How do I make my friend stop? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

How do I make my friend stop?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do I make my friend stop?

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 am

Here's the problem. Over the years my friend has forwarded me several emails. She is, apparently, on that chain of people who gets these bizarre, false emails that we hear so much about, several of which have been posted here over the years and debunked. I've responded to several of these with links to the real story, or links to Snopes, and politely asked her to check the facts on these things before she forwards them on to people.

Apparently, she has yet to realize this is good advice. :-[

Today I get another one. This time it's Jay Leno telling us to buck up and appreciate what we have as Americans. It's also not real. Here's the link to the Snopes page about this thing. Here's the link to the original message by Craig R. Smith. If you read the original, you'll see how the email forward has been modified, and how its message has been subtly altered.

So what do I do? How do I make my friend stop sending me this nonsense? How do I make my friend, who is not an idiot by the way, realize that all of these forwards are bogus? What is this mania that people seem to have about this stuff? Why do they ever believe it in the first place?

:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How do I make my friend stop?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:43 am

when you figure it out let me know so i can tell my wife how to stop. she does the same thing, along with forwarding me EVERY stupid chain letter she gets. i tell her i dont read them and only to send me funny stuff but she still does it anyway

it sounds like you've already told her, so i all i can say is just delete them as they come in...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:27 pm

I know some mail applications allow rules to be set up to screen incoming emails, so you could have anything from her address that's a Fw: be sent to a folder that empties itself automatically every so often. I know that's not actually getting her to stop, but it might ease the pain.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Write even more ridiculous one's and send them to her until she gets the message.

I would recommend skimming "The Globe" and "Fox News" for ideas.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Write even more ridiculous one's and send them to her until she gets the message.

Subscribe to every topic in GT using her email address for post update notifications :-B
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Unless you want to completely ridicule and demean her there is nothing you can really do. It sounds like you've already asked her to stop but she continues sending bogus junk. You've already tried to rid her of her ignorance by showing her snopes, and attempting to make her fact check her articles.

VHawk's idea might actually work. However by sending her bogus e-mails you risk either receiving more from her or losing a friend because she might think you're mocking her.

If you figure it out, let me know. I have a friend who forwards those dumb chain letters "If you don't send this to 12 people by midnight a horse will trample you to death in your sleep".

Good luck, you'll need it. :-°
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:50 pm

Ban her. :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:54 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Write even more ridiculous one's and send them to her until she gets the message.

I would recommend skimming "The Globe" and "Fox News" for ideas.

Better yet... MoveOn.org
(you'll find all sorts of goofy stuff in there). :-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 pm

I have a friend who does the same and I've done the same as you already with similar results - not much more ya can do without putting your friendship in peril, so just keep hitting delete!
:-/

Or, ya could write up a nice obituary for yourself and forward it to her! ;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:07 pm

scottaa1 wrote:

Subscribe to every topic in GT using her email address for post update notifications :-B

I like this idea. ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Next

Return to General Talk