Brew your own beer? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Brew your own beer?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Brew your own beer?

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:39 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:Add me to the list of people who have had friends that did it. :-B

:-B x 2.

Had a buddy that tried it years ago and it really sucked so I had no desire to try it myself. I did get a bottle from a guy in the company who makes his own beer and it was really good. He wanted the bottle back. :-b

Yea, I think that is pretty common. The bottles cost $$$. My Cousin always asked for his back too when he brewed.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:20 am

The Balanced Man wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:Add me to the list of people who have had friends that did it. :-B

:-B x 2.

Had a buddy that tried it years ago and it really sucked so I had no desire to try it myself. I did get a bottle from a guy in the company who makes his own beer and it was really good. He wanted the bottle back. :-b

Yea, I think that is pretty common. The bottles cost $$$. My Cousin always asked for his back too when he brewed.

people who do canning ask the same thing. I don't mind bringing the jar/lid back if it means I'll get more goodies in the future.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:04 am

Just thought it was a bit odd, wondering how many people drank out of the bottle before me. No worse than a glass at a restaurant I suppose.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:11 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Just thought it was a bit odd, wondering how many people drank out of the bottle before me. No worse than a glass at a restaurant I suppose.

Probably more sanitary with the bottle. There are special sterilization techniques that are generally done, because bacteria comepletly ruins brewing beer.

Thats right, I've seen those 20/20 specials %-6
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:26 am

The Balanced Man wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Just thought it was a bit odd, wondering how many people drank out of the bottle before me. No worse than a glass at a restaurant I suppose.

Probably more sanitary with the bottle. There are special sterilization techniques that are generally done, because bacteria comepletly ruins brewing beer.

Thats right, I've seen those 20/20 specials %-6

or read my post on the first page :) :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 am

I've tried it twice, never with a brew-at-home kit, both times at a brew facility. I didn't like it the first time I tried it but decided to give it another shot at a different store - turned out even worse. My brother-in-law tried a brew-at-home kit and it was undrinkable.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Heimholder » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Haven't been on the site for awhile but with the new season coming I've been doing some lurking and this caught my eye.

I got that exact kit for my birthday last fall and have put out 6-7 batches of 2 cases each, mostly Brewer's Best kits. I highly recommend it, to me it's been a fun hobby especially in the winter, and I like the taste of the beer if you follow the directions to the letter. I've even started creating my own recipes. It definitely has a unique taste - more hoppy and bitter than your typical commercial ale. But by now I'm to the point that I would drink mine over most commercial beers.

The time commitment isn't too bad either - count on a 3 hour slot with lots of waiting in between to boil and bucket the wort, then a week or 2 later maybe 2 hours to do the bottling. Set the oven timer for the first part and it's perfect to do with the game on. One of the worst "chores" would probably be all the sanitizing, but as mentioned, it is critical to keep bacteria out of it.

Also about reusing the bottles - it's not about the cost, as they are only 10 cents a piece. Really I think it's just a culture thing and a way to avoid the chore of peeling labels off reused commercial bottles. Trust me, they are far cleaner than the glasses you pull out of your cupboard.

And finally one of the funnest parts is giving it to people as unique inexpensive gifts or just for your buddies to try. I have several "miller lite-only" buddies who consider it a treat when I bring a 6-pack with me for a poker game.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

I think I'll continue to get my beer the old fashioned way.

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Stupid Canada.... :-B
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I think I'll continue to get my beer the old fashioned way.

Thats funny. I saw someone bottling some of that Canadian beer in the urinal yesterday. He said he drinks American beer and it comes out Canadian. :-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk