What lesson did you learn last season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What lesson did you learn last season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What lesson did you learn last season?

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:28 pm

I learned that having God on your team helps.

I was playing in the championship against the guy who had Westy. Westy had a clear lane to the endzone and while my opponent was already dancing a jig, well lets just say that guy may never play fantasy football again!

I won by 1 point. I bought a new ipod with my winnings.

hehe
John Galt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 am

John Galt wrote:I learned that having God on your team helps.

I was playing in the championship against the guy who had Westy. Westy had a clear lane to the endzone and while my opponent was already dancing a jig, well lets just say that guy may never play fantasy football again!

I won by 1 point. I bought a new ipod with my winnings.

hehe

That play crushed a few teams that week. I read an article in which Larry Fitzgerald went up to Westbrook in the Pro Bowl and said "You killed my fantasy team!"
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:07 pm

Throwaway players in a trade shouldn't always be thrown away. I traded Housh and another guy for Welker and Ronnie Brown early last season, and I really only wanted Brown (there was someone I wanted off the WW more than Welker). I almost immediately threw Welker back into the free agent pool (this is before he became Brady's security blanket). Within two weeks, Welker was routinely putting up 100+ yd receiving games and Brown was on IR. I got unlucky with Brown, but I got arrogant with Welker. Sometimes the throwaway guy should be thrown away, but you need to put in the analysis on the guy before you dump him.

If you have a stud QB that rarely gets hit (Peyton, Brady, Brees), don't bother drafting a backup QB because the most likely scenario is that QB will sit on the bench every week except your starter's bye. There will be someone decent available that you can pick up as the season wears on to start that bye week. If your stud gets hurt, the guy that you drafted in the 11th round as a backup won't save your season anyway. Better to use that 11th round pick on a WR or RB that might break out.

RBs are a crapshoot, but the more shots you take, the more crap you hit. Most of my leagues have at least one bench spot for every starter. I am going to try to accumulate studs for the starting positions, get a kicker and defense in the last two rounds, get service-able backup WRs at some point, and get RBs with every other pick. So in a standard non-flex league (start 2 WRs), my roster going into the season would have be 4-5 WRs, 7-8 RBs, and 1 each at QB, TE, K, and DST. Some of those RBs will be dropped for bye week replacements as the season wears on, but some will find the starting lineup or the trading block, too.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FantasyFootballRocks » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:35 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Quarterback by committee does work ;-D

This strategy is seventeen times better than taking a qb in the first 4 rounds.
Check out this awesome football sim http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=14217686
FantasyFootballRocks
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:03 pm

bump
J.C.Fighter
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:58 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Quarterback by committee does work ;-D

Except when I doesn't. I have done a QBBC for the past two years and it has been a headache.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:11 pm

I learned to not cut a QB in a dynasty salary cap league just because he says he retires. :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Jagator73 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:17 pm

I learned:
1. to know the extent of players injuries prior to a draft, and also to pay attention to bye weeks in relation to your team while drafting
2. to not get caught up trying to stockpile a certain position or pick a Def too early and neglect to get a decent starting QB, then wind up with someone liek A. Smith or Leinart.
3. to not worry about or follow trends during a draft like a rash of TE's all the sudden going off the board. Stick to your plan.
4. try to get at least 2 "feature" RB's although I guess these days it's harder to do since commitee's are so common, hell i'm a huge MJD fan but I might grab Turner or J Lewis before him simply b/c they will get more touches, which ties into the last thing I learned - don't reach too high for homer picks, although I love it when other people do it during drafts, especially Cowboy fans!
Jagator73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Get a good QB, good I mean top 3. Don't wait past round three to get one, they are vital. I scored the most points last year in my main money league by having a top QB, I have never done that.

At least in my league, top WRs are worth almost as much as a lower end RB1.

Having a good TE gives you a very proportional advantage on your opponent.

Don't draft kickers/defenses before the 13th round.

Always keep in mind players that you will target for at the end of the season, for playoff run.

And lastly, don't worry too much about your draft, if you did okay....that could still be good. Remember the team that you drafted will be VERY DIFFERENT from the team you end up with.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:20 am

mystykoekaki wrote:Get a good QB, good I mean top 3. Don't wait past round three to get one, they are vital. I scored the most points last year in my main money league by having a top QB, I have never done that.

At least in my league, top WRs are worth almost as much as a lower end RB1.

Having a good TE gives you a very proportional advantage on your opponent.

Don't draft kickers/defenses before the 13th round.

Always keep in mind players that you will target for at the end of the season, for playoff run.

And lastly, don't worry too much about your draft, if you did okay....that could still be good. Remember the team that you drafted will be VERY DIFFERENT from the team you end up with.

Here is one I learned the year before.

Have an emergency guy for each round at each of the big three positions. Everyone has their rankings, but sometimes you get caught in a panic moment and need to make a reach/grab after a run. So set a realistic QB/WR/RB for each round. That way in round 10 when your chart is a mess and you realize you really need something you can look down and see that your "emergency" guy is Kitna, or Ray Rice or Justin Gage..
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk