Unique question ... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Unique question ...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Unique question ...

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Hey all. Have an interesting situation and thought perhaps someone here could help me out. My 18-year-old son (we adopted him at age 15) has wanted to get into the Army as a life goal ever since we met him. He graduated from high school in May and would be enlisted and at boot camp right now, except that his ASVAB score is too low. Does anyone know if there are any programs to help people up their ASVAB scores in relation to the Army? Is there any chance that he could start boot camp while studying and improving his ASVAB scores on the side? He's a good kid who would be an asset for the Army -- and I think he'd get a lot from the experience, as well.

Thanks
WP
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Unique question ...

Postby knapplc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Wanting to serve your country in the armed forces is a noble pursuit. I commend your son for his choice.

There are lots of sites out there that offer ASVAB test prep stuff, many for free, but from what I saw there weren't any that were actually from the armed forces. That's not necessarily a knock against them, but if you use something like that I would do some legwork to see if it's legit first. You'd hate to have the kid waste his time on "prep" work that doesn't apply.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Is that the type of thing you could ask your local recruiter for direction on? Would make sense they'd have guidance on this type of thing.

Best of luck to your son!
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:01 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Is that the type of thing you could ask your local recruiter for direction on? Would make sense they'd have guidance on this type of thing.

I would agree that your best option would be to find a recruiter that you trust and get some input on it.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:07 pm

To be honest, I initially thought that the test would be so easy.

I looked it up online and had no idea on some questions. I would have gotten everyone wrong in Auto/Shop.

What does this test serve to do? Just curious.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dolfin99 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:28 am

Unfortunately, he must pass the ASVAB prior to enlisting in the Army. This is a very good site for practice tests and it is legit: http://www.military.com/ASVAB He can also get the study guides, which are a great tool in preparing for the ASVAB. Barrons is probably the best study guide. That is what I used when I prepared for the ASVAB 16 years ago and it still is the best out there.

As far as the test goes, just have him take his time and answer every question. There is no penalty for wrong answers. If he has 10 questions to go and only 30 seconds, pick a letter and fill them in.

If you have any further questions, let me know.
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Hey, a guy I work with has a relative who is wanting to enlist and is having difficulty with this test. I've forwarded the information dolfin posted. If you guys find other sites/study aids that are helpful, please let us (me) know so I can send the information along.

Thanks.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:26 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:Is that the type of thing you could ask your local recruiter for direction on? Would make sense they'd have guidance on this type of thing.

I would agree that your best option would be to find a recruiter that you trust and get some input on it.

This is what came to mind first for me too, but Dolfin's the man to ask obviously. ;-D

Congratulations on raising a good kid WP. He's done the hard part already, making the decision to enlist. Good luck to him and the rest of your family. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Return to General Talk