Fantasy Football Impact Report: Kevin Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football Impact Report: Kevin Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fantasy Football Impact Report: Kevin Smith

Postby footballsimp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:43 am

We are talking impact.....I don't think he will have an incredible impact....you compare him to whoever you want.....I don't think he is going to be that good based on what we have seen so far.

I was pointing out comparissons are meaingless and pointless.

I also pointed out, since we haven't seen anything at the pro level, we can only judge from his college experience.

Running all over the Flamers (or Blazers) of UAB doesn't warrent him a place in the HOF just yet. I think he will be good. He could be great. His impact this year isn't going to be incredible however.

I see him at the bottom of a long list of starting RB's this year. I see him running for 600 yards and getting 5 or so scores. Not exactly something to wet your pants about and not exactly Shaun Alexander. I would compare him more to some other guy who will run for 600 yards and 6 TD's.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:49 am

I won't claim to know the proper comparison here, but one thing that really worries me about Kevin Smith *this year* is the number of touches he had last year. I can't seem to find the number, but I'm pretty sure he had over 400 touches last year and that is a lot. Maybe it's not the same as in the NFL, but it still makes me weary of him this year.

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:49 am

footballsimp wrote:We are talking impact.....I don't think he will have an incredible impact....you compare him to whoever you want.....I don't think he is going to be that good based on what we have seen so far.

I was pointing out comparissons are meaingless and pointless.

I also pointed out, since we haven't seen anything at the pro level, we can only judge from his college experience.

Running all over the Flamers (or Blazers) of UAB doesn't warrent him a place in the HOF just yet. I think he will be good. He could be great. His impact this year isn't going to be incredible however.

I see him at the bottom of a long list of starting RB's this year. I see him running for 600 yards and getting 5 or so scores. Not exactly something to wet your pants about and not exactly Shaun Alexander. I would compare him more to some other guy who will run for 600 yards and 6 TD's.

I guess you don't get it, I don't think he is going to be as good as Alexander either, or Addai or some of the other comparisons I've seen right off the bat, but that doesn't make a COMPARISON unwarranted...Your bringing up the HOF and again overexaggerating when the only thing I've said about him this entire thread is that he will make up for his lack of speed, with great vision like Alexander....What about that comment praises him to have a huge impact, tear it up his rookie year, or make the HOF? Better yet, whats untrue about that statement?

You don't make comparisons off of stats, I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion at all....It doesn't make a comparison right to compare him to a guy who had 600 yds and 5 td's, a comparison comes from watching two guys play, with similiar playing styles, similiar strengths, and similiar weaknesses, it has nothing to do if he ends up a dud or a stud at all...If thats the only way you compare players I guess Barry Sanders was exactly like Earl Campbell because both were really good and had alot of yards.

I never used the words "incredible impact" at all, and your assuming that because I said he reminds me of Alexander that means I think he is going to run for 30 TD's which isn't the case....I personally don't care if he rushes for 3 yards in his career, that doesn't change the fact that he as alot of similiarities to Alexander at this point.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 am

Back up off the guy, he just said he had good vision, like that of Shaun Alexander. I don't see the big deal.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:59 am

Again another scouting report on Smith:

Strengths: Prototypical speed for a RB, and overall one of the most athletic RB's in this class. Plays much faster then he times in at (4.49) . A natural running back with excellent vision and instincts. See's the hole at all times and pounds through it. Strong, tough, and powerful RB with very soft hands and will not drop passes. Fantastic balance to continue moving on his feet after contact. Extremely productive in his Senior year rushing for 2,567 and 29 TD's. Solid blocker.

And one on Alexander coming out:
A lot of scouts view Alabama’s Shaun Alexander as a soft back who doesn’t like to run hard inside and will fumble. He has shown great improvement in both of those areas, but Walter Payton he ain’t.

Alexander is a very skillful 215- to 220-pound runner with excellent vision and run skills. He is much more quick than fast and gets caught from behind at times. He has excellent short-area quickness and burst and consistently makes tacklers miss. His strength and balance have gotten better. Alexander is also doing a little better job protecting the ball, but he will still fumble. He was often used as a downfield receiver, which is somewhat unusual for most backs. Although he drops a few, he can also make some exceptional grabs. As a blocker, Alexander no longer is a non-factor and has become decent when it comes to picking up the blitz. He also seems to be a good goal-line runner.

Sound familiar? Doesn't sound like Alexander was a virtual lock for a rushing title or the TD record at this point either, but a comparison is a comparison point blank...These two have more then just a couple traits in common. ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby footballsimp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:06 am

Im sorry. i thought this thread was titled impact report. You can compare him to whoever. He may have vision like Alexander.

Does this statement qualify as a comparison:
I run a 6 second 40. I have a five inch vertical. I bench 140 pounds a couple times and I get winded walking from my desk to the water cooler BUT I compare Kevin Smith to me because like Kevin Smith, I have ten toes.

So in that statement...I would be comprable to Kevin Smith I take it.

This thread is about impact. I gave numbers that would suggest his impact....you gave a comparison. My numbers feel more concrete than your 'vision' comparison.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:18 am

footballsimp wrote:Im sorry. i thought this thread was titled impact report. You can compare him to whoever. He may have vision like Alexander.

Does this statement qualify as a comparison:
I run a 6 second 40. I have a five inch vertical. I bench 140 pounds a couple times and I get winded walking from my desk to the water cooler BUT I compare Kevin Smith to me because like Kevin Smith, I have ten toes.

So in that statement...I would be comprable to Kevin Smith I take it.

This thread is about impact. I gave numbers that would suggest his impact....you gave a comparison. My numbers feel more concrete than your 'vision' comparison.

What is this a competition? Ok, your numbers are more concrete, congratulations...It is a thread about impact, but its also about discussion of Kevin Smith, were we not allowed to have an opinion unless it offered stats, or were comparisons just barred outright from this thread? I'm not trying to say anything 'more concrete' then you, I just offered up my opinion, which I guess you had some sort of problem with.

LS2throwed wrote:
I think some people had those same reservations about Shaun Alexander early in his career, but Smith will make up for it in the same way Alexander did, excellent vision...Smith has the best vision of this rookie RB class, he knows how to find the holes and the cutback lanes, in the same sense Alexander does...I don't think he will have any problem scoring in the redzone, or being a successful RB at the next level, he runs well inside and outside...I do have questions about all his mileage and how many years he can play, but that would be more of a question down the line unless he continues to get injured.

Was that not allowed to be discussed in this thread?
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby VaderFin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 am

Smith had 450 carries last year. Here are some of his yard totals against BCS teams. Not necessarily the greatest BCS teams but BCS teams none the less.

217 yards vs NC State 2007
149 yards vs Texas 2007
55 yards vs USF 2007
119 yards vs Miss St. 2007
27 yards vs Florida 2006
71 yards vs Pitt 2006

The game against Texas he played great. The game against FL UCF got destroyed and were way behind from the start. I don't think Smith will ever be a star in the NFL but he has the potential to be decent in Detroit. I wouldn't want him as one of my starters but as a back up he could definitely come in handy.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:37 am

Just wanted to point out that I was just stating what school and conference he played in since someone said they did not know where he went. I do agree that the competition level definetly effects the STATS a player puts up, but when watching film the attributes and skills can be seen even against the most terrible of teams. I also agree that the thing that should weigh heavily on peoples minds is the number of touches the guy had in his college career. You see these college backs, specifically in the Big 10 (every Wisconsin running back comes to mind), that dominate college and could be great backs in the pros, but they are overused in college and end up not making it in the pros. Smith has a good skill set in certain areas, but he does lack some of the desired features of a "featured" back in the NFL. He will get his chance this season IMO, and I think this season will tell you a lot about his future.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:44 am

To me backs in general are overrated. This includes Shaun Alexander. From 2001 to 2005 Shaun ran behind Hutch and Walter Jones and averaged 4.5ypc. In 2006 and 2007 he averaged 3.5ypc without Hutch. It's why Edge ran like wildfire in Indy and why he struggled in AZ. It's why Jamal Lewis can be a 2,000yd back one year and average under 4ypc the next 3 and then look like a stud again the year after that. It's why anyone could pretty much run in Denver for 10 years. That's why Thomas Jones sucked last year and will be a steal this year.

It's really mostly about offensive line with few exceptions (LT, Barry Sanders). Kevin Smith can have all the vision in the world. It really doesn't matter if it's just used to see guys better that are coming to cream him. If the kid is a full time starter for all 16 games, he's going to get the ball about 15 times per game. That's what Kevin Jones averaged the last 3 years. Give him about 3.7ypc and you got close to 900 yards. Give him about 6 scores. That's what Jones averaged when he was there. So if he's healthy and gets the load I see a max of about 900 and 6. With Martz gone you can figure the catches to go way down. Their defense is horrible. They made an attempt through the draft to improve it but those guys won't have much of an impact this year in particular. So you can expect the Lions to be getting thumped often. The teams in their division all have real good defenses too. Figure them to be throwing alot. While Smith may have the tools to succeed, don't expect him to do that well this year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk