Texans WR Situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Texans WR Situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Texans WR Situation

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:16 am

Since the focus somewhat shifted to Houston's passing game in the Texans RB thread, how would you guys rank there WRs (Davis, Walters & Jacoby Jones) after Andre Johnson?
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Texans WR Situation

Postby biju » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:39 am

I feel Kevin Walter is rather underrated as a WR and he's my #2 on the team followed by Jacoby Jones. Andre Davis to me seems to be the benefactor when someone is injured, otherwise I see him doing kick returns and getting into the occasional 4 wide sets for some yardage but not worth a roster spot IMO.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:43 am

Aren't they going to try Jacoby Jones on returns? He was electric there before he got hurt.
I think there should be enough three WR sets to make Walter a real solid #3 and Davis a good late round flier.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby MrTwo94 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:48 pm

There hasn't been a lot of talk about it yet. They want Jones to be the WR2 at some point. If that is this year then he could provide a lot of value but Walter did well last year and the coaches will probably reward him with the WR2 spot this year unless Jones really outshines him. For what it's worth, I think Jones will be getting punt return duties while Davis will stick to kickoff returns.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 pm

biju wrote:I feel Kevin Walter is rather underrated as a WR and he's my #2 on the team followed by Jacoby Jones. Andre Davis to me seems to be the benefactor when someone is injured, otherwise I see him doing kick returns and getting into the occasional 4 wide sets for some yardage but not worth a roster spot IMO.

For this exact reason I think Andre Davis has good value in leagues that award some, but not necessarily equal points for return yards. If Johnson goes down, or one of the other two go down, count on Davis having some big games between return yards and receiving yards. He has the chance to catch a bomb TD with his speed, and I think he had great production when johnson went down last year

When johnson was out between weeks 3-8, Davis has 2 TDs and 4 70+ yard games. Once he took over as full time KR in week 7 he never dips below 67 return yards, and has 6 100+ return yard games including 3 TDs. Granted, 1 of those games was a huge one in week 17, but it still bodes well for this year. In leagues that give a point per 20/25/30 yards, I think Davis could be a solid WR3. He will get you consistently 5-7 points, plus he has a shot for some nice 18-19 point games, probably 2 of those. If he rips a return TD and catches one also, I think he can post 25+ once this year. 4/97/1 plus 7/180/1 return yards seems possible which is 27.7 in a 30 yards per return point non PPR league.

This type of league is not uncommon and I think he is draftable as a late round wideout who actually is somewhat of a steal/safe pick because of his return ability which will make him consistent.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:05 pm

I like Jacoby Jones the most out of this bunch, because when Andre went down Jacoby stepped into the starting role, and before he seperated his shoulder towards the end of that game he was looking like he had the tools to be a #1, and for a rookie it was a very impressive showing....He showed more promise then alot of rookies ever get to, especially for a guy from a small school like Lane...Athletically he is further along then Walters already, and he is great with the ball in his hands after the catch, but they might like his fit better in the slot.

If its a dynasty he is the only guy I would target, I saw him personally and have been following him since he came out, while guys like James Jones will probably go sooner he provides more upside and has a much higher ceiling, thats really what I aim for late in dynasties...I think in his 3rd or 4th year he will be primed for a breakout towards 1000 yds in a season, he's a guy that needs the ball in his hands and I'm pretty sure the coaching staff will find ways to make it happen.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby timoshimoon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:19 pm

I really like Jacoby Jones! I'm hoping he can step up and become #2 for his team. Jacoby Jones looked great returning kicks in the preseason last year and I really liked what he showed last year until he got hurt.
madaslives911 for president!
2007-2008 10-Team House of Pain League
QB-Hass
RB-Gore-LJ-Lynch-Deangelo
WR-A.Johnson-Fitz-Roddy-R.Williams
TE-Witten
timoshimoon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk