Brew your own beer? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Brew your own beer?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brew your own beer?

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:41 pm

No, I don't mean Mr. Beer, or something like that.

I'm mulling around two different ideas. One is going someplace like this: http://www.thebrewkettle.com. With this you go and pick a recipe, brew the beer, leave it to ferment, and come back and bottle it. Over 75 different recipes, and you can add your own flair.

Then there are things like this: Image

Anyone have experience with either way of brewing your own beer? Success? Horror Stories?
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brew your own beer?

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 pm

I have never tried it, but I know a few guys who have. Most of their stories end with either "and then stuff exploded, and I threw all the equipment out" or "and then I got married and my wife said we didn't need it any more." The exploding during fermentation wouldn't be an issue (at least not for you) if you do it at the brew kettle place and then went back to bottle it up. Sounds like it could be interesting, if you go ahead with it, please let us know how it turns out. Send me a sixer if it turns out well :-D

Also, how much % more $$ is it to do it at the kettle place versus going the home route?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:16 pm

I knew a couple guys who tried brewing their own beer. Neither of them suffered any explosions, but the final result wasn't anything great. One guy's beer tasted like weaker Miller Lite (he was aiming for a light lager) and the other guy's beer just tasted bad (he was aiming for Sam Adams Boston Ale). I've talked to the guy who owns the local brew and grow (he focused more on "grow" than brew, if you get my meaning) and basically he said there has to be a lot of attempts and experimentation to get a good taste. In the end, it seemed like home brewing would have cost a lot initially along with lots of time getting the recipe right, and I've got nowhere near the patience or desire to do that.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Add me to the list of people who have had friends that did it. :-B

They did quite a few different batches and had mixed results, it's something you have to really practice at...or go to school for to get any sort of consistent quality results. There's a reason brewmasters are like chemists. :-b

In the end they both decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Good luck though and let us know what you decide. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm sure if you sent out free samples to cafe'rs they'd let you kow how it tasted. ;-7 :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:39 pm

The only guy I know of, was this one ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby treat24 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Yes I have, and I've had good and bad. One thing for sure, put the bottles in the oven and make sure you sterilize them... Not sterilizing the bottles makes every batch bad very quickly.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:33 pm

treat24 wrote:Yes I have, and I've had good and bad. One thing for sure, put the bottles in the oven and make sure you sterilize them... Not sterilizing the bottles makes every batch bad very quickly.

Exactly. It's so easy to just go to the store or in special cases the local brew pub to get something fresh.

In a perfect world, it would rain beer, and my roof would be a funnel. To my mouth.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:51 pm

I've known a couple of people who have tried their own homebrew and I'd like to try brewing some time (not sure how detailed BeerAdvocate's tutorials are). Besides, microbrews are relatively easy to get around here especially when Stone and Alesmith are two hours drive away. ;-D :-L
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:19 am

Metroid wrote:Add me to the list of people who have had friends that did it. :-B

:-B x 2.

Had a buddy that tried it years ago and it really sucked so I had no desire to try it myself. I did get a bottle from a guy in the company who makes his own beer and it was really good. He wanted the bottle back. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk