Jon Kitna, the Lions offense and Mike Martz's departure - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jon Kitna, the Lions offense and Mike Martz's departure

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jon Kitna, the Lions offense and Mike Martz's departure

Postby Crackajg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:23 pm

We were all pleasantly surprised with the Lions' early offensive play last year. The question is, how much of an impact will Mike Martz's departure have on some of the success the offense had last year? Will it have the most impact on Jon Kitna himself? They still have all of the weapons from last year, but they'll have to utilize them in a completely different scheme. Good or bad?

As for Martz, do you think his complex offensive scheme will be able to turn the 49ers into an at least functional offense?
Crackajg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jon Kitna, the Lions offense and Mike Martz's departure

Postby footballsimp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:54 pm

With the Lions, I see more running which means balance. Kevin Smith COULD do good things there.

I also see them running less 2-4WR sets and utilizing their bread and butter in better ways. Kitna's pass attempts go way down, which means his overall numbers go down too.

I dont see Roy Williams plummeting, maybe dropping a couple slots, I see Calvin Johnson improving on his rookie season.

But that is a total guess. They're gonna go to the play-offs this year didn't you hear.

As far as the 49ers go. That offense can't do any worse. I am banking on Gore playing the Marshall Faulk role. He is their only weapon, lets be realistic. I am looking at Isaac Bruce being their #1 receiver which doesn't say much. I will pay VERY close attention to how they use Vernon Davis. That to me will be one of the more interesting storylines this off-season.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Crackajg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:40 pm

footballsimp wrote:As far as the 49ers go. That offense can't do any worse. I am banking on Gore playing the Marshall Faulk role. He is their only weapon, lets be realistic. I am looking at Isaac Bruce being their #1 receiver which doesn't say much. I will pay VERY close attention to how they use Vernon Davis. That to me will be one of the more interesting storylines this off-season.

Yeah, I'm thinking Vernon Davis is going to benefit a lot from having Martz come to town. I know Martz isn't known for his tight end usage, but it's been reported he plans on using Davis as a wideout and that he's admitted he's never had a tight end like Vernon before.
Crackajg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mudd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:32 am

The Lions offense is going to awful this year. The Lions problem last year was NOT Martz, proof of this was early in the season. The Lions problem was they couldn't stop ANYONE and Martz had no other option but throw throw throw.

I think Martz gets a bad rap as a pass happy OC. I truly believe he is smart enough to use the weapons he has to the best of their ability. When he took over in STL, he had Bruce in his prime, Tory Holt and Az Haakim. Last year, he had a TERRIBLE Oline, a mediocre at best RB, and all the weapons on O were at WR.

I also believe the 9ers O will be good enough to sustain some drives, and let the D rest, which will be much improved this year. This in turn will give Gore many carries late in the game. I think the biggest concern with 9ers is at the QB position. I think Smith is more than capable, but it will take him 4-6 games to get completely comfortable. Once that happens, it 9ers could be a very interesting team.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:58 am

Where to start. The Lions got rid of Martz, whose track record suggest is genius as an OC. They replaced him with Colletto, whose track record suggest he is an idiot as an OC.
They have one proven vet RB coming off his worst season of his career, and a rookie taken in the 3rd round.
They passed on the better OL for more of a reach in Cherilus.
They want to commit to a conservative run first game plan.
They have a terrible D.
Kitna will be allowed to call more audibles.
Passing game will be more basic.

I can see the run game improve if only becuase of increased number of carries. Commitment will equal some measure of improvement.
I can see the pass game diminished greatly. Gone are 4K yd seasons from Kitna. He will audible into pass plays that won't have Martz knack for surprise and that will equal more INTs and less TDs.
I can see Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson still putting up FFB viable numbers, but Furrey and McDonalds days in the un have passed.
Bell and Smith will have a fight to see who gets the bulk of what will likely be mediocre numbers. Look for a vet RB signing before the season starts, so that could change things.

I guess I cannot be as optimistic on Kitna's chances to be near the FFB force he was the last two seasons. Increased risk and decreased reward.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:30 pm

I still see Roy and CJ2 having solid years. They are too talented not to get open and catch passes. They also can make things happen after they get the ball
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk