What lesson did you learn last season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What lesson did you learn last season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What lesson did you learn last season?

Postby Polar Bear » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:06 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
I disagree. I think Edwards will have a good year with having some experience under his belt and knowing in the off season he is the starter. If you are saying his arm is not that strong, Tom Brady's isn't either and that did not stop him from exploiting Moss' deep threat ability

Treat -- Ok, not bounce back, but finally be the player he was projected to be

I don't doubt that Edwards can improve and have a decent year. But from what I saw last year, he's a game manager, not a playmaker. And Evans has nowhere near Moss' overall ability. Moss can go up and get the ball deep in double coverage, Evans can't. He's a one-trick pony: he'll beat you deep and be wide-open for long scores, but that's it. And I don't think Edwards has long-ball accuracy or the arm strength to get Evans the ball in those few situations where he's able to beat coverage. Now if Losman were the QB, it'd be a different situation. Losman sucks as an NFL QB, but he's great for Evans' fantasy value because he's able to exploit Evans' talent. Edwards, not so much...

This sums up Evans to me. While watching him last year I noticed that he is not all that physical, a poor route runner, and has a hard time when defenses focus on him. Losman throws a good deep ball which has always benefited Evans. I think Evans will have a decent year, but he is a number 3 WR at best. Of course if Hardy does well and takes some pressure off of Evans then he will produce more, but rookie WRs usually don't grasp an offense until late into their first year.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Cafe leagues are insanely difficult. I didnt finish top 3 with LT, SJax and Brady on my roster
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:36 am

I was one of the biggest Lee Evans fans out there last year, especially if you weren't relying on him week to week, if you could have him as a WR3, his huge weeks where he would explode could win some games for you, but as others have said he simply is not the same threat without Losman at the helm...I feel like Edwards arm strength probably gets overblown, his arm is strong enough, and they were conservative with him in and not letting him open up and go deep, but he really doesn't have the same deep ball Losman has, and I don't think he can get the ball out in front of him the way Losman could.

Hardy will probably develop into his favorite target, but other then that I see them being more conservative with their offense, and I don't know if he is a guy I would want to trust week to week, and I certainly don't think playing without Losman he can still rack up those 40 pt weeks owners were accustomed to.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Timbathia » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:57 am

Polar Bear wrote:
BigBadBrawler wrote:I don't doubt that Edwards can improve and have a decent year. But from what I saw last year, he's a game manager, not a playmaker. And Evans has nowhere near Moss' overall ability. Moss can go up and get the ball deep in double coverage, Evans can't. He's a one-trick pony: he'll beat you deep and be wide-open for long scores, but that's it. And I don't think Edwards has long-ball accuracy or the arm strength to get Evans the ball in those few situations where he's able to beat coverage. Now if Losman were the QB, it'd be a different situation. Losman sucks as an NFL QB, but he's great for Evans' fantasy value because he's able to exploit Evans' talent. Edwards, not so much...

This sums up Evans to me. While watching him last year I noticed that he is not all that physical, a poor route runner, and has a hard time when defenses focus on him. Losman throws a good deep ball which has always benefited Evans. I think Evans will have a decent year, but he is a number 3 WR at best. Of course if Hardy does well and takes some pressure off of Evans then he will produce more, but rookie WRs usually don't grasp an offense until late into their first year.

I guess the key for me in this is the lack of physicality, leading to Evans being a one-trick pony. I referred to SSmith in my original post who is a similar size and speed. SSmith works because he is a angry little SOB that you can get the ball to in a variety of situations, and he can run aggressively enough to make plays. Evans just runs deep, and for that to work you need the right QB with an o-line that gives you the time to throw it. Evans doesnt have enough anger management issues to just give him the ball in the flat and then watch him b*tch slap a cornerback to the ground before gaining yards.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kilroy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:21 am

stomperrob wrote:Hmm, lessons I learned...

Playing fantasy football in a league with Kilroy and Metroid is probably the funniest experience imaginable...

...but victory is bittersweet as you feel you are competing against special olympians!!! :-B

;-) ;-7 :-b

So happy to have amused you. }:-) :-D

I learned that sometimes the Teams that don't look so great on paper can win you titles while the Teams that look unbeatable end up getting, well, beat.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:55 am

That the idea of grabbing a qb late is a horrible idea.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Timbathia » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:That the idea of grabbing a qb late is a horrible idea.

You mean like drafting Favre last year in the round 13?, or Big Ben and Hass in the 9th? I always think that taking a QB after everyone else is the best plan.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eagles21 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:09 pm

What I learned:

Don't assume that you are good at the running back position, even if you draft RB's with your 1st 3 picks and think that you have 3 studs (I drafted Benson in the 2nd and Cadillac in the 3rd). Always look for value at RB later in the draft and on the waiver wire.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby redstorm41 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:10 am

I learned that drafting running backs in three of the first four rounds is not going to work a while. For the first time in years, I would have to do some studying on what kind of strategies to employ on the drafts that I'm going to do for the upcoming season. This could be a fun season for me.
redstorm41
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby calicocal@gmail.com » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:57 am

I learned to thank god when the guys you're playing benches Donavan McNabb the week he has his 40pt game :)
calicocal@gmail.com
Monday Morning Quarterback

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk