early in his career, but Smith will make up for it in the same way Alexander did, excellent vision...Smith has the best vision of this rookie RB class, he knows how to find the holes and the cutback lanes, in the same sense Alexander does...I don't think he will have any problem scoring in the redzone, or being a successful RB at the next level, he runs well inside and outside...I do have questions about all his mileage and how many years he can play, but that would be more of a question down the line unless he continues to get injured.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Axl's Army » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:33 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
moochman wrote:I am really curious to see how Smith does in exhibitions. I too am concerned about his lack of speed, power, and versatility. Also he has the stigma of being drafted by village idiot Matt Millen.

I think some people had those same reservations about Shaun Alexander early in his career, but Smith will make up for it in the same way Alexander did, excellent vision...Smith has the best vision of this rookie RB class, he knows how to find the holes and the cutback lanes, in the same sense Alexander does...I don't think he will have any problem scoring in the redzone, or being a successful RB at the next level, he runs well inside and outside...I do have questions about all his mileage and how many years he can play, but that would be more of a question down the line unless he continues to get injured.

Sean Alexander was a star at Alabama. You know, the SEC. Whereever it was Kevin Smith went wasn't against SEC competition. I cannot believe you'd compare the two. Seriously.

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Axl's Army wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:

Sean Alexander was a star at Alabama. You know, the SEC. Whereever it was Kevin Smith went wasn't against SEC competition. I cannot believe you'd compare the two. Seriously.

Smith played at UCF. Conference USA.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:24 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:

Smith played at UCF. Conference USA.

Exactly, I seem to remember another RB with great vision from that school as well...

I didn't know you couldn't compare two players unless they went to the same conference *shrugs*
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby footballsimp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:19 am

LS2throwed wrote:
I didn't know you couldn't compare two players unless they went to the same conference *shrugs*

You can compare anyone with anyone but that doesn't make it a good comparison. I agree Alexander and Smith aren't in the same ballpark...they're barely playing the same sport IMO.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:13 am

footballsimp wrote:LS2throwed wrote:

You can compare anyone with anyone but that doesn't make it a good comparison. I agree Alexander and Smith aren't in the same ballpark...they're barely playing the same sport IMO.

Should I quote you to all the different comparisons Kevin Smith has gotten? Most recently I've seen Joseph Addai, the other guy that played in an SEC conference, does that not make sense also? Or do you think Addai and Alexander are two completely different backs also?

I'm still failing to see as how this is a bad comparison, other then people chiming in to say "they aren't in the same league", if someone can tell me how these two backs are different, I'll buy it, not just "they shouldn't be compared", because I think alot of you are thinking about the league MVP Alexander and not him coming into the league considered too slow, with great patience and vision, you know, the exact same things Smith is going through now?

Positives: Good initial quickness to and through the hole. ... Flashes the explosiveness to attack the line of scrimmage, but his main asset is his vision and ability to pick and slide laterally along the line of scrimmage until he finds the hole. ... Good patience to allow his blocks to develop. ... Rare acceleration for a back of his size. ... Questions about his 40-yard dash time will be key, but Smith consistently demonstrates the sneaky football speed to out-run his opponents to the flanks despite their seemingly having the proper angle.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kev ... b-analysis

Very effective at avoiding low blocks, easily side-stepping the defenders...Short strider who waits for blocks to develop...Explodes through the holes and is elusive in tight quarters...Recently timed at 4.58 in the 40-yard dash

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/rev/apr ... xander.asp

Again which leads me back to my original post which I said, people had the same reservations about Alexander and his speed(which as you can see was a 4.58), but Alexander excelled through great vision and patience, the exact same things NFL.com had to say about Kevin Smith...So again, if somebody wants to tell me how these two should never be compared feel free, but like I've stated analyst have used the Addai comparisons quite a bit, who himself plays alot like Alexander...Think out of the box for a minute, people use NFL comparisons for almost every prospect coming into the draft, that doesn't mean thats the type of career he will have or where he is headed, but thats who his game reminds me of, and I tend to use my own comparisons instead of just copying the ones I've read before.
Last edited by LS2throwed on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby footballsimp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 am

If you think he is as good as Addai, draft him in the top 6 then....if you really believe that comparison and you really believe he can have the same impact as Alexander and Addai you better jump on him quick.

Me, I will wait a while and see.

Someone probably campared Ryan Leaf to Joe Montana one day.....yea.....um......

Clarrett was the next ________ fill in the gap with any awesome RB.

Fact is, he has played 0 snaps in the pro's. And he didn't run against tough competition in college either. UAB and Tulsa aren't exactly defensive juggernauts.

When he did run against an SEC team it was one of his worst performances....35 carries 119 yards 0 TD's for a stellar 3.4 ypa against Miss. St.

Alexander or Addai he is not.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:34 am

footballsimp wrote:If you think he is as good as Addai, draft him in the top 6 then....if you really believe that comparison and you really believe he can have the same impact as Alexander and Addai you better jump on him quick.

Me, I will wait a while and see.

Someone probably campared Ryan Leaf to Joe Montana one day.....yea.....um......

Clarrett was the next ________ fill in the gap with any awesome RB.

Fact is, he has played 0 snaps in the pro's. And he didn't run against tough competition in college either. UAB and Tulsa aren't exactly defensive juggernauts.

When he did run against an SEC team it was one of his worst performances....35 carries 119 yards 0 TD's for a stellar 3.4 ypa against Miss. St.

Alexander or Addai he is not.

Do you understand what a comparison even is? So because a guy played 0 snaps that means he shouldn't be compared to anyone ever? Come on now, do you follow the draft process at all? Just because your comparing a guy to Addai doesn't mean he thinks he will be that good(who by the way was picked at the end of the 1st round not the top 6)...Thats how it works, when you break down and scout a prospect you give him an NFL comparison, it happens ALLTHE TIME, just not with the good players...

And you forget to mention that when he faced Texas he had 27 carries, 150 yds, and 2 tds, but I guess that doesn't count either...A comparison doesn't mean he will be awesome in the pros you should understand that, guys can bust, any of them, but that doesn't bar them from an NFL comparison, if you watch the draft process closely you would realize that every single one of these players gets an NFL comparison of a best case scenario, its no different with him...Your twisting words around that nobody ever said, the article I read that compared him to Addai never said he would be that good, and I certainly NEVER said he would be as good as Alexander, but what is so hard for you to figure out he is a bigger back, doesn't have great timed speed, but he uses vision to find holes and is a patient runner, LIKE ALEXANDER...Thats it, that doesn't mean he will break the rushing record or have an incredible career, he could flat out bust but that doesn't stop a comparison from being true.

Or do you think that only top 5 picks are worth of NFL comparisons? I don't think its a coincidence that the scouting report I posted on both players sound like they are talking about the exact same guy.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero